VOGONS

First post, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

0.0 Disclaimer:

This guide is provided "as is" and free of charge. There is no warranty or support of any kind. By using this guide, you acknowledge and agree that you do so at your sole risk. The author is not liable for any damages and claims arising from the use of this guide.

0.1 Introduction:

This guide will help you install VxD drivers for Sound Blaster Live! cards under Windows 98SE or Windows ME, including proper support for DOS gaming. I have personally tested this method with a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 (model SB0100). Later on, other people have tested it with additional SBLive models as well, and all information about that has been summarized in this post. For reference, by using this guide, you get the following features from your SBLive card under Win9x:

• EAX 1 and 2 support for Win9x games
  • Sound Blaster 16 emulation for DOS games
  • FM Synthesis emulation for DOS games
  • General MIDI emulation for DOS games
  • Soundfont support for DOS games running under Windows 98SE

Note that soundfonts only work when DOS games are running from within Windows 98/ME. If you go to pure DOS (by choosing Start > Shutdown > Restart in MS-DOS mode) then the card will use the (worse sounding) ECW sets instead. To my knowledge, there is no way to use .SF2 based soundfonts in pure DOS with an SBLive card.

1.Hardware and software requirements:

Before proceeding to the next section of this guide, make sure that the following hardware and software requirements are met. If they are not, the driver installation may fail.

1.1 Certain chipsets have compatibility issues with VxD drivers and Creative's SB16 emulation. If you have a motherboard based on an Nvidia nForce chipset or an Intel ICH10+ chipset, then your system might not be compatible with this guide. Additionally, certain motherboards based on VIA chipsets may have compatibility issues with SBLive cards. For better stability on VIA systems, I recommend using an Audigy 2 or ZS card instead of a SBLive, and following this guide
1.2 Upon booting up your system, enter the BIOS and disable all COM and LPT ports in order to free up additional resources. If your motherboard has an integrated sound card, network card or any other integrated device that you are not using, disable it in the BIOS as well. Lastly, if you are not using USB, disable that too
1.3 During the driver installation process, the SBLive should be the only sound card in your system. Using a second sound card may cause the driver installation to fail
1.4 This guide has only been tested on Windows 98SE and Windows ME. A clean install of Windows must be performed before attempting the driver installation procedure. Do not use any "unofficial service packs". Only install the drivers for your motherboard and graphics card until you complete all the steps in this guide
1.5 A Sound Blaster Live! requires one free IRQ for the card itself. The value assigned to this IRQ varies from system to system, but it should not be the same as the IRQ assigned to the SB16 emulation device. Additionally, the SB16 emulation device requires three I/O ports, one IRQ and two DMA channels. The default values are: I/O ports 220, 330 and 388, IRQ 5, DMA 1 and DMA 5. If any of those resources are not free, the driver installation may fail. To determine if your system has enough free resources, under Windows 98SE click Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information > Hardware Resources and check the IRQ, DMA and I/O sections

2. Preparation:

2.1 Download the modified SBLive driver CD image, and burn it to a disc
2.2 Place the disc in the CD-ROM drive on your Win98SE/ME machine, and cancel the autorun installer in case it starts
2.3 This guide assumes that your CD-ROM drive resides at D: (default location). If it's using a different letter, simply substitute that letter each time you come across D: in this guide

3. Windows Driver Installation

3.1 Run D:\CTShared\LaunchApp\SysInfo\Setup.exe which will install the Creative System Information utility and update the InstallShield Engine (important later)
3.2 Run D:\DirectX\dxsetup.exe which will install DirectX 9.0a and restart your computer (if you already have a newer version installed, skip this step)
3.3 Run D:\Audio\Drivers\CTZAPXX.exe and select "Driver Installation" and "VXD Drivers" then click Ok
3.4 Driver installation will take several minutes, don't interrupt the process until you are prompted to Restart then click Ok
3.5 After the restart, wait until the installer finishes, then go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Multimedia > Audio > Playback > Advanced Properties > Performance > Sample Rate Conversion Quality > move the slider to "Best"
3.6 Start > Run > sndvol32.exe > Ok. Note that all the volume sliders are currently at 50% which is fairly quiet. You might want to move the sliders to a higher value and also mute any unused inputs

