VOGONS

First post, by baer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys,

I could need some help setting up an ATI Mach32 PCI with 2 MByte Ram. Purchased that thing off eBay lately. Downloaded several versions of the ATI configuration program (INSTALL.EXE) but had no luck so far. This is the current situation:

Installed the MACH32 using a Pentium-III motherboard with onboard graphics which is disabled in BIOS.
I can boot up the system, monitor shows text mode ok.
Did a quick test install of Windows 98SE, worked ok but cannot get higher video resolutions because the MACH32 is in all likeyhood in a factory default configuration.

So I boot a clean DOS without any memory drivers from a floppy.
Using the DOS debugger, I check the video bios. It's right there at C000:0 and shows "MACH32 PI BIOS" ...
Run ATI's INSTALL.EXE to setup the allowed video modes but get an error: "Cannot find MACH32 Bios"!
Try ATI's C-INFO.EXE and get "MACH32 adapter not found"!

So ... do I have the wrong ATI utilities? Is there a special set of Utilities to setup the PCI version of the MACH32? What else could be the problem? The motherboard is a 1999 HP Pavilion 6736 which has a Trigem motherboard with 3 PCI slots. Nothing special. And as I said, the onboard video is disabled in Bios settings.

Who can help?
Thanks, Markus.

Reply 1 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 98SE should have built-in drivers for the MACH32. Did you change the monitor in Windows 98 to something like "SVGA 1024x768"? The MACH32 is not able to detect Plug&Play monitors, so Windows may limit you to 640x480 because of that.

Reply 2 of 5, by baer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Windows 98SE should have built-in drivers for the MACH32. Did you change the monitor in Windows 98 to something like "SVGA 1024x768"? The MACH32 is not able to detect Plug&Play monitors, so Windows may limit you to 640x480 because of that.

Yes I know that Windows 98SE has builtin drivers. And they work. And no matter which type of "monitor" you install in Windows 98SE, it is the MACH32 which will allow or disallow video modes.
And you have to use ATI's DOS-based INSTALL utility to setup memory aperture, memory sharing and allowed video modes. And this utility is what gives me a headache because it's not working. Maybe my initial description was unclear about that?

ATI's install utility does not install anything. It is used to setup video modes and memory settings in the MACH32's onboard eeprom.

So I ask again: does the PCI version of MACH32 require a different DOS install utility than the ISA version? I could not find a special pci edition of that utility on the internet. I had ISA and EISA versions 20 years ago and never had problems with the install utility not recognizing the video board.

Thanks,
Markus.

Reply 3 of 5, by baer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Meanwhile I am pretty sure that there must be a special version of ATI's DOS based Install Utility for the MACH32 PCI board. So I am asking anyone who might still have original floppy disks (or images) for the MACH32 PCI to help me out.

Thanks,
Markus.

Reply 4 of 5, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I have the driver disks for the Graphics Ultra Pro (Mach32) ISA/VLB version but I just can't imagine how that would be of any help as the original disks v2.03 are already in the vogonsdrivers database.
>> http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=103

Reply 5 of 5, by baer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
blurks wrote:

Well, I have the driver disks for the Graphics Ultra Pro (Mach32) ISA/VLB version but I just can't imagine how that would be of any help as the original disks v2.03 are already in the vogonsdrivers database.
>> http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=103

I even found the probably last version - 2.6 (for ISA/EISA/VLB/PCI) - in this forum, thanks to user "retro games 100" and his post: ATi Mach32 VLB VGA card, quick test

I tried it and the install.exe file definitely contains references to the PCI version of MACH32. It still does not work! 😢

I am starting to believe that my MACH32 board and the motherboard are simply not compatible, at least regarding ATI's install.exe program. Maybe the processor is too fast (1 GHz Pentium III) or the darn "Video Bios Shadow" (which I can't turn off) is to blame.
Looks like I'm out of luck, unless I can find somebody with an old working 486 system who will let me use it for a bit to setup this beast. Sometimes things are just not supposed to happen, I guess.

But Thank You guys for all your hints and comments.
Markus.