VOGONS

First post, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

M8I3cYUl.jpg

Hi all. I'm trying to get the above pair of cards (Awe64G and a Nova 16 Extra II-3D, I38-MMSN846)to work and I'm about to throw myself off a bridge as I can't get them to work nicely together!

They both work great on their own, but when the two are together the Gold is not happy. I set the Aztech up on the following resources, 220, 3, 7, 330 and the Gold is on 240 5,1,5 300.

The Aztech seems to work fine with the GOLD present at those resources. The tests work fine and it sounds great. The Gold will load its resources, but when doing a DIAGNOSE to test the resources it will set the Base address and MPU fine and the RAM is detected but it complains that no free resources are available for DMA and IRQ, I can't set anything.

Has anyone got any pointers? I've tried setting the Aztech to both eprom and software mode with the jumper, (what does this actually do?) but it doesn't make any difference.

The Aztech is initialised first in Autoexec followed by the Gold.

System is a Athlon 1200, Gigabyte 7IXE4

I'd really like to get these two working alongside each other as I feel they are a great pair and both sound really clean.

Reply 1 of 6, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having the same exact issue! Same cards, with the exception that my awe64 is a value.
Unisound and Windows can configure the awe64 without conflicts, but the damn thing refuses to pass any DOS diagnostics, or play any digital sounds, for the same reason you stated.
So, you're not alone here, but I haven't found any solution yet.

I have noticed, in some games that let you configure manually (eg. Descent, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo), and then let you test the settings, it will play part of a sample briefly before cutting off. This may be a clue.

Reply 2 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try to disable all COM and LPT (parallel) ports in the BIOS (unless you need one).
You need to free up as much resources as possible.

The Aztech card is part of the 3rd generation models, which means it is not a Plug 'n Play card.
If your BIOS supports it, manually assign the Aztech card's resources (sometimes referred to as Legacy) so that your Plug 'n Play configuration manager "knows" those resources are already assigned.

If you run under DOS 6.x, also try running CTCU to assign your AWE card's resources.

Reply 3 of 6, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, but already done all that, that's why this is a mystery, by all account the resources should be free for the AWE.

For detail anyway:
The Aztech is fully working, and has it's resources reserved in BIOS.
No other resources are reserved in BIOS, so PnP cards should have access to them.
All Serial & Parallel ports are disabled in BIOS.
Just like OP, I am setting the cards to use different resources.
I managed to add the AWE in Windows, without conflicts, but the digital sound behaves the same way when trying games in a dos box. (Music works fine, as in DOS)
UNISOUND can configure the card in DOS, without any apparent error, but digital sound doesn't work.
I even tried CTCU in DOS, and just like OP, no matter what IRQ or DMA you select, they fail when you use Test.

My cards are configured as:-
Aztech 220,7,1,300 (388 FM, WSS disabled)
AWE64 240,5,0,5,330 (398 FM with Unisound, Gamepad disabled)

The only potential conflict I can see, is FM Synth on port 388, as in Windows and CTCU, there is no option to change it, only UNISOUND appears to offer a means to change or disable it, but I don't think this is the issue, because the music part of the AWE works fine, and the Aztech has zero issues.

Like OP said, it's maddening, because it should work.

Also, a little more clarification on the 'partial sample playback' I mentioned in my original reply, in the Descent diigtal sound test, it is supposed to say 'Seven' three times, center, left, then right. When trying to use the AWE is manages 'Sev' once, then stops until you quit the test. SSF2T or Future Shock (any game using that same sound driver actually) is supposed to say something like 'HMI module approaching space station Mercury' (or something like that), but the AWE only manages 'HMI', before stopping. Duke 3D straight up won't play anything and throws an error saying there may be an IRQ conflict.
I if use Media Player in Windows to play back a 3 second WAV, I hear the beginning, and the end, but the middle part cuts out.

Last edited by RockstarRunner on 2021-07-20, 09:29. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 5 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RockstarRunner wrote on 2021-07-20, 05:13:
Thanks, but already done all that, that's why this is a mystery, by all account the resources should be free for the AWE. […]
Show full quote

Thanks, but already done all that, that's why this is a mystery, by all account the resources should be free for the AWE.

For detail anyway:
The Aztech is fully working, and has it's resources reserved in BIOS.
No other resources are reserved in BIOS, so PnP cards should have access to them.
All Serial & Parallel ports are disabled in BIOS.
Just like OP, I am setting the cards to use different resources.
I managed to add the AWE in Windows, without conflicts, but the digital sound behaves the same way when trying games in a dos box. (Music works fine, as in DOS)
UNISOUND can configure the card in DOS, without any apparent error, but digital sound doesn't work.
I even tried CTCU in DOS, and just like OP, no matter what IRQ or DMA you select, they fail when you use Test.

My cards are configured as:-
Aztech 220,7,1,300 (388 FM, WSS disabled)
AWE64 240,5,0,5,330 (398 FM with Unisound, Gamepad disabled)

The only potential conflict I can see, is FM Synth on port 388, as in Windows and CTCU, there is no option to change it, only UNISOUND appears to offer a means to change or disable it, but I don't think this is the issue, because the music part of the AWE works fine, and the Aztech has zero issues.

Like OP said, it's maddening, because it should work.

Also, a little more clarification on the 'partial sample playback' I mentioned in my original reply, in the Descent diigtal sound test, it is supposed to say 'Seven' three times, center, left, then right. When trying to use the AWE is manages 'Sev' once, then stops until you quit the test. SSF2T or Future Shock (any game using that same sound driver actually) is supposed to say something like 'HMI module approaching space station Mercury' (or something like that), but the AWE only manages 'HMI', before stopping. Duke 3D straight up won't play anything and throws an error saying there may be an IRQ conflict.
I if use Media Player in Windows to play back a 3 second WAV, I hear the beginning, and the end, but the middle part cuts out.

Perhaps try disabling the high DMA channel on the SB AWE card (i.e., use the same one as the low DMA channell) and see what happens.

PS: What is the main use of each card in your system?

Reply 6 of 6, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the tip, good suggestion, and I had already tried that too. There's something going on between these two cards, and I can't figure it out.
I've taken the nuclear option, and switched out the Aztech for the Orpheus, and that works perfectly with the AWE. The Aztech has now gone to another PC.

The point of adding the AWE was to add bug free SB16 support... and also because I love experimenting with sound cards.