VOGONS

ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 93, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks marxveix it's great that multitexture can get you a few more fps on Quake 2.
Interesting I couldn't get multitexture to work with GLQuake, when starting it detects multitexture support in the console then just crashes, I had to remove the multitexture extensions from atidbg.ini to get it started.

Any idea what UseAsm=1, UseGen=1, or BMPad=1 actually do?

@Takedasun did you spot any vsync controls or triple buffer switch in the driver? Latest opengl works great with Half Life, but I can find no way to enable vsync in the game and the screen tearing is quite distracting.

Reply 41 of 93, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Spark wrote on 2023-07-18, 07:54:

Thanks marxveix it's great that multitexture can get you a few more fps on Quake 2.
Interesting I couldn't get multitexture to work with GLQuake, when starting it detects multitexture support in the console then just crashes, I had to remove the multitexture extensions from atidbg.ini to get it started.

What OpenGL version and what driver are you using? I am using 5.38.x customized driver for 3dcif combapility. I just tested with GLQuake v0.98 and v0.97 with latest 1107 OGL and multitexture works the same way, i had similar crashing moments with some setups before.

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 42 of 93, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using the latest rage pro driver package, so OpenGL ICD v1107.
Half Life also refuses to start in OGL mode with the driver multitexture extensions on.
Unreal does work though, looks good, and plays alright for the most part.

Attachments

Reply 43 of 93, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good results without any overlock or Quake1/2 tweaks, only Spark solution/fix for newer ATi Rage OpenGLs and GLQuake game was there. Used atidbg.ini for OpenGL changes, Rage Pro Tweaker uninstalled. Made many extra runs + restarts do be sure.

SamePC AMD K6-2+ 400MHz - 256MB Ram - RageXL(RagePro) 8MB AGP - all @ default - OpenGL version 1088

GLQuake 0.98
timedemo demo1 640x480 44.8fps (bilinear + multitexture disabled)
timedemo demo1 640x480 33.2fps (bilinear + multitexture enabled)

Quake2 v3.20 (OpenGL)
timedemo 1 map demo1.dm2 640x480 33.1fps (bilinear + multitexture disabled)
timedemo 1 map demo1.dm2 640x480 30.9fps (bilinear + multitexture enabled)

RagePro-Tweaker releases, first public release has also Quake1/Quake2 option + added d3d-ogl.reg from RageLTMan, d3d-ogl.reg does not work for older builds, that i mostly use (5.38.x or 5.40.x)

RagePro-Tweaker adds d3d/opengl/oc settings to the menu:
https://www.upload.ee/files/15472882/ragepro- … weaker.zip.html

For some newer drivers use this .reg to add D3D/OGL options (if missing from menu).
https://www.upload.ee/files/15472894/d3d-ogl.reg.html

More OpenGL settings from RagePro-Tweaker, disable for experiment or for fun. Only OpenGL option that i disable is Bilinear filtering.

[Kelvin]
Bilinear=0 (Disable Bi-linear filtering)
Alpha=0 (Disable Alpha Blrending)
TexMap=0 (Disable Dexture Mapping)

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 44 of 93, by Takedasun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Takedasun did you spot any vsync controls or triple buffer switch in the driver? Latest opengl works great with Half Life, but I can find no way to enable vsync in the game and the screen tearing is quite distracting.

I don't know if it will work, only found one variable.

[OPENGL]
BreakPageFlipping=0

Reply 45 of 93, by Takedasun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any idea what UseAsm=1, UseGen=1, or BMPad=1 actually do?

I did not find any mention of the UseAsm and UseGen variables in the ATOGLRP9.DLl file.

There are other variables

[Performance]
SkipFlipWaitIdle
UseAsmDraw
UsePioDraw
BMPad

Reply 46 of 93, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Takedasun wrote on 2023-07-19, 21:08:
I don't know if it will work, only found one variable. […]
Show full quote

[OPENGL]
BreakPageFlipping=0

RagePro-tweaker has vsync D3D option, does this work only for Direct3D? I upload updated OpenGL zip package with 1088 + other OGL versions soon. Missing these OpenGL Win9x versions at the moment (1087 and 1071 + maybe others).

Reply 48 of 93, by Takedasun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
marxveix wrote on 2023-07-19, 21:24:

RagePro-tweaker has vsync D3D option, does this work only for Direct3D?

D3D settings are controlled via the atiddraw.ini file.

[Flip]
BreakPageFlipping=1

Only works with early drivers 4.10.xxxx

Reply 49 of 93, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Takedasun wrote on 2023-07-19, 21:36:

I upload updated OpenGL zip package with 1088 .

Where can I download the complete 1088 driver?

Probably downloaded from driverguide, but its here:
CHURCH_OEMS_5_Mitac(Sharp) - Church-PCD59
https://www.upload.ee/files/15473302/VGA.zip.html

Reply 50 of 93, by Takedasun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
marxveix wrote on 2023-07-19, 22:21:
Probably downloaded from driverguide, but its here: CHURCH_OEMS_5_Mitac(Sharp) - Church-PCD59 https://www.upload.ee/files/154733 […]
Show full quote

I upload updated OpenGL zip package with 1088 .

Thanks, added it to the driver collection

Reply 52 of 93, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Takedasun wrote on 2023-07-20, 10:48:
marxveix wrote on 2023-07-19, 22:21:
Probably downloaded from driverguide, but its here: CHURCH_OEMS_5_Mitac(Sharp) - Church-PCD59 https://www.upload.ee/files/154733 […]
Show full quote

Thanks, added it to the driver collection

Thank you for your help!

OpenGL 1068 is bit faster for Quake2 than 1088 i tested lately, cant get 1073 to work at the moment, 1073 seems again faster than 1068 for Quake2. RagePro 5.37b60l readme.txt has GL1071 Release Notes, so 5.37 beta releases has also 1071 OpenGL or can be found somewhere near.

Quake2 v3.20 (OpenGL) 1068 results:
timedemo 1 map demo1.dm2 640x480 33.9fps (bilinear + multitexture disabled)
timedemo 1 map demo1.dm2 640x480 31.1fps (bilinear + multitexture enabled)

Reply 53 of 93, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Takedasun wrote on 2023-07-19, 21:08:
I don't know if it will work, only found one variable. […]
Show full quote

[OPENGL]
BreakPageFlipping=0

Yes this fixed it thanks. BreakPageFlipping=0 fixes the screen tearing in half life.

Reply 54 of 93, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Updated Rage3-OpenGL package (where is v1071 and v1087 OpenGL)?
https://www.upload.ee/files/15500054/Rage3-GL … pdated.zip.html

Someone can test this@OpenGL 1073, my K6-2+RageXL freezes@1073
https://www.upload.ee/files/15500065/5.38.Rag … r-Beta.zip.html

Driver has newer v1091 OpenGL, v1073 zip here:
download/file.php?id=162495

Reply 55 of 93, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm getting a black screen on starting Return to Castle Wolfenstein on rage pro.
Are there any tricks to starting this game?
On this page https://www.oocities.org/ziyadhosein/rprow98.htm they say the demo version works but I've tried both the demo and the retail version. The game menu never loads.
It's an 8mb rage pro on the latest driver package. The same Win98 PC starts and plays American Mcgees Alice fine which is also Quake 3 engine and has the same minimum spec.

Reply 56 of 93, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Spark wrote on 2023-08-02, 21:08:
I'm getting a black screen on starting Return to Castle Wolfenstein on rage pro. Are there any tricks to starting this game? On […]
Show full quote

I'm getting a black screen on starting Return to Castle Wolfenstein on rage pro.
Are there any tricks to starting this game?
On this page https://www.oocities.org/ziyadhosein/rprow98.htm they say the demo version works but I've tried both the demo and the retail version. The game menu never loads.
It's an 8mb rage pro on the latest driver package. The same Win98 PC starts and plays American Mcgees Alice fine which is also Quake 3 engine and has the same minimum spec.

I have played this game before with Rage Pro / XL, at least with my 5.38.x drivers they work, sometimes it started in normal mode also, but most cases it returns to desktop now, safe mode worked all the time for me. Add +safe command to your shortcuts. Working safe mode example i added, but they are with my game location and d:\ drive.

Target: "D:\Games\Return to Castle Wolfenstein\WolfSP.exe" +safe
Target: "D:\Games\Return to Castle Wolfenstein\WolfMP.exe" +safe
https://www.upload.ee/files/15534950/Return_t … e_Mode.zip.html

Still the mission text was not so well readable, but game worked, tested it again with older 1091 and newest 1107 OpenGL, just needed to install the game and upgrade my directx version, start the game with safe mode and that was it with my AMD K6-2+ PC.

I hope safe mode start fixes it for you, if not, try older OpenGL versions also, but not 107x or more older ones. OpenGL 11xx gives black screen without safe mode, with safe mode they work.

Also there are many official and unofficial update pathces for the game, version 1.32 is latest official probably:
https://archive.org/details/wolf_update_132

Reply 57 of 93, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the tip - in safe mode it now crashes to the desktop rather than locking the machine so that's an improvement.
Could it be that you have some extra settings that help it run in your atidbg.ini ?

Reply 58 of 93, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Spark wrote on 2023-08-06, 17:18:

Thanks for the tip - in safe mode it now crashes to the desktop rather than locking the machine so that's an improvement.
Could it be that you have some extra settings that help it run in your atidbg.ini ?

Atidbg.ini settings do not matter for the game starting issue , i deleted atidbg.ini file from windows folder and safe mode still works well for me. One or some atidbg.ini settings that i removed resolved also menu text and mission text visibility, that is perfectly readable now. I do not have any extra settings inside atidbg.ini that is not posted here before. Did you try any other OpenGL version than latest one (4.12.1107)? It is easy to copy OpenGL file over if you have unpacked OpenGL-s, no need to restart your pc.

Latest 11xx OpenGLs are showing black screen in normal mode for me, but with safe mode they all also work.

Reply 59 of 93, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help, got it working, first needed to reinstall windows - I think a previous install of Thief II's dodgy video codecs was causing issues with RTCW's intro video. Windows reinstall cleared that all out. Then had to remove OpenGLv3.dll and OpenGLv5.dll from the game's gl folder to get the game to use the rage pro opengl. Now it starts fine without needing safe mode! Just need to sort out the menu text readability issue. I do have atidbg.ini in the windows folder but it only has multitexturing extensions and pageflipping enabled, so I don't see how that would upset text rendering, but have to do a bit more experimenting there.