VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings!

I am wondering which driver for the Voodoo 5 is "the best" one for a K6-III+ 600 with 128MB RAM? I am thinking the reference driver for a slower system, but I want to be sure. Also, I currently have a Voodoo 2 in there, but I also have a V1 on hand, for older games. I know that there is a list (I have to find it again a peruse it) concerning V1 and V2 game compatibility, and I doubt I will play through every single glide game ever made (though I may want to at least check out ones I never did play before,) but I want to choose the best secondary glide card for this system. The system is mainly for emulating slower systems up to a Pentium 1, but I will definitely be playing Pentium II and III era games on it. I could technically put both the V1 and V2 in there as I have tested this before on a P3 system, but I would rather keep a NIC installed, especially with two sounds cars and an MPU-IPC-T installed.

Depending on the game compatibility list and what people recommend, I am thinking Voodoo2 and keeping the V1 in a recently built Pentium 166 MMX. Either way, I am also seeking the best driver version for both the old Voodoo cards for Windows 98SE. The only thing I am waiting on to complete the build is a matching second DVD DL burner and a DreamBlaster X16GS, an Mp32L, and a hard drive clicker from Serda Shop to arrive, so I am gathering all of the drivers and other software I will need for this build, which includes and Audigy 2 ZS with VXD drivers for Windows, an AWE32 CT2760 for DOS, and various CF cards. I am also digging ouit the Gravis Phoenix sticks and testing them out with the hope that one is good enough for use. Oh, and of course an earlier version of the VIA 4in1 drivers!

Many thank sin advance for driver recommendations!
Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 6, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A Voodoo1 in a 600Mhz PC wouldn't work that well, the V1 can have speed issues with fast CPUs, anything above 350Mhz is likely to start causing these issues but YMMV, the V2 would be an ok match if you have a nice AGP card to pair it with. The V5 should also work just fine but avoid the latest drivers and stick with the middle ground where the drivers are most stable. You could also use the community drivers over the reference ones, the V5 AGP is pretty much just using the AGP port as a 66Mhz PCI slot and doesn't use any AGP features at all so its a good card for AGP 2x/4x boards where AGP implementation may not be the most accurate.

Yes im looking at you VIA.

Reply 2 of 6, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-05-01, 03:40:

A Voodoo1 in a 600Mhz PC wouldn't work that well, the V1 can have speed issues with fast CPUs, anything above 350Mhz is likely to start causing these issues but YMMV, the V2 would be an ok match if you have a nice AGP card to pair it with. The V5 should also work just fine but avoid the latest drivers and stick with the middle ground where the drivers are most stable. You could also use the community drivers over the reference ones, the V5 AGP is pretty much just using the AGP port as a 66Mhz PCI slot and doesn't use any AGP features at all so its a good card for AGP 2x/4x boards where AGP implementation may not be the most accurate.

Thank you! I'll be using programs to slow down the PC, depending on the game, but at any rate I will probably go with the V2 and leave the V1 in the P1. I read some information, I think from Phil's Computer Lab, on how to emulate a 386, 486, and a P1 with a K6+, but now I can't find it. I'll scour my history. I think it was a chart with settings to achieve the desired emulation, but I can't remember exactly.

Reply 3 of 6, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-05-01, 04:08:

Thank you! I'll be using programs to slow down the PC, depending on the game, but at any rate I will probably go with the V2 and leave the V1 in the P1. I read some information, I think from Phil's Computer Lab, on how to emulate a 386, 486, and a P1 with a K6+, but now I can't find it. I'll scour my history. I think it was a chart with settings to achieve the desired emulation, but I can't remember exactly.

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/136-in-1-pentium-mmx.html

May have been me in one of your previous threads about slowing down your PII, you can apply most of the settings for the pentium to the K6-2, however the on die L2 cache of a K6-3 may mean you have to tweak a few more settings.

Last edited by Trashbytes on 2024-05-01, 04:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-05-01, 03:04:

I currently have a Voodoo 2 in there, but I also have a V1 on hand, for older games. I know that there is a list (I have to find it again a peruse it) concerning V1 and V2 game compatibility, and I doubt I will play through every single glide game ever made (though I may want to at least check out ones I never did play before,) but I want to choose the best secondary glide card for this system.

The compatibility matrix can be found here: Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix. I did a mod to deal with the few DOS games that doesn't run according to that matrix.

For Windows games using an early version of the Glide API, grab both GLIDE.DLL and SST1INIT.DLL files from an older driver for the Voodoo Graphics card, and put them in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory.

I am also seeking the best driver version for both the old Voodoo cards for Windows 98SE.

The best Windows 9x driver in my experience for the Voodoo Graphics and Voodoo2 cards are the 3.00.01 and the non-beta 3.03.00 respectively.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 6, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-05-01, 04:14:
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-05-01, 04:08:

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/136-in-1-pentium-mmx.html

May have been me in one of your previous threads about slowing down your PII, you can apply most of the settings for the pentium to the K6-2, however the on die L2 cache of a K6-3 may mean you have to tweak a few more settings.

Thanks! I remember conversing in that thread, and some of it is coming back to me, hehhe.. I read so much through every single day and haven't had restful sleep since 2016, so sometimes things become a blur.

Reply 6 of 6, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2024-05-01, 04:16:
The compatibility matrix can be found here: Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix. I did a mod to deal with the few DOS games […]
Show full quote
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-05-01, 03:04:

I currently have a Voodoo 2 in there, but I also have a V1 on hand, for older games. I know that there is a list (I have to find it again a peruse it) concerning V1 and V2 game compatibility, and I doubt I will play through every single glide game ever made (though I may want to at least check out ones I never did play before,) but I want to choose the best secondary glide card for this system.

The compatibility matrix can be found here: Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix. I did a mod to deal with the few DOS games that doesn't run according to that matrix.

For Windows games using an early version of the Glide API, grab both GLIDE.DLL and SST1INIT.DLL files from an older driver for the Voodoo Graphics card, and put them in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory.

I am also seeking the best driver version for both the old Voodoo cards for Windows 98SE.

The best Windows 9x driver in my experience for the Voodoo Graphics and Voodoo2 cards are the 3.00.01 and the non-beta 3.03.00 respectively.

Perfect! Thank you!