VOGONS

First post, by Jaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Joining this board has been hazardous to my wallet. Before, my leftover retro machines were good enough as is, and I never bothered to tweak them. But now, seeing how cheap some hardware has gotten on the second-hand market, I find myself thinking, "Hmm, it's only $30 for a much better GPU. And I could get that really nice sound card for only $40." Then you find you've nickel-and-dimed yourself to oblivion.

Anyway, my current XP machine is using an ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen 3 board that has both PCI and PCIe slots. Currently it's using a Live! 5.1 card and I'm considering upgrading it. In reading about the 20K E-mu chip, it seems the primary difference between the 20k1 and 20k2 chips are an added processor to deal with PCIe latency. So, in terms of the card slot itself, and not so much a given card's features, is there any benefit to using PCI or PCIe for WinXP? Is one inherently more compatible/stable with XP? For cards that support soundbanks, does either interface matter for loading the soundbank in system memory?

Another small consideration is that it seems far more PCI audio cards include game ports, and thus far I don't see a single PCIe card that does. So if I go to a PCIe card, I'd need to get a separate game port card. I suppose I could leave the Live! card installed just for the game port, but having three audio devices installed ( mboard has integrated RealTek ) seems to be inviting conflict and configuration problems.

Reply 1 of 12, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jaron wrote on 2022-12-05, 16:11:

Another small consideration is that it seems far more PCI audio cards include game ports, and thus far I don't see a single PCIe card that does.

I don't really see a use case for having a gameport on a WinXP computer. There are plenty of USB joysticks and gamepads which are more suitable for WinXP era games.

And connecting an external MIDI device to any sound card newer than the SBLive can sometimes be finicky. I've had hanging note bugs and other weird issues when I tried that with an Audigy 2 ZS.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 12, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PCI vs PCIe doesn't matter when loading any SoundFont onto the SB X-Fi, I used to have the PCIe version and there was no noticeable difference on that regard.

As Joseph_Joestar said, USB joysticks and gamepads are more suitable for Windows XP and later unless you want to use legacy devices. Same goes for using any external MIDI device which the Roland UM-ONE USB MIDI interface (and similar devices) can handle with ease.

None of the SB X-Fi models ever had a gameport.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 12, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

theoretically no difference but were dealing with MS and creative. 1 hand MS changed the way sound cards worked when going from XP to vista by eliminating hardware acceleration. 2 creative re-engineering cards and drivers to make them vista compatible and calling then the same thing. If you don't want to worry about it, than just get a Original PCI X-FI and you wont have problems.

Reply 6 of 12, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jaron wrote on 2022-12-05, 17:07:
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-12-05, 16:51:

None of the SB X-Fi models ever had a gameport.

The early PCI ones did.

Nope. The pins aren't compatibles even if it resembles one.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 7 of 12, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've used both a PCI based Audigy 2 ZS and a PCIe based X-Fi card under Windows XP. I did not notice any differences in terms of latency or other audio issues/support.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 8 of 12, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-12-05, 17:22:

I've used both a PCI based Audigy 2 ZS and a PCIe based X-Fi card under Windows XP. I did not notice any differences in terms of latency or other audio issues/support.

Same.

I had zero issues with my PCIe X-Fi Titanium over the years. It has been rock solid under both WinXP and Win7 for me.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 9 of 12, by Jaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2022-12-05, 17:15:

theoretically no difference but were dealing with MS and creative. 1 hand MS changed the way sound cards worked when going from XP to vista by eliminating hardware acceleration. 2 creative re-engineering cards and drivers to make them vista compatible and calling then the same thing. If you don't want to worry about it, than just get a Original PCI X-FI and you wont have problems.

No, not so much a worry, just trying to get any relevant information. The transition time between XP and 7 is probably the weakest in my tech knowledge, so I'm just checking for any weird hardware conflicts or tendencies from the time that I'm not aware of. And yes, I know about the change in audio hardware support in Vista and 7, and I know of the Daniel K drivers. I'm looking at various X-Fi cards and Auzentech's that use the EMU chip ( Prelude and Forte ). Right now this is just a WinXP machine. I might decide to dual boot it with Win7 to work with most of my GOG library too.

Reply 10 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got the flagship Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion PCIe because I wanted the "top dog" card for my XP build and have not regretted it for 1 second.
Although I have a 2nd XP build with a X-Fi SB0770 OEM PCI from a parted out PC at work years ago and honestly apart from cosmetic differences in the driver I can't tell any difference
(well the PCIe card is better looking but thats not a technical difference)

I'm not sure if its placebo effect or not but I think I can tell the difference between the X-Fi and Audigy 2. I can't between the Audigy 2 and Live!

The Live! is also limited to EAX3, Quite a few big name games did come with EAX 4 so that may be another excuse to upgrade (the X-Fi's EAX 5 not so much)
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … ith_EAX_support

Overall I'd say get a 20k EMU based card but the model or interface doesnt really matter so choose whichever has the features most important for you.
I'd assume XP compatible USB to Joystick adapters exist but have never had the need myself so never looked into this.

Reply 11 of 12, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2022-12-06, 10:31:

I'm not sure if its placebo effect or not but I think I can tell the difference between the X-Fi and Audigy 2. I can't between the Audigy 2 and Live!

X-Fi cards have a significantly improved resampling algorithm. This is particularly useful when playing older games, some of which used 22 KHz sound samples even during the early 2000s.

The Live! is also limited to EAX3

The SBLive tops out at EAX2 actually. It was the original Audigy which first introduced EAX3. Creative made a pretty big deal out of it too, calling it EAX Advanced HD for a while.

Reply 12 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-12-06, 10:45:

The SBLive tops out at EAX2 actually. It was the original Audigy which first introduced EAX3. Creative made a pretty big deal out of it too, calling it EAX Advanced HD for a while.

You are right of course, I was getting mixed up with the Liveware version numbers.