VOGONS

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I got lucky and finally got my hands on a Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 1 card to use in my Pentium MMX 233 machine. The other components are an S3 Trio 64 V2/DX 4mb PCI 2D card, a Belkin USB PCI card, and an ESS Audiodrive ES1688 ISA sound card.

The majority of the games I've tried are working fine, however some have this pretty unfortunate problem. Basically, some games when using the Voodoo for whatever reason have very bad staticky/laggy audio. It sounds similar to the issue LGR had with Pod here (Pod actually works perfectly for me, though):
https://youtu.be/9yT9KPQqBtE?t=2545

The worst examples of this happening are Lego Racers and Rayman 2, even though they otherwise run quite playably imo. Some other games I've tried like Sonic R and Rollcage also have the problem at first where when the framerate drops, the audio gets staticky/laggy along with it, but the problem goes away in both games when switching to 512x384. One more case where this happened but was fixable was with Screamer 2, and changing the sound from SB Pro to ESS Audiodrive fixed it.

I'm using the latest Diamond drivers from February 1999 that I got from Philscomputerlab's site. Also, I wonder if this has something to do with it, but the sound when I first installed Windows 95 OSR2 on the machine was quite staticky until I enabled Single Mode DMA. Should I change to different Voodoo drivers, and if so, what drivers would you all recommend for this system? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by thepirategamerboy12 on 2021-07-02, 21:12. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 45, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is based on globally reading this forum and not on first-hand experience, but try removing the USB card and/or not using USB peripherals.

Reply 2 of 45, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Oetker wrote on 2021-06-22, 19:00:

This is based on globally reading this forum and not on first-hand experience, but try removing the USB card and/or not using USB peripherals.

Just tried that and it sadly didn't fix it.

Reply 3 of 45, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also just tried using another sound card, a Vibra 16c and putting the DM3D in another PCI slot, and the exact same problem still happens. I doubt it, but is this perhaps because I'm not using the pass-through cable? I haven't gotten around to hooking that up yet.

Last edited by thepirategamerboy12 on 2021-06-23, 18:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 45, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, its even better, because you get nicer signal quality.

Did you try switch PCI Slots ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 5 of 45, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote on 2021-06-22, 22:49:

No, its even better, because you get nicer signal quality.

Did you try switch PCI Slots ?

Yeah, I already said I tried switching PCI slots and that didn't fix it. However, I think I've kinda fixed it a different way. I installed the IceMan unofficial driver kit and Lego Racers and some other games with issues now sound fine, though Rayman 2 still has sound issues (but not as bad). I swear the performance is slightly worse on some games, though. GLQuake used to give 38fps via the timedemo at 512x384 and now gives 35, and now another game called Carnivores no longer works at all. I guess I can switch between the two sets of drivers, but that's pretty annoying.

Reply 6 of 45, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
thepirategamerboy12 wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:24:

I installed the IceMan unofficial driver kit and Lego Racers and some other games with issues now sound fine, though Rayman 2 still has sound issues (but not as bad).

Not sure if this will help with your issue, but I'm using the latest official reference driver v3.01.00 together with DirectX 7.0a and I never had any problems with sound in games.

GLQuake used to give 38fps via the timedemo at 512x384 and now gives 35

That seems a bit low to me. With the reference driver + MiniGL 1.49, I'm getting 45 FPS in GL Quake at 512x384. All driver settings are at their default values, except for VSync, which I turned off for the benchmark.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 45, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With V1 I always use DX5 and the old 2.43er driver.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 8 of 45, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll try all these things in a few hours, I just had to take a break yesterday because it was a bit overwhelming. Thanks for all the tips. What is the 2.43er driver, though? Oh, by the way, my machine has DirectX 7 installed. The biggest issue when trying different drivers is that whenever I remove them in Device Manager, Win95 likes to immediately reinstall them again on next boot-up. Extremely annoying.

