VOGONS

3dfx bars

Topic actions

First post, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got myself a Diamond Monster 3D 4mb PCI with a knocked capacitor which got replaced immediately, and decided to use it with my P100 build for DOS Glide gaming. With Tomb Raider, it appears to work, however I get dark vertical bars. Happens every time after the 3dfx switches outputs, starting when it shows the logo, and goes normal again when switching back to the S3. Could it be dry caps or something else? Also, is there any way to test its memory? I had Screamer 2 crash on me twice and noticed some weird colored pixels, a behavior which Tomb Raider doesn't exhibit at all so far. All chip legs are straight, card looks okay as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure I've seen similar behavior on a Cirrus Logic 542x VLB before, didn't know the cause back then either, suspected bad caps but not sure.

Attachments

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 2 of 7, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

does this also happen without loopcable ?

just connect your monitor directly to the 3dfx card, are there bars ?

i would replace all caps on the 3dfx.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 3 of 7, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, happens without loopcable too, auto-adjust doesn't help either. Picture is from an Acer 17" LCD monitor. Haven't tested on a CRT yet, though.

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 5 of 7, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The reason might be different timing from the 2D card and 3D card so the monitor can't use same stored settings for displaying both cards properly.
What resolution the game uses, and what resolution the monitor reports? (hint: some monitors can be switched between 640 and 720 pixel wide modes for 400-line modes)
Also, try using manual phase or width adjust.

Reply 7 of 7, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot! Messing with the phase settings and then forcing auto-conf solved the issue. Tomb Raider and Battle Arena Toshinden work fine, monitor reports 640x480 60Hz. They aren't artifacting or crashing at all too, maybe my Screamer 2 installation is borked.

Stojke wrote: