VOGONS

Reply 40 of 47, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arvid wrote on 2021-02-12, 07:16:

It did not hang this time but it seems it was not completely successfull either. I´m attaching the output.txt for you to look at 😀

Again, that's an interesting result. Was the test version the first thing you ran after a cold boot (meaning you hadn't previously run CWDINIT or UNISOUND)? Peculiar that it seemed to have the control port set to FF0H, presumably by the PnP BIOS. If you wouldn't mind, can you try the same "ORPHINIT /vd > OUTPUT.TXT" routine with the attached (slightly revised) version?

As an additional test, can you then try running it twice more (without first re-booting), using an INI file that actually specifies FF0H for CtrlBase (as in "ORPHINIT /vd /f:ff0test.ini")?

Attachments

• Filename
    ORPHINIT.EXE
    File size
    62.56 KiB
    Downloads
    7 downloads
    File comment
    ORPHINIT v0.53ß, debugging pre-release (forced initial resource assignment)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 41 of 47, by Arvid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, the first thing I ran was Orphinit after boot and Unisound and other similar software had not been run at that time.

I have now run the test with new version using "ORPHINIT /vd > OUTPUT.TXT" again. I have attached the output.txt for you to look at. With this new version the card was successfully initialized and I started Doom and got sound like normal 😀
There is an error message in the output.txt file but it seems this is not a critical error at least.

For the second test I did like you instructed and created an INI with CTRLBASE=FF0H in it and ran it like this "ORPHINIT /vd /f:ff0test.ini" after first running the normal init with the new version. I have attahced outputff.txt with the output for this test. It seems to fail the same way as before with "unidentified chip found, quitting" error message.

Attachments

• Filename
    outputff.txt
    File size
    806 Bytes
    Downloads
    7 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    output.txt
    File size
    1.64 KiB
    Downloads
    8 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 42 of 47, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an Olivetti M4 464S system, 486/66 with VLB, UMC chipset and that "winbios" from AMI.

Indeed with Orphinit 0.52b I get a freeze and 120 cards detected on some weird port:

YPzYobD.jpg

but 0.53b posted above worked fine for me and I get fm/pcm with xatax/keen4/dynablaster (yeah weird choice of games had to transfer with floppies 🤣)

QF0oaLN.jpg

u7ql1WV.jpg

640k!enough if you need more logs or something just tell me but for this system 0.53b works fine

🎵 PCMIDI mpu site buy+info
🎧 WIP Orpheus soundcard site
💻 WTB Amstrad PC7486SLC-33 system

Reply 43 of 47, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The whole 120 cards business was due to a bug, and it was my fault, rather than the fault of some strange BIOS design or flaw. As the expression goes, "garbage in, garbage out". On machines with a PnP BIOS, it only ever worked when the memory layout happened to match. So, for anyone who had problems with ORPHINIT previously, the pre-release copy above may fix it. If it doesn't, a bug report would be appreciated.

keropi wrote on 2021-02-18, 11:27:

640k!enough if you need more logs or something just tell me but for this system 0.53b works fine

If you happen to have time, can you try the same test as above, with CtrlBase=ff0 and post the output? Also, does software that actually uses the WSS port work?

I'll try to add a few more minor improvements and post a new release before the end of the week, but I can't promise anything.

Reply 44 of 47, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will do those tests tomorrow when I get back to the office where the Olivetti system is 😀

Reply 45 of 47, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can confirm that 0.53b works with WSS software , tested with Turrican2 and it's fine

using FF0 I get this:

Ui708Pm.jpg

does this help at all?

Reply 46 of 47, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2021-02-19, 10:21:

using FF0 I get this:

does this help at all?

Yes and no. For one thing, it tells me not to trust the PnP BIOS resource assignments to get the first phase of initialisation started. So, the trial method that I added in 0.53ß will become permanent, and I will add another option to ignore the PnP BIOS entirely, though that sometimes has risks, as was the case with previous versions of UNISOUND. It won't be the default, but sometimes it's a useful option to have. However, due to other things that are on my to-do list, this won't be ready today.

At the same time, it isn't useful because we don't know what is happening with these Olivetti machines. I would be willing to bet that it isn't a software problem, but that doesn't tell us what is causing the FF0H problem, nor how to fix it (if it can be fixed). I will have to do some more testing, and add some additional sanity checks, but the same FF0H configuration seems to work perfectly on my test machine. Just to be sure, can you post the FF0.INI that you used?

Reply 47 of 47, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
640K!enough wrote on 2021-02-19, 15:17:

[...] Just to be sure, can you post the FF0.INI that you used?

I have downloaded Orphinit from the Orpheus website and edited ORPHEUS.INI , the only change in the ORPHEUS.INI is from "CtrlBase=538" to "CtrlBase=FF0" , nothing else...