VOGONS

First post, by bf_bullpup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everybody! I have a Dell Optiplex GX150 with Windows 98 SE and a Sound Blaster CT4780 card. I purchased it several years ago for older Windows and DOS gaming but was finally able to have everything working a few weeks ago.

Using the forums and guides here, I have succeeded in installing drivers for Sound Blaster for both Windows 98 and DOS. My Sound Blaster works great in Windows 98 and also when I start up in DOS (version 7.1 I believe). The Windows and pure DOS games I play have working sound and also GamePort controls.

However, I have not been able to get DOS games being played in the Windows 98 environment to recognize my SB card. This happens whether I double click on the EXE file for that game or attempt to run it from the Command Prompt. Those games work fine when I start my computer in DOS prompting, just not when I restart into Windows 98. Have I missed a step or is it something that just doesn't work with Windows 98's DOS emulation? Thank you!

Reply 1 of 6, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

are you using vxd or wdm drivers (.vxd or .sys extension)? both will install dos compatibility devices in device manager for games run under a windows command prompt, but most people find vxd dos compatibility more satisfying.

Reply 2 of 6, by bf_bullpup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stanwebber wrote on 2023-12-26, 20:22:

are you using vxd or wdm drivers (.vxd or .sys extension)? both will install dos compatibility devices in device manager for games run under a windows command prompt, but most people find vxd dos compatibility more satisfying.

Thank you, I missed that step. However I think I installed one Sound Blaster driver too much and my system is having issues. I would have better luck trying a brand new installation.

At the same time I also want to triple boot MS-DOS 6.22, Win 98 SE, and XP. Currently I have 98 and XP dual booted. So I will work on triple booting first and then try again installing .VXD drivers in my brand new 98 installation. I shall report back!

Reply 3 of 6, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

win98/dos 7.1 will run anything dos 6.22 will plus the limitations of fat16 are kinda annoying. i used to dual boot win98/xp as well, but eventually dropped xp as, likewise, win7 will run anything xp will. instead of win7, i replaced xp with q4os/wine and use grub2 as my win98 bootloader.

Reply 4 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stanwebber wrote on 2023-12-27, 19:16:

win98/dos 7.1 will run anything dos 6.22 will plus the limitations of fat16 are kinda annoying. i used to dual boot win98/xp as well, but eventually dropped xp as, likewise, win7 will run anything xp will. instead of win7, i replaced xp with q4os/wine and use grub2 as my win98 bootloader.

XP's benefit over Win7 is EAX still works
Fully agree Dos 6.22 AND Win9x is pointless

(Not saying not to do it OP, just it's not needed)

Reply 5 of 6, by bf_bullpup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stanwebber wrote on 2023-12-27, 19:16:

win98/dos 7.1 will run anything dos 6.22 will plus the limitations of fat16 are kinda annoying. i used to dual boot win98/xp as well, but eventually dropped xp as, likewise, win7 will run anything xp will.

I think I chose XP over 7 several years ago (when I was learning how to dual boot) because the former was more compatible with my retro PC, which I bought specifically because it was designed to be compatible with 98 (512 MB RAM and so on). My mindset right now is that my Windows 11 machine will run anything that 7 can. 😀

chinny22 wrote on 2023-12-27, 22:55:

XP's benefit over Win7 is EAX still works
Fully agree Dos 6.22 AND Win9x is pointless

(Not saying not to do it OP, just it's not needed)

Yeah I have read about the lack of need in the forums here. I don't believe I will run 6.22 very often. I hear a handful of games aren't compatible with 7.1 so I thought I would plan ahead. Installing DOS is relatively easy for me so I like the idea of having it installed just in case.

Reply 6 of 6, by bf_bullpup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am all set with this. I found this post that pointed out to the ISO file of the exact installation CD for my CT4780 card.

Re: Help installing Sound Blasters Live! CT4780 on Windows 98 please

The installer had a checkbox to install it into DOS (meaning 98's DOS 7.1). Now Sound Blaster is working for all four operating systems I have in my triple booting retro machine: MS-DOS 6.22, 98, DOS 7.1, and XP! XP did have a built-in driver for the card. Thank you everybody!