4. Installing Creative Utilities

4.1 Run D:\Audio\AudioHQ\Setup.exe and install Creative AudioHQ (if you get an InstallShield Engine error here, repeat step 3.1)
4.2 Run D:\Audio\Diagnose\Setup.exe and install Creative Diagnostics
4.3 Run D:\Audio\Restore\Setup.exe and install Creative Restore Defaults
4.4 Run D:\Audio\SurMix2\Setup.exe and install Creative Surround Mixer
4.5 Start > Programs > Creative > Creative AudioHQ > Speaker and select the speaker setup that you are using, then click "Test" (in the screenshot below I'm using 5.1 speakers)

Speakers.jpg
Filename
Speakers.jpg
File size
67.58 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

5. DOS Driver Installation

5.1 Run D:\DOSDRV\Setup.exe and restart when prompted
5.2 Wait until the Creative SB16 Emulation drivers are fully installed (this may take a few minutes)
5.3 During the boot process you might see a "Config file incomplete" error. Restart your computer one more time and it should disappear

If the installation was successful, you should now have the following under Device Manager:

002.png
Filename
002.png
File size
2.22 KiB
Views
File license

6. Using a higher quality soundfont

6.1 Go to the D:\DOSDRV\SF2 folder and copy all the .SF2 files from there to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
6.2 Go to the D:\DOSDRV\ECW folder and copy all the .ECW files from there to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
6.3 Start > Programs > Creative > Creative AudioHQ > SoundFont
6.4 Click on "Configure Bank" then click on the default soundfont (2GMGSMT Rev N++) to select it, then click Replace, select C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CT8MGM.SF2 wait a few seconds until it loads then click Ok > Close
6.5 Open C:\WINDOWS\CTSYN.INI in Notepad and change this line: Waveset=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\default.ecw to this: Waveset=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\EAPCI8M.ECW
6.6 Save the changes you just made to CTSYN.INI then restart your computer
6.7 Run your favorite DOS game and in setup choose General MIDI for music

AudioHQ_SoundFont.jpg
Filename
AudioHQ_SoundFont.jpg
File size
34.43 KiB
Views
File license

For reference, here's how your games will sound with Creative's CT8MGM soundfont. Essentially, with this step complete, you can now select any soundfont that you like for General MIDI playback in DOS games. For example, if you want to use a soundfont which more closely resembles a Roland Sound Canvas see this post. Alternatively, if you want to play games which use GS instruments, see this post.

7. Getting MT-32 compatibility in pure DOS (optional for Win98SE, not applicable for WinME)

7.1 Start > Shutdown > Restart in MS-DOS mode
7.2 C:\Progra~1\Creative\DOSDrv\sbemixer.exe
7.3 Make sure that the MT-32 option is checked, then click Save and press ESC to exit
7.4 Run your favorite DOS game that supports MT-32 (like Monkey Island for example)

Note that MT-32 emulation doesn't sound too great on this card, but I'm including it for completeness sake.

That said, these drivers also allow your SBLive to emulate FM Synthesis, should you want that. Of course, this sounds different from a genuine OPL3 chip, but it may still be somewhat usable, depending on the game that you're playing.

Last edited by Joseph_Joestar on 2024-03-07, 18:45. Edited 20 times in total.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 1 of 207, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for this post. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I am looking forward to doing so. This seems like a really nice solution for those wanting to get a SB32 or AWE32 just to load <28MB soundfonts. Pair a Live! with an OPL3 card and get the best of both worlds if the DOS game can be started from Windows.

