VOGONS

First post, by mistermister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am aware that SoftMPU and also HardMPU have specific support fur using the Roland RA50 as a MIDI module for games using the /RA50 command line switch. Would the RA50 work well with a PCMIDI (or Orpheus) card ? I have been searching but have not located this information. I have recently acquired an RA50 and have been using it with SoftMPU quite well but would like to pursue a hardware solution for one of my PCs. My preferred option is to purchase an Orpheus card with the inbuilt PCMIDI. I know the experts are here, thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Reply 1 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do not remember exactly what the RA50 needs, some SysEx before playback? if so you can just send it before usage and things will work fine
I do remember though there is a simple hardware mod to turn the RA50 into mt-32 compliant with no extra steps needed on the software side: Re: Roland RA-50, RA-90 and RA-95 doubts about purchase or not

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 7, by mistermister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for responding keropi. I have read the thread that you referenced, it seems the issue with RA50 is "Real MT-32 but you have to use SoftMPU with them because they don't support the All Notes Off command". I was wondering if there is similar functionality which might work with PCMIDI since it seems more readily available and is a good value especially bundled with the Orpheus. With SoftMPU and /RA50 setting, it just works like an MT-32. The other thread gets into making hardware mods to the RA50, I am not really interested in that at this time.

Regards,

Reply 3 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, there is nothing like that in the pcmidi firmware or planned to be included - a sysex or hardware mod are your only options with pcmidi

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 7, by mistermister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will be trying Softmpu together with PCMIDI, just when using the RA-50. Do you think that will work? You might ask, why even have the PCMIDI in that case? It is still useful as is with my miniPC with MUNT, and it will be the only MIDI interface connected from that PC. I use a MIDI signal combiner/splitter box where I have up to 5 PC's and 3 MIDI devices connected, currently using the RA50, miniPC and a Roland GM/GS device. This is used with a switch and mixer so I can choose which devices to listed to and adjust their volume. I am getting the Orpheus card and wanted to have the fully configured version, and use the PCMIDI for maximum compatibility/options. SoftMPU lists the MusicQuest card as supported, PCMIDI is not specifically listed but I was of the impression that it is similar to the MQ.

Reply 5 of 7, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, that will work. The PCMIDI is essentially a clone of the MusicQuest card, so it will work just fine. The PCMIDI will operate in UART mode when using it in conjunction with SoftMPU, while SoftMPU emulates Intelligent mode in software.

Regarding the Roland RA-50: it's almost 100% compatible with the MT-32, apart from the issue with the All Notes Off command. That command is used by some games to silence all notes at once on a particular MIDI channel. The RA-50 filters this command, which results in notes being stuck. There are 2 ways to circumvent this issue:

1. Modify the RA-50 to bypass the chip where the filtering of the All Notes Off command occurs
  2. Convert the All Notes Off command to separate Note Off commands

The aforementioned hardware modification does the first, whereas SoftMPU/HardMPU does the latter. It keeps track of which notes are active on each MIDI channel. Whenever an All Notes Off command is issued on a particular channel, it sends separate Note Off commands for each active note instead. Unfortunately, as you need to keep track of the active notes, it means that you can't fix the issue by sending some SysEx messages in advance. So if you don't want to modify your RA-50, SoftMPU/HardMPU is your only option.

However, I'm actually working on something to provide the same functionality as the /RA50 and /DELAYSYSEX switches of SoftMPU, but doesn't require you to run a software TSR on your PC. It's a piece of software that runs on a MIDI processor instead, that you put in between the MIDI interface and the RA-50/MT-32. It's already working nicely here, but I need to find the time to polish and finish it before I can release it.

Reply 6 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lennart wrote on 2021-04-29, 12:59:

However, I'm actually working on something to provide the same functionality as the /RA50 and /DELAYSYSEX switches of SoftMPU, but doesn't require you to run a software TSR on your PC. It's a piece of software that runs on a MIDI processor instead, that you put in between the MIDI interface and the RA-50/MT-32. It's already working nicely here, but I need to find the time to polish and finish it before I can release it.

oohhh!
can't wait to see what it is! It will surely be helpful for both PCMIDI and Roland MPUs !

@mistermister
sorry I have never tried softmpu with pcmidi (or use softmpu in general) but if it is compatible with the MQ mpus then it will also work with PCMIDI like Lennart mentions

Reply 7 of 7, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2021-04-29, 14:55:

oohhh!
can't wait to see what it is! It will surely be helpful for both PCMIDI and Roland MPUs !

Yeah, that's why I started working on it 😀 I have an Orpheus and some other Intelligent mode compatible MPUs, so I don't actually need the Intelligent mode emulation provided by SoftMPU. Figured it would be nice to separate the functionality provided by the /RA50 and /DELAYSYSEX switches from the Intelligent mode emulation.