VOGONS

First post, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Win9x had the competing Aureal and A3D. Dos is a mind field of alternative to Creative cards but does WinXP have anything else apart from Creative/EAX?

Looking at Moby games other sound formats are for XP era were
Dolby Surround, Digital, Pro Logic II
THX

Which Audigy and X-fi cards can all do as well as apply EAX. so actually I'm still better off sticking with creative?

Hardware wise
Auzentech come up but well above my budget, sadly.
Asus Xonar is also mentioned alot, but apart from better sound quality I dont think it does anything the Creative cards cant right?

Am I missing anything here or had Creative successfully killed off any competition during the XP years

Reply 1 of 9, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Missing VIA sounds cards.AUDIOTRAK made cards built on the VIA chip sets that used their own firmware and drivers witch allowed more control over the card.

Last edited by dan86 on 2019-11-15, 15:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

What do VIA cards offer that a Creative card cant?

Both EXA2.0 and A3d. Full range equalizers unlike the simple bass trouble sliders most XP era sound blasters had, 3d sound and a lot of other neat sound effects things like Qsizzle and Qrumble, a few VIA cards had wavetable headers too.

Last edited by dan86 on 2019-11-15, 15:39. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 9, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Personally the only 2 non-X-Fi sound cards that Im interested in for win2k/XP, are the nvidia soundstorm audio built onto nforce2 chipset motherboards, since its the same as what the og xbox has, and the other being sound cards with the Crystal CS4630 chip like the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or Hercules GameTheater XP

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 6 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are several great m-audio cards for cp. I own this one for example and it is amazingly good.

M-Audio-Delta-Audiophile-2496.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 9, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote:

XP was the era when the sound card died, especially for gaming. Maybe audiophiles or home theater enthusiasts might look for something more, but who here really care about that?

lots of people.

Reply 9 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

There are several great m-audio cards for cp. I own this one for example and it is amazingly good.

So long as people understand, this card is not directly equivalent to a Creative card. The ICE chipset is designed around studio quality music recording and playback with minimal or no internal processing. They were best driven by low latency drivers that minimized jitter and other glitches that might degrade audio. Some cards had drivers that supported 3d positional audio (via Sensaura, I believe), but this was not their primary purpose nor the area where they were brilliant.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder