VOGONS

Reply 200 of 661, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is really a historical moment 😁 Can;t wait to see more games in action. I also wonder if the cable for connecting the primary card is EXACTLY the same as in Voodoo ?

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 201 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VooDooMan wrote:

This is really a historical moment 😁 Can;t wait to see more games in action. I also wonder if the cable for connecting the primary card is EXACTLY the same as in Voodoo ?

Won't be more games to test. I've tried the retail versions of Cyberspeed and Airpower and none of those detects the card. Also no users and reviewers claimed to receive the extra 3 games back in 95/96 and you'll find no used card sales listings on Google Groups with the extra games included. Everything points to they not being released.

Regarding the cable, I plan on scanning the manual and uploading it. The manual is needed incase anyone gets the bare card. It uses a 15pin to 9pin loop back cable, its not the standard VGA cable as on a Voodoo or MPEG accelerator card. The manual provides the pin-out of the cable so it's possible to make one yourself.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 203 of 661, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Amazing, what can be said about the chip now? Texture perspective correction in first game is broken or absent, and in the second the bridge has at least one level mip map. What resolution are they?
I thought the chip could have been in Japan on other cards, maybe there were more games.

Reply 204 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote:

Amazing, what can be said about the chip now? Texture perspective correction in first game is broken or absent, and in the second the bridge has at least one level mip map. What resolution are they?
I thought the chip could have been in Japan on other cards, maybe there were more games.

Resolutions are 640x480 for Tank Commander and 640x400 for FX Fighter.
I've been trying to see if the chip was released on other products as well, but I've not found any evidence. It might have found its way into industrial, defense, CAD, arcade or that type of hardware. Have not seen any consumer products beside the Tasmania 3D.

Reply 205 of 661, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Resolutions are 640x480 for Tank Commander and 640x400 for FX Fighter.
I've been trying to see if the chip was released on other products as well, but I've not found any evidence. It might have found its way into industrial, defense, CAD, arcade or that type of hardware. Have not seen any consumer products beside the Tasmania 3D.

Have not yet seen it on arcade. Furthermore, this may be a blanket assumption but there's not a lot of Japanese info about the Yamaha chip. I've been wondering if it's actually designed and developed by Yamaha US. Press releases _seem_ to bear this out, so far...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 206 of 661, by falloutboy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello to everyone, I just received my first ever Rendition card it is a V2200 8MB PCI no brand name on it.
I started "Monster Truck Madness 2" and checked the renderer. And there it was "Rendition" yes yes yes.
Performance is really good, I might be still CPU limited on the K6-III+@550MHz.
You can check the framerate by typing "frame" in a race. This works also in other Terminal Reality games

I checked the game mainfolder, it contains this files:

trid3d.dll --> direct3d
triglide.dll --> 3dfx
trirend.dll --> Rendition
trinec.dll --> PowerVR

The readme file also mentions Rendition and PowerVR support.
It also mentions "no underwater or fogging effects with V2X00 display adapters" (in Rendition mode).

I found a demo version
http://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Monster_T … _Madness_2.html
all renderer files are in there too.

Monster Truck Madness 2 is also on this rendition games list
www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Rendition-(company)

The "Monster Truck Madness 2\system\Monster.INI" configuration file might be interesting, it contains
"antialiasFlag=0"
It didn't change anything in the Rendition mode (driver version "v2k-3.0b5").
Maybe it works on a Voodoo2?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"CART Precision Racing Trial" is a direct3d only game.
I copy pasted the Rendition "trirend.dll" rendering file to the main folder.
The game does not crash, but it shows me only a cockpit & the HUD in Rendition mode.
This game contains also a config file, the same way as in Monster Truck Madness 2.
Maybe some tweaking is necessary to make it work ?
This way dithering can be enabled for d3d renderer.
---
The 3dfx "triglide.dll" rendering file might work as mentioned here
"the Glide driver can boost frame rates and overall performance by almost 70 percent."
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/secret-drive … b/1100-2462386/

PowerVR ? It's up to you guys

---
Type "frame" in the game to check the fps.

===========================================================================================
I checked other Terminal Reality games and found the game
"Fly!" a late 1999 game.
Here they mention PowerVR, Rendition & 3dfx support

http://www.combatsim.com/archive/htm/htm_arc2/fly1.htm

Q: Will Fly! support 3D acceleration? If so, what cards and API’s will be used? […]
Show full quote

Q: Will Fly! support 3D acceleration? If so, what cards and API’s will be used?

A: Yes, Fly! will definitely support and take advantage of 3D acceleration. Fly!
will directly support Voodoo and Voodoo 2 based cards through 3Dfx’s Glide API,
Rendition and PowerVR based cards through their respective API’s, and all
others through Microsoft Direct3D.

screenshots http://www.ign.com/images/games/737-for-fly-p … dc388ed13e45289
video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPQNiyHM9hc

Shortly after they released an enhanced version, Fly! 2K,
and an add-on, Wilco's 737 for Fly!, in 2000.
There is may be a chance for this game too, if not native than with files from the original Fly! ?

===========================================================================================
Terminal Reality "Photex2" & "Photex3" engine games

https://github.com/jtrfp/jtrfp/wiki/Terminal-Reality
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_Reality#Photex_engine

Reply 207 of 661, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, Fly! supports the glide API. Added to my nGlide testing list. Tnx.
There are only trid3d.dll, tridx6.dll and triglide.dll in the Fly! installed game directory. So we have glide, 2 d3d (dx5 and dx6) and software (by fly.exe itself) renderers. Plus both d3d renderers can use or not AGP. No Rendition or PowerVR here.
Theoretically you can copy the corresponding .dll and try. Practically - I don't have these videocards. Plus there is a difference between "retail support" and "manually tweaked by S&M methods".
I will test all Terminal Reality games for the glide support...

P.S. 4x4 Evo - tridx7, trigl and triglide.
Blair Witch Volume One: Rustin Parr - tridx7.
Blair Witch Volume II: the Legend of Coffin Rock - triglide, trid3d, tridx6, tridx7, trigl.
Blair Witch Volume 3: the Elly Kedward Tale - tridx7.
Bloodrayne - tridx8tl, trigl.
CART Precision Racing - trid3d. And there is "leaked" triglide.
Monster Truck Madness 2 - see above.
Fly! II - tridx7, tridx8, tridx8tl.
Fly! 2k - don't have this game. IIRC it was released as a digital download only.
Nocturne - tri3dfx, trid3d, tridx6, tridx7.
So - only Monster Truck Madness 2 have PowerVR and Rendition renderers and maybe can work with them.

P.S.S. Tri3dfx.dll in Nocturne not have glide*.dll dependencies. Looks like it's a tweaked d3d6 renderer. Blair Witch Volume II: the Legend of Coffin Rock always uses d3d7 renderer. You can rename triglide to trid3d7 to force glide, but the game can't use this renderer and restarts in the software mode.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2014-10-25, 19:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 209 of 661, by falloutboy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for testing!

CART Precision Racing

Power VR cart.dll file from NEC (31 K). Fixes hardware issues for PowerVR cards (the "black box effect"). Once unzipped, the car […]
Show full quote

Power VR cart.dll file from NEC (31 K). Fixes hardware issues for PowerVR cards
(the "black box effect"). Once unzipped, the cart.dll file should be placed in
the CPR folder. It will add PowerVR as an option to the Renderer menu
(in the Graphics options). "Sky textures" and "mirrors - everything" should
also be selected. You need to have CPR version 1.01 for this file to work.

Not shure is this testet allready or not.

PowerVR file http://web.archive.org/web/20060204205936/htt … powervrcart.zip

Patch 1.01
http://www.patches-scrolls.com/dl.php?file=cart101.zip

3dfx file http://www.gamefront.com/files/898865

Can't test the PowerVR files myself.
3dfx does work.

