VOGONS

Reply 240 of 254, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some driver sets include dummy EAX and A3D DLLs to wrap their own compatibility layer, breaking the functionality of the native card. For example, installing Creative's drivers after Aureal will overwrite the A3D.DLL, which has to be backed up and restored.

Unlike later versions of Windows NT, installers on 9x will happily clobber each other's files. This is one example of DLL hell.

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2024-06-20, 05:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 241 of 254, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been happily using the Sound Blaster LIVE Audigy driver install guide on an Audigy 1 and never realized that there was an actual Audigy install guide. Next install I'll have to use this guide.

Does anyone know if you replace an Audigy 1 SB0090 in a working system with an Audigy 2 SB0240 will it work straight away or will I have to reinstall the drivers?

Reply 242 of 254, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice guide! Followed it to the letter and everything worked out just fine.
Only feedback - perhaps you could remind that in pure dos section that proper environment variables should be set. Everyone knows about BLASTER but in this case CTSYN is important as well.

Reply 243 of 254, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sry about double post, but my C:\WINDOWS\CTSYN.INI gets overwritten by windows each time I boot to dos via custom .pif file.
My workaround was to rename 8mb .ecw to default.ecw but maybe there is more elegant solution out there. Any hints?

Reply 244 of 254, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vutt wrote on 2024-06-30, 09:41:

Sry about double post, but my C:\WINDOWS\CTSYN.INI gets overwritten by windows each time I boot to dos via custom .pif file.
My workaround was to rename 8mb .ecw to default.ecw but maybe there is more elegant solution out there. Any hints?

I haven't encountered this issue myself, but there's no harm in overwriting DEFAULT.ECW with EAPCI8M.ECW.

You may have to do this by booting into "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only" since the file might be loaded by the drivers under normal circumstances, which will prevent it from being overwritten.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 245 of 254, by TgamesFR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi !
Thanks for this driver project it works great with my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS.

Althought i encounter one issue it overwrited my french language in the Volume control application as shown in theses screenshots in attachments.

It's a partial language replacement, so i guess it's linked a to DLL who has been rewriten ?
The exe itself of sndvol32.exe not seems to have changed.
I'm on Windows 98 Second Edition (French).

Would be great if you can help me restore my language.
Best Regards.

Reply 246 of 254, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TgamesFR wrote on 2024-07-07, 09:46:

Hi !
Thanks for this driver project it works great with my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS.

Althought i encounter one issue it overwrited my french language in the Volume control application as shown in theses screenshots in attachments.

Interesting. I'm guessing the original Audigy 2 ZS ISO image that I based my driver pack on was from the United States, which is why it defaults to English. I don't know what exactly the driver pack overwrote, so I can't offer any help there.

However, since you have an Audigy 2 ZS card, you might be able to download a French localized driver CD image and install that using the official method (WDM drivers first, then switch to VxD using Creative's Driver Utility). After that, try installing the DOS drivers from my custom image and see how that works out. If this still overwrites your volume controls, you'll have to search for a French localized image of the Audigy 1 driver CD and install the DOS component from there.

For what it's worth, I've added a warning to the original post that this guide and the driver pack that it uses are tailored to the US English versions of Win98SE or WinME.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 247 of 254, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vutt wrote on 2024-06-30, 09:41:

Does it still overwrite the file if you set it to read-only?

Reply 248 of 254, by TgamesFR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-07-07, 09:59:

Interesting. I'm guessing the original Audigy 2 ZS ISO image that I based my driver pack on was from the United States, which is why it defaults to English. I don't know what exactly the driver pack overwrote, so I can't offer any help there.

However, since you have an Audigy 2 ZS card, you might be able to download a French localized driver CD image and install that using the official method (WDM drivers first, then switch to VxD using Creative's Driver Utility). After that, try installing the DOS drivers from my custom image and see how that works out. If this still overwrites your volume controls, you'll have to search for a French localized image of the Audigy 1 driver CD and install the DOS component from there.

For what it's worth, I've added a warning to the original post that this guide and the driver pack that it uses are tailored to the US English versions of Win98SE or WinME.

After checking the problem is related to theses 3 files :

- CTDLANG.DAT
- CTDCRES.DLL
- INRES.DLL

They exist in multilangual in your OLD_VXD.CAB package in the folder "LANG".
Their names are :

- CTFRN.DAT
- CTDCRFRN.dll
- INRESFRN.dll

FRN = French, there is also German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Dutch... languages.

But strangely the installer always force the english version. Copying them over restore the language but it break something else cause i guess it also need set somewhere in registry.

Probably if you fix the ini file the setup will allow install in the good language because your drivers are multilangual in reality.