Reply 9 of 45, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried the official latest reference drivers and MiniGL 1.49, and in GLQuake 512x384 I get 34.9fps... I actually ran a 3D Mark 99 Max benchmark from using the latest Diamond Drivers and then when changing to the latest reference drivers, and the latter is worse. 1,108 before and 1,063 after.

Reply 10 of 45, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
thepirategamerboy12 wrote on 2021-06-23, 15:36:

I tried the official latest reference drivers and MiniGL 1.49, and in GLQuake 512x384 I get 34.9fps...

Looks like something is holding back your system.

Here are my benchmarks. I'm getting 45 FPS with a Pentium MMX 166 and an A-Trend Voodoo1 using the aforementioned drivers. Not sure if my AWE64 sound card makes any difference. That's what I used during the tests.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 11 of 45, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-06-23, 15:43:
thepirategamerboy12 wrote on 2021-06-23, 15:36:

I tried the official latest reference drivers and MiniGL 1.49, and in GLQuake 512x384 I get 34.9fps...

Looks like something is holding back your system.

Here are my benchmarks. I'm getting 45 FPS with a Pentium MMX 166 and an A-Trend Voodoo1 using the aforementioned drivers. Not sure if my AWE64 sound card makes any difference. That's what I used during the tests.

Actually, I did just make an improvement with GLQuake at least with the latest ref drivers. The Diamond driver control panel applet originally had a slider for nominal performance with best compatability or best performance with lower compatibility. That doesn't seem to exist in these newer drivers for some reason, but it added SET SST GRX_CLK=57 to autoexec when enabled. I added it manually and am now back to where I was before and am getting 37.9. Definitely better. Also, Carnivores will run when copying older Glide DLLs to the game directory. Are there perhaps BIOS options I could change to make it even better? Sorry if I'm being annoying about this at all, but I'm just somewhat of a perfectionist. I want it to be as best as I can possibly make it.

Reply 12 of 45, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reverting to the latest reference drivers was a good move, I'd say stick with them and avoid 3rd party hacked drivers or vendor drivers for the meantime.

"SET SST GRX_CLK=57" overclocks your Voodoo1 from 50 to 57MHz. I've seen custom drivers overclock it to 60 MHz. Some cards may be better overclockers than others, I'd generally suggest you keep the card at stock, it already gets hot enough at 50MHz.

You don't tell us what kind of motherboard you're using and specifically what chipset it has, how much RAM you've got installed and what kind of timings you're running RAM at. Joseph has a mainboard with 430TX which is one of the fastest socket 7 chipsets (certainly the fastest from Intel). If you have an SiS or VIA VPX chipset or perhaps even something older from Intel, your performance may suffer, especially if you're not running your RAM with as better timings as you can or perhaps if you're using >64MB on a chipset that can't cache more than that. Speaking of cache, if Joseph's motherboard has 512KB L2 cache and yours has 256KB then you can safely deduct 2-3 frames from that.

Last but not least, try using an older MiniGL driver such as 1.47, I seem to recall it giving me better performance on slower systems. Also, I believe Voodoo 1 got a full OpenGL ICD late in its life, try giving that a spin, although I imagine the MiniGLs will be faster.

Reply 13 of 45, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My autoexec.bat:
------------------------
SET SST_FASTPCIRD=1
SET SST_FASTMEM=1
SET BUILD_512X384=1
SET BUILD_GAMMA=1.10
SET SST_SCREENREFRESH=75
SET SST_RGAMMA=1.10
SET SST_GGAMMA=1.10
SET SST_BGAMMA=1.10
--------------------------

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 14 of 45, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Garrett W wrote on 2021-06-23, 16:12:
Reverting to the latest reference drivers was a good move, I'd say stick with them and avoid 3rd party hacked drivers or vendor […]
Show full quote

Reverting to the latest reference drivers was a good move, I'd say stick with them and avoid 3rd party hacked drivers or vendor drivers for the meantime.

