VOGONS

Reply 720 of 837, by polpo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
_ar wrote on 2024-02-05, 20:30:
Any particular area of interest or specific angle? […]
Show full quote

Any particular area of interest or specific angle?

I have did some testing, these are the ICs that have shorts between their legs:

U2: 11-13, 10-11, 4-11, 4-10, 1-19

U6: 4-10, 2-11, 3-12

U8: 3-4, 3-7, 4-7

Are these normal?

Yes, all of those are normal. Judging from the behavior you've described, take a close look at U9, which is the chip responsible for handling the IOCHRDY signal.

Reply 721 of 837, by _ar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
polpo wrote on 2024-02-05, 20:45:
_ar wrote on 2024-02-05, 20:30:
Any particular area of interest or specific angle? […]
Show full quote

Any particular area of interest or specific angle?

I have did some testing, these are the ICs that have shorts between their legs:

U2: 11-13, 10-11, 4-11, 4-10, 1-19

U6: 4-10, 2-11, 3-12

U8: 3-4, 3-7, 4-7

Are these normal?

Yes, all of those are normal. Judging from the behavior you've described, take a close look at U9, which is the chip responsible for handling the IOCHRDY signal.

Hi, Thank you for your answer and the amazing project 😀. I'll desolder U9 and check underneath as there're no bridges between the legs. Maybe I'll get a replacement for it and report back. Is there anything else I need to check in case U9 is ok?

Reply 722 of 837, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember that the first time I built my v1.1 I soldered in the wrong IC at U7 and had a similar issue. While checking your soldering make sure that the ICs are the right ones for the right pads 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 723 of 837, by Delphius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey polpo, I am finishing up on building a v1.2 board and I have a quick question about R7 and R8. These are listed on the BOM list for the DAC module, but it seems like they are actually used for the integrated DAC? I just want to verify before adding them and installing the DAC module overtop of them. I am not sure how they will affect the data lines when not using the integrated DAC.
Thanks!

Reply 724 of 837, by polpo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Delphius wrote on 2024-02-10, 20:42:

Hey polpo, I am finishing up on building a v1.2 board and I have a quick question about R7 and R8. These are listed on the BOM list for the DAC module, but it seems like they are actually used for the integrated DAC? I just want to verify before adding them and installing the DAC module overtop of them. I am not sure how they will affect the data lines when not using the integrated DAC.
Thanks!

If you're using the DAC module, there shouldn't be anything under it. I'll go and check the BOM and fix any mistakes about that.

Reply 725 of 837, by polpo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just restocked the Tindie store. This is my biggest batch yet but the waitlist is massive, thanks to PhilsComputerLab's video about it. 😅 https://www.tindie.com/products/polpo/picogus … -isa-retro-pcs/

Reply 726 of 837, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
polpo wrote on 2024-02-10, 21:00:

I've just restocked the Tindie store. This is my biggest batch yet but the waitlist is massive, thanks to PhilsComputerLab's video about it. 😅 https://www.tindie.com/products/polpo/picogus … -isa-retro-pcs/

Yeah, I think we DDoS'ed Tindie. I've been trying for 15 minutes to order one and it keeps timing out )-:

Reply 728 of 837, by Delphius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
polpo wrote on 2024-02-10, 20:58:
Delphius wrote on 2024-02-10, 20:42:

Thanks!

If you're using the DAC module, there shouldn't be anything under it. I'll go and check the BOM and fix any mistakes about that.

Thanks for the info, I finished everything up and it all works as it should. Let me know if there is anything v1.2 specific you would like me to check or verify.

I also have mouser projects available that I put together from the BOM that I can share as well if anyone is interested.

Reply 733 of 837, by Linoleum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ordered mine yesterday... So freakin excited!

#1: Sempron 3000+, 1Gb, HD3650 AGP, SB Audigy 2 ZS
#2: P4 1.8Ghz, 512Mb, Voodoo3 3000, SB Live!
#3: P3 866Mhz, 384Mb, Riva TNT2 AGP, SB Live!
#4: P233 MMX, 64Mb, ATI Rage II+, SB 32
#5: P100, 32Mb , S3 Virge, Sb16 & PicoGus v2.0

Reply 735 of 837, by myretropast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
polpo wrote on 2024-02-10, 21:00:

Got my order in on Saturday, looking forward to receiving this!

Reply 736 of 837, by serenitatis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm awaiting my picoGUS and want to know can I run it alongside with my ESS 1868 soundcard? My idea is ESS for gameport and SB compatibility, picoGUS for GUS stuff (CMS, AdLib maybe). Theoretically I will, but want to know experience from practice.

Reply 737 of 837, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
serenitatis wrote on 2024-02-14, 07:57:

I'm awaiting my picoGUS and want to know can I run it alongside with my ESS 1868 soundcard? My idea is ESS for gameport and SB compatibility, picoGUS for GUS stuff (CMS, AdLib maybe). Theoretically I will, but want to know experience from practice.

yeah i run mine in parallel to another sound card. You just need to make sure the IRQ and DMA are different. You can route the picogus audio into the line in of the ESS card.
So your SET BLASTER and SET ULTRASND env vars are what you should change.

Reply 738 of 837, by Linoleum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pickle wrote on 2024-02-14, 14:08:
serenitatis wrote on 2024-02-14, 07:57:

yeah i run mine in parallel to another sound card. You just need to make sure the IRQ and DMA are different. You can route the picogus audio into the line in of the ESS card.
So your SET BLASTER and SET ULTRASND env vars are what you should change.

Just got mine today and it's running along side of my Sound Blaster 32. Quite the killer combo! I cannot believe how much better the PicoGUS sounds compared to my Sound Blaster 32 in 2nd Reality Demo, Jazz Jackrabbit and Pinball Fantasies; night and day! Even going through Line-In of my SB!!

#1: Sempron 3000+, 1Gb, HD3650 AGP, SB Audigy 2 ZS
#2: P4 1.8Ghz, 512Mb, Voodoo3 3000, SB Live!
#3: P3 866Mhz, 384Mb, Riva TNT2 AGP, SB Live!
#4: P233 MMX, 64Mb, ATI Rage II+, SB 32
#5: P100, 32Mb , S3 Virge, Sb16 & PicoGus v2.0

Reply 739 of 837, by MNrocketry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My PicoGUS arrived in today's mail. I had to snap a photo of it next to my original GUS.

Attachments