Edit: Added PowerVR file for CART Precision Racing

Attachments

• Filename
    powervrcart.zip
    File size
    30.92 KiB
    Downloads
    106 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by falloutboy on 2015-08-16, 09:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 210 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the new info 😀

I'll test Monster Truck Madness 2 and CART when I get the chance

Reply 211 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, here are the results:

So far I can confirm Monster Truck Madness 2 can be added to the PowerVR list. It has support out of the box. CART works as well for PowerVR (and fixes the Direct3D glitches experienced with those cards) with the supplied patches. I would have to say that the optimization for PowerVR is pretty bad compared to other PowerSGL games, performance is not good compared to the V2200 (in Direct3D or Rendition mode) on a P166.

Rendition works out of the box in Monster Truck Madness 2, but adding the trirend.dll file into CART Racing gives a broken game:
20141027225234.jpg
20141027225245.jpg

Reply 212 of 661, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

I would have to say that the optimization for PowerVR is pretty bad compared to other PowerSGL games, performance is not good compared to the V2200 (in Direct3D or Rendition mode) on a P166.

Well, PCX can't match V2200 even with stronger CPU. I tried the CartX with PCX1, and the PowerVR path works, but some places are jerky. Minimal framerate is three times below D3d.

Reply 213 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mananged to acquire the PowerVRDirect release of Actua Soccer for PowerVR. Will be putting up images of the case/disc later.

Reply 214 of 661, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Mananged to acquire the PowerVRDirect release of Actua Soccer for PowerVR. Will be putting up images of the case/disc later.

Great! 😁 Is there anything you are still missing?

Stiletto

Reply 215 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
vetz wrote:

Great! 😁 Is there anything you are still missing?

It looks like the release from PowerVRDirect has more languages than the OEM PowerVR release from Gateway. It also includes the DOS software version. I think this makes the most complete version available of the game.

if I had to be picky it would be the Screamer disc from Number Nine Reality 332 (S3 Virge). The executable is available for download, but would be great to have the original disc as well.

Reply 217 of 661, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Found, tested on a M3D and uploaded the following PowerVR enabled demos:

vetz, could you please package up the tech demos too? As I understand it, the PowerVR demos are strewn across three separate driver discs at VOGONSDrivers.

Also, the driver disc image for the Paradise Tasmania3D (provided there's no infringing content)? We have the DOS drivers at VOGONSDrivers but maybe that is all.

Likewise, now that you've completed your disc collection, will you eventually be making more patches from retail/demo to OEM/proprietary? 🤣

Thanks in advance! 😀

Stiletto

Reply 218 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
vetz, could you please package up the tech demos too? As I understand it, the PowerVR demos are strewn across three separate dri […]
Show full quote
vetz wrote:

Found, tested on a M3D and uploaded the following PowerVR enabled demos:

vetz, could you please package up the tech demos too? As I understand it, the PowerVR demos are strewn across three separate driver discs at VOGONSDrivers.

Also, the driver disc image for the Paradise Tasmania3D (provided there's no infringing content)? We have the DOS drivers at VOGONSDrivers but maybe that is all.

Likewise, now that you've completed your disc collection, will you eventually be making more patches from retail/demo to OEM/proprietary? 🤣

Thanks in advance! 😀

Good idea with the techdemos. I'll see if I can do it 😀

As I've mentioned before the driver files for the Tasmania3D is included on the FX Fighter disc. I've scanned and uploaded the manual as well. If someone can prove they own the card I don't mind helping them out with drivers and/or the two supported games.

Yes, more patches will come, but it's the time you know 😉

Reply 219 of 661, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Good idea with the techdemos. I'll see if I can do it 😀

😀 Long-term goal: more than just PowerVR need done for that...

vetz wrote:

As I've mentioned before the driver files for the Tasmania3D is included on the FX Fighter disc. I've scanned and uploaded the manual as well. If someone can prove they own the card I don't mind helping them out with drivers and/or the two supported games.

Very good! Okay, sorry!

vetz wrote:

Yes, more patches will come, but it's the time you know 😉

Oh yes, I know very well. 😉

Stiletto