VOGONS

First post, by NickJ80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was digging through my old parts bin and got pretty excited to realize that I had an early Ensoniq SoundScape that I had completely forgotten about. My excitement was quickly dashed when I placed it into one of my retro systems and tried the MIDI playback.
https://youtu.be/3zYyx587qok

The digital audio playback sounds fine. But the MIDI playback almost sounds like the sample ROM is corrupt, but I find the likelihood very low that a mask ROM would go bad out of the blue. Has anyone heard anything quite like this? Any ideas how I might fix it? Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What are the specs of the system you put it in?

Have you installed the DOS drivers / config utility?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 8, by NickJ80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried this in two different systems. The first was a Pentium 200 with 64MR RAM running Windows 95. The second is a Pentium II 450 with 512MB RAM running Windows 98. The results were the same in both systems.

Reply 3 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aren't those cards notorious for having extremely bad and leaky capacitors and soldering issues ?

See Trying to repair a Ensoniq Soundscape S 2000 and Ensoniq Soundscape leaking capacitors

Reply 6 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am unsure of how the different modes are set on those Ensoniq cards as I have never done any testing.. as in, I don't know if the modes are persistent between reboots.

It could be that it is stuck in Mt-32 mode which would definitely screw up how it sounds.

The manual does mention that it is best to run the configuration batch file for the mode you want before running a game.

Try putting it back in the Pentium 200 system and slowing the CPU speed down to 133Mhz or below. I don't think those are speed sensitive but I could be wrong.

Caps could definitely be an issue but I haven't noticed that on the S-2000 cards I have.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NickJ80 wrote on 2020-11-03, 16:37:

I was digging through my old parts bin and got pretty excited to realize that I had an early Ensoniq SoundScape that I had completely forgotten about. My excitement was quickly dashed when I placed it into one of my retro systems and tried the MIDI playback.
https://youtu.be/3zYyx587qok

The digital audio playback sounds fine. But the MIDI playback almost sounds like the sample ROM is corrupt, but I find the likelihood very low that a mask ROM would go bad out of the blue. Has anyone heard anything quite like this? Any ideas how I might fix it? Thanks in advance!

The actual samples are in the ROM on the card. The mapping from MIDI programs to sample addresses are in the firmware that gets uploaded by SSINIT. If you managed to mix up the SNDSCODE.COx files (which are for different card models with different ROMs) or the file is damaged, you may get problems like you describe even with perfectly working hardware. If you didn't already try so, re-install the drivers from a known-good copy.