Reply 249 of 254, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TgamesFR wrote on 2024-07-07, 13:32:

Probably if you fix the ini file the setup will allow install in the good language because your drivers are multilangual in reality.

That might be a bit outside of my skill set, I'm not DanielK. 😁

But as noted before, if the problem is with the Windows drivers for the Audigy 2 ZS, you can install them normally from a localized driver CD, then swap over to VxD using the official method, and afterwards just proceed to the DOS portion of my guide from there.

Reply 250 of 254, by TgamesFR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-07-07, 13:43:
TgamesFR wrote on 2024-07-07, 13:32:

That might be a bit outside of my skill set, I'm not DanielK. 😁

But as noted before, if the problem is with the Windows drivers for the Audigy 2 ZS, you can install them normally from a localized driver CD, then swap over to VxD using the official method, and afterwards just proceed to the DOS portion of my guide from there.

I've managed to fix all languages issues and have no bugs so far (tested all since 3h).

Here the method :

1) Go to \AUDIO\DRIVERS\VXD\ in the CDrom
2) Extract OLD_VXD_CAB with 7zip (it should open it like a zip)
3) In the extracted folder go to LANG
4) Search CT*.DAT (replace * by your language code in 3 letters, exemple CTFRN.DAT for FRN = French).
5) Rename that file to CTDLANG.DAT
6) *IMPORTANT*: Backup your original \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CTDLANG.DAT from your WIndows 98 SE.
7) Replace it with this translated CTDLANG.DAT file in \WINDOWS\SYSTEM. It will ask to replace original one.
😎 Reboot

Now after reboot, the Windows SoundVolume program is back to your original language.

Reply 251 of 254, by TgamesFR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've noticed on some DOS game under Windows 98, i have perfectly fine the MIDI musics from the Audigy but i don't have sound effects.
Like Jungle Book or Asterix & Obelix.

In most DOS games i have both sounds effects and musics like Duke Nukem, Rayman, Tomb Raider.

The only other weird issue i've encountered is having no sounds during cutscenes of Rayman 1. The game itself have musics and sounds effects working during gameplay but when a cutscene start sound is cutted.

Reply 252 of 254, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Creative's SB16 emulation on Live and Audigy cards isn't perfect. There are bound to be issues with certain DOS games. And that goes for SB emulation on any other PCI sound card as well.

As for some older Win9x titles having problems, that's not surprising either. The Audigy 2 ZS shipped in late 2003. By that time, Creative was all about EAX and using it in the latest games that were coming out on WinXP. Their Win9x driver support is more of a courtesy to legacy systems. And while we retro enthusiasts appreciate the Audigy 2 ZS as the last generation of Creative's products that still works under Win9x, it's not always going to be smooth sailing.

Reply 253 of 254, by TgamesFR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-07-10, 18:48:

Creative's SB16 emulation on Live and Audigy cards isn't perfect. There are bound to be issues with certain DOS games. And that goes for SB emulation on any other PCI sound card as well.

As for some older Win9x titles having problems, that's not surprising either. The Audigy 2 ZS shipped in late 2003. By that time, Creative was all about EAX and using it in the latest games that were coming out on WinXP. Their Win9x driver support is more of a courtesy to legacy systems. And while we retro enthusiasts appreciate the Audigy 2 ZS as the last generation of Creative's products that still works under Win9x, it's not always going to be smooth sailing.

Ye it's true but i had a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 before i remember at least Jungle Book had SFX while musics were playing. So maybe it's just a driver issue for Audigy.
Or the game search for something it not find.

Reply 254 of 254, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TgamesFR wrote on 2024-07-10, 22:00:

Ye it's true but i had a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 before i remember at least Jungle Book had SFX while musics were playing. So maybe it's just a driver issue for Audigy.
Or the game search for something it not find.

There are small compatibility differences between various versions of Creative's drivers as well, even when using the exact same sound card. For example, the original SBLive CT4620 (from 1998) would behave a bit differently if one were to install Creative's LiveWare 3.0 driver update (released in 2000) compared to using its stock drivers from the installation CD that shipped with the card. Basically, the newer the driver, the bigger the chance that some old game might have problems with it. To their credit, Creative did fix a few bugs like the FM synth emulation slowdown with their latest DOS drivers, but they also introduced some new issues.

Additionally, Creative only supported DOS compatibility up to the Audigy 1. There are no official DOS drivers for Audigy 2 and ZS cards. In retro gaming circles, we can unofficially force those cards to use the Audigy 1 DOS driver pack, but that may not always work properly, as Creative never intended for the drivers to be used in that manner.