VOGONS

First post, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay.

FCC ID is IXW-PAS, this is how I found I'm dealing with Pro Audio Spectrum...Studio thing.

I've installed the drivers (pastudio), it changed my autoexec.bat and config.sys...but when I load DOS, it says "packed file is corrupt"

I think it's going to be easier for you guys to well, help me, if I just uploaded some vital photos, like autoexec.bat and config.sys.

SN3na24.jpg
iBJCWRS.jpg
Gdnlk2w.jpg
I1pkBYx.jpg
40FbnRS.jpg
f3QwVpK.jpg

Last edited by kitten.may.cry on 2020-06-12, 18:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 38, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What are the specs of the rest of your system? I have one of these cards but won't be able to do any testing for at least a few days.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 38, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-09, 05:53:

What are the specs of the rest of your system? I have one of these cards but won't be able to do any testing for at least a few days.

Oh really? Cool!

My specs? Do they matter?

Besides, I didn't finalize my retro build yet...

P2 233 + QDI Legend motherboard + FreeDOS, and lots...lots of midi files!

Reply 5 of 38, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The PAS16 is speed sensitive in my experience, and also needs a -5volt rail on your PSU. Do you have a slower machine to test it with to confirm that it works and have the right drivers? For the Studio version, and my Spectrum version for that matter, I've had the most success with these drivers:

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=506&menustate=0

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 38, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2020-06-09, 21:21:

The PAS16 is speed sensitive in my experience, and also needs a -5volt rail on your PSU. Do you have a slower machine to test it with to confirm that it works and have the right drivers? For the Studio version, and my Spectrum version for that matter, I've had the most success with these drivers:

I have this exact same card and believe it or not, I was actually testing it out over the weekend. I had to fiddle a bit with IRQ's etc and eventually settled on this:

DEVICE=C:\PAS16\MVSOUND.SYS B:388 D:5 Q:11 S1,220,1,5 M:0 J:0

You don't have to load the

tslcdr.sys

if you're not planning on using the SCSI interface.

But, like badmojo states, this card is speed sensitive and your P233 is probably to fast AND you need the -5v. I had my card in a 386SX20, for which I think it is a perfect combo.

Reply 7 of 38, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's the one I used. Had to do plenty of floppy swapping, cuz I only got one of them alive.

pan069 wrote on 2020-06-09, 22:49:
I have this exact same card and believe it or not, I was actually testing it out over the weekend. I had to fiddle a bit with IR […]
Show full quote

I have this exact same card and believe it or not, I was actually testing it out over the weekend. I had to fiddle a bit with IRQ's etc and eventually settled on this:

You don't have to load the

tslcdr.sys

if you're not planning on using the SCSI interface.

But, like badmojo states, this card is speed sensitive and your P233 is probably to fast AND you need the -5v. I had my card in a 386SX20, for which I think it is a perfect combo.

Okay, hold the teets.

Can you DM me with a more, uh thorough guide?

Reply 9 of 38, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kitten.may.cry wrote on 2020-06-11, 17:16:

Is there a big difference between Pro Audio Spectrum 16 and Pro Audio Studio?

I don't believe there is. The "Studio" moniker was just a marketing thing, they bundled some crappy software with the card and gave it a snazzy name (like Pro Audio). The Pro Audio Spectrum Studio IS a Pro Audio Spectrum 16.

Media Vision - Pro AudioSpectrum STUDIO, a question about its enhancement.

There is ins't anything special that goes into either the config.sys or autoexec.bat other then loading the MVSOUND.SYS driver in the config.sys and setting the BLASTER environment variable in autoexec.bat.

You DM'ed me saying that you confirmed you have -5v and down clocked your CPU to 200Mhz. This might still be to fast for this card. Remember that the Pro Audio Spectrum line of cards had it's heyday in the early nineties. Personally I would't use a PAS in anything beyond a 386, maybe an early 486.

So, the reason this card isn't working for you might be one of the following options:

1) System speed issues.
2) IRQ conflicts.
3) Wrong driver version.
4) The card is faulty.