Reply 2 of 207, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This post is reserved for listing the SBLive models that were confirmed to work with this approach:

• SB0060 - confirmed working by user r38007 link
  • SB0100 - confirmed working by me
  • SB0220 - confirmed working by me (Dell branded card)
  • CT4620 - confirmed working by user subnet_zero link
  • CT4670 - confirmed working by user jay_t_yo link
  • CT4760 - confirmed working by user r38007 link
  • CT4780 - confirmed working by user unixispower link
  • CT4830 - confirmed working by user boxpressed link
  • CT4870 - confirmed working by user Martli link
Last edited by Joseph_Joestar on 2023-09-13, 09:37. Edited 10 times in total.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 3 of 207, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I tried using two sound cards with this setup and it worked fine. If you go to Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers > Creative SB16 Emulation > Properties > Resources then untick "Use automatic settings" and select "Basic Configuration 4" it will allow you to manually configure all the resources and disable port 388 (FM Synthesis) which you can then assign to your second card.

In addition, you want to disable MPU401 on your second card so that SBLive can use port 330 for General MIDI + soundfonts. Either that, or simply configure your second card to use a different port for MPU401 like 300 and you're all set. Lastly, connect the Line Out from your SBLive to the Line In of your second card and you're good to go. This way you can get genuine OPL3 and better SBPro compatibility from your second card, while retaining the SB16 compatibility and General MIDI + soundfonts from the SBLive.

Reply 4 of 207, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-06-06, 06:52:

So I tried using two sound cards with this setup and it worked fine. If you go to Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers > Creative SB16 Emulation > Properties > Resources then untick "Use automatic settings" and select "Basic Configuration 4" it will allow you to manually configure all the resources and disable port 388 (FM Synthesis) which you can then assign to your second card.

In addition, you want to disable MPU401 on your second card so that SBLive can use port 330 for General MIDI + soundfonts. Either that, or simply configure your second card to use a different port for MPU401 like 300 and you're all set. Lastly, connect the Line Out from your SBLive to the Line In of your second card and you're good to go. This way you can get genuine OPL3 and better SBPro compatibility from your second card, while retaining the SB16 compatibility and General MIDI + soundfonts from the SBLive.

I finally got around to testing this method with a CT4830 card that I couldn't get working with ANY Live! installation CD, and ...

IT WORKS PERFECTLY!

Honestly, I don't know why I'm the only other one posting in this thread. This is such a significant development, especially for people running 98SE on motherboards without an ISA slot. And it's such a great solution for people who want high-quality wavetable sound in later DOS games for the low cost of a Live! card.

It would be hard to beat a Live! + non-PNP OPL3 combo. We're talking the best of both worlds for about $30.

Thanks again for such a great guide. It was well-written and easy to follow. My Device Manager looked a little different with the CT4830, but everything works as it should.

Is it OK to delete C:\AU1 now?

IMG_9849.jpg
Filename
IMG_9849.jpg
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 5 of 207, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote on 2020-06-07, 17:50:

finally got around to testing this method with a CT4830 card that I couldn't get working with ANY Live! installation CD, and ...

IT WORKS PERFECTLY!

Awesome, then we can add CT4830 to the confirmed working list! At this point I'm hopeful that this method will work with any SBLive card, but it would still be great if more people with different models (like that Dell SB0220) could test it and confirm.

This is such a significant development, especially for people running 98SE on motherboards without an ISA slot. And it's such a great solution for people who want high-quality wavetable sound in later DOS games for the low cost of a Live! card.

Yeah, the soundfont stuff is pretty amazing. I think the SoundFont Bank Manager that we install from the Audigy2 ZS ISO is only limited by your total RAM. I have 512 MB and it offers to load soundfonts up to 400 MB! I haven't tried that though, as I'm very happy with Patch93's excellent, yet reasonably sized SC-55 soundfont.

Is it OK to delete C:\AU1 now?

