VOGONS

First post, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the idea for some time and only decided to do it now when I am locked at home.

I wanted to put my Gravis Ultrasound mini collection on display in my house. GUS cards could be a bit troublesome for retro use, but the red PCB make them visually attractive. They make a nice interior design feature in my opinion.

So I took a 20"x20" frame and glued them onto the frame (using a blue tack if I ever decide to use them again):

DSC_6047.jpeg
Filename
DSC_6047.jpeg
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
DSC_6051.jpeg
Filename
DSC_6051.jpeg
File size
1 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

As there is only limited surface area I was thinking about the layout.

Instead of late model MAX, shall I use the original full-length GUS MAX 1.8 instead (which I also have albeit in a bit dusty condition).
Should I make it more dense and reserve a space for GUS Extreme (if I ever come across one) to display a complete family?
Would you put some labels above cards?
Would you remove factory stickers or memory upgrades to give them cleaner look?

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 2 of 9, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

where is it on show ? public ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 4 of 9, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK. Cleaned the other card and swapped MAX 2.1 for MAX 1.8. Looks cooler with longer PCB and socketed chips. Will keep the MAX 2.1 for my retro PCs...

Ready to go above my working desk. Will still think about labels.

DSC_6055.jpeg
Filename
DSC_6055.jpeg
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 7 of 9, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Indeed. And then talking about removing the labels...thats a sacrilege. Think the meaning of the thread is to show us all the cards he own.
I think I have more than you and I will never remove the labels or put them on the wall to be bleached out by the sun...

Reply 8 of 9, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, thinking about removing factory stickers from those wasn’t a great idea. However, I often remove damaged, non-factory stickers, retailer/OEM bar codes, OEM warranty void labels, etc. On the other hand a handful of times I even restored damaged factory stickers (as it is not a good idea to keep EPROM chips without one).

However, what to do with retro gear once collected is a dilemma that every collector must solve I think. Keep them in a storage forever? Build a number of retro-PCs and keep using them? Start a museum?

I actually like the idea of putting interesting pieces on display in my house. Make a great conversation point and let me enjoy them more that if they were stored in my attic. There should be no sun damage as those frames are designed for paintings and have UV blocking glass.

Predator99 wrote on 2020-04-04, 07:14:

I think I have more than you

You ain't seen nothing yet 😀

Last edited by mpe on 2020-04-04, 09:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 9 of 9, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have a single one and I still appreciate it :p... I'd also say it's nicer to have them on display than stored away somewhere, and if you still have one to use even better 😀