These are the drivers that I'm using: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1 … menustate=49,36

There are also a bunch of other great threads here on Vogons from which I got valuable info re. the PAS16:

Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum and Pro Audio Spectrum 16?
Media vision Pro audio spectrum 16 compatibility List

kitten.may.cry wrote on 2020-06-11, 17:16:

*bout to pick up REAL PAS16 soon*

Rather than getting another PAS, why don't just just get a Sound Blaster instead? I suspect you're going to have the exact same problem with another PAS16. Why don't you go for a Sound Blaster 16 or 32? This seems to be a much better match for your Pentium based machine. There isn't really anything special about a PAS16. There is hardly any software that supports it and audio quality isn't any better than a Sound Blaster 16.

Reply 12 of 38, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, same as always...

What could I be doing wrong?

You can actually see it in my first picture...SBC DMA, all that...zeroes.

INSTALL.exe doesn't seem to do anything.

Reply 13 of 38, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kitten.may.cry wrote on 2020-06-12, 02:17:

Yeah, same as always...

What could I be doing wrong?

You can actually see it in my first picture...SBC DMA, all that...zeroes.

Try using different DMA and IRQ settings for your card. I had to fiddle with the settings before it worked. The FM/OPL music test in the CUSDIAG program plays rubbish, ignore it. Use a game or something to test the FM music.

Can you systematically trouble shoot? First see if you can get Sound Blaster to work. First try SB with IRQ 7:

DEVICE=C:\PAS16\MVSOUND.SYS B:388 D:5 Q:11 S1,220,1,7 M:0 J:0

If that doesn't work, use IRQ 5:

If that doesn't work use IRQ 3:

DEVICE=C:\PAS16\MVSOUND.SYS B:388 D:5 Q:11 S1,220,1,3 M:0 J:0

Once you have Sound Blaster compatibility working, focus on the PAS settings. Apparently DMA:5 and IRQ:7 doesn't work for you (according to the photos you posted). Try using IRQ 11:

DEVICE=C:\PAS16\MVSOUND.SYS B:388 D:5 Q:11 S1,220,1,7 M:0 J:0

Also, you can use a program like syschk [1] so see which IRQ's in your system are in use by other devices. E.g. IRQ 7 can be in use by your parallel port. If you want to use IRQ 7 for your sound card then you can disable the parallel port to free up the IRQ.

[1] http://www.syschk.com/

PS: Please keep discussion in the forum.

Reply 14 of 38, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, since I can't even init MVSOUND.sys, we need to start from there.

Trying INSTALL.exe again.

Also, our device strings look different...seriously, though.

Probably because this is IXW-PAR, and not IXW-PAS16, my guess.

BUT EVEN THEN, it wouldn't init MVSOUND.sys, nor create a valid string.

This card is stupid. I said it.

Reply 15 of 38, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wanna point it out. It's not about what I need (SB compatibility) or anything, CUSDIAG literally shows zeroes = whatever setup s/w I'm using...is questionable.

Same s/w you linked to, and THE s/w for Pro Audio Studio before that.

Same result, zeroes, garbled music in the setup util, MVSOUND.sys not initializing.

I could make a full pic of my card, if necessary.

Is there any info on jumpers?

[Packed file is corrupt] on top of that.

Reply 17 of 38, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pan069 wrote on 2020-06-12, 03:12:

This is my card so you can match jumpers:

pic

Thank you. They seem to match, luckily.

Can you explain the zeroes in CUSDIAG, after I ran the INSTALL.exe, which supposedly modifies my autoexec & config.sys, and our device strings are different?

Reply 18 of 38, by pii_legacy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It may be scary to try with the PC running, but if you're capable, i would suggest checking out the voltages input and output of each of those regulators, since that is a LOT of different regulators for one little (very cramped) card.

Reply 19 of 38, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kitten.may.cry wrote on 2020-06-12, 03:13:

Can you explain the zeroes in CUSDIAG ..

No I can not other than that the driver isn't able to allocated to resources asked for. Use different settings.

kitten.may.cry wrote on 2020-06-12, 03:13:

... our device strings are different?

I'm not sure what that means. Yes, my drivers might be in a different path, which you obviously need to match to the location where your drivers are installed. Just use EDIT (or what ever comes with FreeDOS) to edit the config.sys and/or autoexec.bat. After making a change, save and reboot. Then run the CUSDIAG program.

You can also use the "X" parameter at the end of of the MVSOUND.SYS for it to output some details when the driver loads. E.g:

DEVICE=C:\PAS16\MVSOUND.SYS B:388 D:5 Q:11 S1,220,1,7 M:0 J:0 X

You just have to systematically go through each of the settings. That's what I did.