Yeah, it was just needed during the installation. Once everything is set up, you can also get rid of AU2 and AU3, in case you want to move SC-55.sf2 to a more convenient location. As long as the SoundFont Bank Manager is pointed in the right direction, any folder should work fine.

Reply 6 of 207, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just created a 260MB soundfont cache to load a ~250MB soundfont, and it worked! I still like Patch93's soundfont better, though.

I've wanted to experiment with large soundfonts on a retro system with good DOS support, and this method allows me to do that.

Reply 7 of 207, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote on 2020-06-07, 20:31:

I just created a 260MB soundfont cache to load a ~250MB soundfont, and it worked! I still like Patch93's soundfont better, though.

It's amazing what Patch93 accomplished with such a small file size.

Back when I first got into soundfonts, I downloaded several of them which were based on the SC-55, and they were mostly around 75 MB or larger. Despite that, not a single one of those sounded as close to the real thing as Patch93's version.

Reply 8 of 207, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-06-07, 22:42:

It's amazing what Patch93 accomplished with such a small file size.

Back when I first got into soundfonts, I downloaded several of them which were based on the SC-55, and they were mostly around 75 MB or larger. Despite that, not a single one of those sounded as close to the real thing as Patch93's version.

Yes, it's fantastic. I have a 25MB SC-55 soundfont that is pretty good and works well with an SB32 or AWE32 with 28MB of onboard RAM. But Patch93's is better.

I added a new entry to my wavetable sample thread with your setup so that others can hear how good it sounds.

Reply 9 of 207, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote on 2020-06-07, 22:49:

I added a new entry to my wavetable sample thread with your setup so that others can hear how good it sounds.

Cheers! Patch93's soundfont definitively deserves more exposure, and hopefully, it will also interest people to test this approach on other SBLive models.

On an unrelated note, I think that the Audigy DOS driver is slightly more compatible with older DOS games than the one which ships with certain SBLive cards. In particular, I found the DOS drivers on the SB0100 installation CD to be very unreliable. The Audigy driver, on the other hand, is quite stable and it seems to even do proper SBPro stereo, which surprised me quite a bit.

Reply 10 of 207, by Desomondo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I did this for my Live Value some time ago following a different thread that described a similar process. It worked great and the Audigy driver was indeed a little bit better from what I experienced. Duke3D suffered from the "echo crash" for example when run under Win98 with the Live driver (but not in DOS strangely), but ran perfectly fine with the Audigy driver.

Win98: PII 400 | 440BX | Voodoo3 | Live + SB16
WinME: P4 HT 641 | 865G | Geforce4 Ti4400 | Audigy2ZS
WinXP: C2 Q9400 | G41 | Geforce GTX 280 | X-Fi
Win7: i7 2600K | P67 | Geforce GTX 980ti | X-Fi
Win10: R7 5800X | X570 | Radeon RX 6800 | X-Fi Titanium

Reply 11 of 207, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

🤣 i've done the opposite. I have an audigy platinum eX that simply won't work with any driver from any audigy cd i have found. it might be some oem dell/hp variant. The error I get is the "could not detect an audigy card in this system, setup will close" or something like that. Forcing the drivers didn't work. I think the card has 2 chips or needs to initialise before driver gets installed? nfi. Big hassle working it out.

So I used the WDM sb live drivers. forced it in, works a treat. EAX 2.0, full audio mixer. Haven't tried in DOS, as the mobo (nforce2) can't support the non maskable interrupts (whatever that means) and bluescreens in windows when installing the SB16 compatibility drivers.

That being said, this is a great guide. I'll have to keep this in mind for the next time i'm tooling around with that Audigy to see if i can get it working with actual Audigy drivers. I've also got some CT4760s and CT4870s to try this with too. Cheers 😀

Reply 12 of 207, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
foil_fresh wrote on 2020-06-12, 07:34:

🤣 i've done the opposite. I have an audigy platinum eX that simply won't work with any driver from any audigy cd i have found. it might be some oem dell/hp variant. The error I get is the "could not detect an audigy card in this system, setup will close" or something like that. Forcing the drivers didn't work. I think the card has 2 chips or needs to initialise before driver gets installed? nfi. Big hassle working it out.

Yeah, Dell branded cards can be odd. They typically need their own custom drivers to function properly.

That being said, this is a great guide. I'll have to keep this in mind for the next time i'm tooling around with that Audigy to see if i can get it working with actual Audigy drivers. I've also got some CT4760s and CT4870s to try this with too. Cheers 😀

Thanks! BTW, I think it might technically be possible to use this method for installing the ZS drivers on an Audigy1 or an Audugy 2 (non-ZS), but I don't have any of those cards to test it. Not sure about the various SE/LS/OEM versions though.

Reply 13 of 207, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have recorded some additional game music samples using this setup for General MIDI and uploaded them to SoundCloud:

SBLive General MIDI

Also, here are the same music sample played using the Live's FM synth emulation:

SBLive FM synth

Reply 14 of 207, by r38007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Add another to the supported list, CT4760 Tested it with Duke3d and Doom (E1M1) with the SC-55 sound fonts and it sounds great! I had to up some of the volume in the SBEMIXER program,but other than that, working good.
I also have a few other SBLive cards, SB0060 and then a Dell OEM SB0200.

SB0060 may work as I think its pretty close to the same card as the CT4760.

I'll try to get some time to test the other cards later. Been messing with a 486Dx2 machine I just picked up,but waiting on some parts.

Win98se: P!!! Coppermine @ 1.0Ghz | Intel D815EEA | PC133 384MB | PNY Geforce 4TI 4200 64MB AGP | SBLive CT4670
DOS/Win3.11: 486DX2 @ 66Mhz | PC Chips M919 V3.4 | 16MB | Cirrus logic cl-542x | ESS Audiodrive 1868

Reply 15 of 207, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
r38007 wrote on 2020-07-24, 17:03:

Add another to the supported list, CT4760 Tested it with Duke3d and Doom (E1M1) with the SC-55 sound fonts and it sounds great!

Awesome! Thanks for the confirmation, glad it worked for you as well.

I also have a few other SBLive cards, SB0060 and then a Dell OEM SB0200.

There shouldn't be any problems with the SB0060 but I don't think that Dell SB0200 will work. From what I've read, it's not a true SBLive card.

Reply 16 of 207, by r38007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-07-24, 17:48:

There shouldn't be any problems with the SB0060 but I don't think that Dell SB0200 will work. From what I've read, it's not a true SBLive card.

Yeah, that's right I forgot that card is not really a SBlive and uses an EMU10K1X.
I'll need to triple check that its not a SB0220 I have, as that has the EMU10K1 restored which may work ok.

I'll try getting to the SB0060 this weekend and test it out to confirm. I am sure it will work but nice to confirm it 😀

Win98se: P!!! Coppermine @ 1.0Ghz | Intel D815EEA | PC133 384MB | PNY Geforce 4TI 4200 64MB AGP | SBLive CT4670
DOS/Win3.11: 486DX2 @ 66Mhz | PC Chips M919 V3.4 | 16MB | Cirrus logic cl-542x | ESS Audiodrive 1868

Reply 17 of 207, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
r38007 wrote on 2020-07-24, 23:06:

I'll try getting to the SB0060 this weekend and test it out to confirm. I am sure it will work but nice to confirm it 😀

Cheers!

I have reserved this post for listing known working cards and will be updating it whenever new information becomes available.

Reply 18 of 207, by r38007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Confirming that the SB0060 works just as expected!

I decided not to even waste my time with the SB0200 as I am sure that will not play nice.

Reply 19 of 207, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
r38007 wrote on 2020-07-25, 17:54:

Confirming that the SB0060 works just as expected!

Very nice, added to the list. Thanks again!