"SET SST GRX_CLK=57" overclocks your Voodoo1 from 50 to 57MHz. I've seen custom drivers overclock it to 60 MHz. Some cards may be better overclockers than others, I'd generally suggest you keep the card at stock, it already gets hot enough at 50MHz.

You don't tell us what kind of motherboard you're using and specifically what chipset it has, how much RAM you've got installed and what kind of timings you're running RAM at. Joseph has a mainboard with 430TX which is one of the fastest socket 7 chipsets (certainly the fastest from Intel). If you have an SiS or VIA VPX chipset or perhaps even something older from Intel, your performance may suffer, especially if you're not running your RAM with as better timings as you can or perhaps if you're using >64MB on a chipset that can't cache more than that. Speaking of cache, if Joseph's motherboard has 512KB L2 cache and yours has 256KB then you can safely deduct 2-3 frames from that.

Last but not least, try using an older MiniGL driver such as 1.47, I seem to recall it giving me better performance on slower systems. Also, I believe Voodoo 1 got a full OpenGL ICD late in its life, try giving that a spin, although I imagine the MiniGLs will be faster.

I have 64mb of 72-pin SIMMs running at 60ns, and my motherboard has an Intel 430TX chipset with 512k of L2 cache. I'll try the 1.47 MiniGL driver in a sec. I really wish I imaged the hard drive before installing all these drivers, that would make this a lot easier to manage. I really don't want to reinstall Windows because I have so much stuff that I'd have to reinstall.

Last edited by thepirategamerboy12 on 2021-06-23, 16:52. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 15 of 45, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote on 2021-06-23, 16:21:
My autoexec.bat: ------------------------ SET SST_FASTPCIRD=1 SET SST_FASTMEM=1 SET BUILD_512X384=1 SET BUILD_GAMMA=1.10 SET SST […]
Show full quote

My autoexec.bat:
------------------------
SET SST_FASTPCIRD=1
SET SST_FASTMEM=1
SET BUILD_512X384=1
SET BUILD_GAMMA=1.10
SET SST_SCREENREFRESH=75
SET SST_RGAMMA=1.10
SET SST_GGAMMA=1.10
SET SST_BGAMMA=1.10
--------------------------

I'll try these things you sent, thanks.

Reply 16 of 45, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the record, my AUTOEXEC.BAT calls glideenv.bat which is where all the Voodoo related settings reside. The reference drivers automatically set that up, not me.

Here's what my glideenv.bat contains:

SET SST_RGAMMA=1.0
SET SST_GGAMMA=1.0
SET SST_BGAMMA=1.0
SET SST_SCREENREFRESH=85
SET FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL=0

Basically, my refresh rate is set to 85 (I'm using a CRT monitor) and VSync is disabled (only when I'm running benchmarks) and I have lowered the gamma to 1.0. Also, I never overclock my card since it gets quite hot even at the stock 50 MHz. The motherboard BIOS is mostly at default settings, no particular tweaks are used.

Reply 17 of 45, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. I think next I'm gonna try installing a fresh copy of Win95 on a spare drive and see if the performance is any different. Also, I tried MiniGL 1.47 and the performance was actually way worse than 1.49.

Reply 18 of 45, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, I'm using a pass-through cable now and I think the image quality looks pretty much identical. It looks fine to me, at least on my CRT.

Reply 19 of 45, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
thepirategamerboy12 wrote on 2021-06-23, 18:21:

Also, I'm using a pass-through cable now and I think the image quality looks pretty much identical. It looks fine to me, at least on my CRT.

You wont't see any image quality degradation while running 3D games since your Voodoo is directly connected to the monitor.

However, you may notice some issues when viewing 2D content e.g. the Windows desktop and such. Particularly in higher resolutions like 800x600 and above. I don't really perceive signal degradation in 640x480 and below, but if I raise the resolution any higher it does become apparent.