VOGONS

First post, by o0Nosferatu0o

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i'm new here but i've a big question :

Is it possible to pair an AWE64 Value with a Goldfinch? My idea was to give the Awe64 Value those 28mb of Ram available to the Goldfinch.

I own both cards but right now i can only get 512k from the AWE64 Value. I've tested the Goldfinch with at least 2MB and they are not detected in Win98Se. Am i doing something wrong?

Best regards,
Pedro Torres

i.e - I do have a lot of retro hardware i'm willing to sell - that includes Boxed Creative Capture Cards, graphic and sound cards but for now i'm not intitled to get to a sales thread.

Reply 1 of 5, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Goldfinch is actually a standalone Wavetable/General MIDI device. Basically AWE32 without a Soundblaster and other features. So there is no point using it together with AWE64. Also I don’t think there’s any way for AWE64 to access the memory of Goldfinch.

Ideally just pair Goldfinch with some SoundBlaster 16 or a clone and use an AUX cable to route Goldfinch’s output into SB16’s line in.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 4 of 5, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:

Also I don’t think there’s any way for AWE64 to access the memory of Goldfinch.

Yes. AFAIK The whole point of the on-card memory here, is to avoid the ISA bus when accessing soundfont samples during midi music generation. The ISA bus is too slow for this.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 5, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have a wavetable expansion header on your sound card, you can use a simple ribbon cable to connect them internally. That way you don't use up your CD audio connector, if you only have one and want to use it with a CD-ROM.

goldfinch.jpg
Filename
goldfinch.jpg
File size
49.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception