VOGONS

Reply 460 of 3172, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

Still a moderately "nice to have" feature for folks who like their hardware unmodified - sure you could design a small ISA plugin board or hack another random ISA card to supply the voltage along its' usual functions, but that would either take up a whole slot or look "hack-ish". I've upscaled the normal -5V generator circuit for now (by means of power output and physically), with a jumper allowing the -5V to remain either local or be fed back to the mainboard along supplying the -5V to the amp on the card - also fills up a bit of unused space in the analog section (right part of the mainboard) so it looks less empty and less like the reference board 😀

All is good ... just got partially annoyed when I first tried to add the circuit, expecting it to be a lot smaller than how it turned out to be.

Kudos! Awesome work. Even though I'll probably never use the -5v line, its still nice to have "just in case". It'll make the card be highly-useful for multiple setups. Though an addon daughterboard would have worked, this is great work!

😎

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 461 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shock__ wrote:

[...]
EDIT: Well, regardless of this day being supercrap otherwise and largely on the project - seems like the layout for including the -5V generator worked out this time.

awesome 😊 😊 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 462 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a random new screenshot (orientation of regulators might still change, whoever looks closely might see 2 issues there)
http://i.imgur.com/PZPSMjg.jpg

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 464 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are 2 folks who earned it (and basically are the reason this project isn't open source).
One being the guy who bought a collectible GUS compatible (virtually unused & boxed) from me for a fair price (60€) in 2013 and resold it on eBay in 2015 (240€ after offering it on various forums before including VOGONS) - sale was made under the premise it stays inside the community ... oops. Don't worry, guy was a one time poster.
The other being a guy who can't change jumpers, yet charges/charged $160 for a clone board being worth $20 (he didn't even develop himself and the project being open source) and ordered 10 of those of course all for reselling. Oh, that guy is a regular here btw.

Great unveiling will happen once the boards go on their journeys - as I called them out in private or anonymously in public yet very recognizeable to them to clear things up, guess who weren't interested in that (first guy seemed to have left various communities afterwards even).

[Z?]

Reply 466 of 3172, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

Lol @ upper right

ditto. 🤣

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 467 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

May I suggest AmiBay as another forum that can be used to sell extra pcbs if available? I am pretty sure there are people there that will be interested in the card 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 468 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still working on the logo...
oVMxb_UqyFM.jpg

The star and the font take time to seem authentic. But tomorrow everything will be ready.

As I don't have any experience in putting Corel drawings on the silkscreen (as I already said, hyperborean designed the GUS PnP RAM adapter you're already aware of), so some help for converting it to 1-bit and putting in Eagle will be very much appreciated!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 469 of 3172, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice work on the logo!
I did a quick search as to what the original font could have been. Came up with two results.

First one is Futura No 8
If you use this one, give it a slight horizontal stretch/deformation (15% ?)

Second one is Zamenhof Solid
It looks mostly identical to the original text, although the notches in the N and W don't seem to go as much inside.

Attachments

• Interwave_Font.PNG
    Filename
    Interwave_Font.PNG
    File size
    10.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 470 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a small size comparision (yay, new paper prototype)
http://i.imgur.com/55zjj3u.jpg
As you can see the ARGUS will be minimaly longer than the Compaq SoundWave 32 (maybe 5mm at most) and a little shorter than the GUS PnP (maybe 15mm)
-5V supply to the mainboard has also been fully integrated ... what would be the proper name for that? -5V mainboard backfeed/feedback? -5V bus generation? Not really sure how to call it on the silkscreen.

I'll take your mainboard to the -5 volt dimension. Pay close attention! (free virtual cookie if you get the reference)

[Z?]

Reply 471 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ but will it be sent to outer space?

how about "ISA -5v generator" ?

Reply 472 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Simply "-5V supply", I guess. And yes, THANKS for implementing this! 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 473 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"-5V supply" doesn't really implicate that it's meant to go back to the ISA bus, wouldn't want folks to actually supply that voltage to the headers rather than realizing it's meant to supply it back to the mainboard.
"ISA -5V generator/supply" seems good to me tho. I think I'll go with that.

Slightly offtopic: Any recommendations for a multimeter in the ~200€ range? Just googled a bit and watched a few youtube reviews, any objections to the Fluke 175? Gonna check out Agilent branded ones as well later on.

[Z?]

Reply 476 of 3172, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

"

Slightly offtopic: Any recommendations for a multimeter in the ~200€ range? Just googled a bit and watched a few youtube reviews, any objections to the Fluke 175? Gonna check out Agilent branded ones as well later on.

The 175 is a well made meter (as are all Fluke meters), but its more geared towards higher powered needs like process controls. Its limited (but sometimes adequate) for electronics testing. I love all my Fluke meters, but I don't think I could recommend one if a budget is of primary concern.

Amprobe can be a better deal if the price is right. My 38xr has been a great little workhorse for a couple of years now. I've never used a Brymen, but all their reviews say they are best bang for the buck. The construction of Brymen meters seems to be fantastic considering the price.

Stay away from Uni-T brand meters. I bought a few a couple of years ago and 2 out of 3 have drifted out of spec on multiple ranges. Total junk.

BK Precision is a brand I can highly recommend for electronic bench needs. The 391a is my favorite and can be found new in your price range. Used ones are also worth considering as they are highly reliable after years of use.

If you really want a Fluke, then consider (if budget allows) an 87v. An older 87 or 87iii can be had on eBay for well under your listed price range and is way more meter than most people need out of one.

I hope some of that helps.

Reply 478 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kinda thinking to go with a cheap meter ($50-$100 segment or possibly just add an LCR/ESR Meter along to my current cheap Multimeter) for now and buy a high quality Fluke(87/28)/Agilent(U1273/U1272)/Gossen(MetraHIT Tech) in the $400 segment later on.

[Z?]