VOGONS

First post, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been wanting to play around with one of these ever since I first read about these in the early 1990s. They had builtin anti aliasing features that were really interesting. Michael Abrash wrote several articles about the Edsun CEG for Dr Dobb's Journal and I have all the articles which I am attaching. I have a couple Cardex ET4000 ISA video cards with a DIP 28 socket for the RAM DAC that I plan on putting these in. I was able to source some NOS old stock from a two sellers on eBay. One is from Germany and the other is from Poland. The seller from Poland is selling them in 2pcs lots. Just search for Edsun EL171 and you will find the listings. I just wanted to pass the information along in case anyone else is interested in trying these out. I will post more once I have the Edsun CEG RAM DAC chips and try them out.

Attachments

• Filename
    abrash_txt.zip
    File size
    389.97 KiB
    Downloads
    61 downloads
    File comment
    Michael Abrash Dr Dobb's Journal articles
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 30, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you. 🙂👍

User derSammler has a bit experience with CEG hardware, I believe.

His Schneider VGA AT System 70 CEG has the CEG upgrade.: My Schneider AT Towers

CEG would be extra nice on modern LCD monitors. 🙂
Aliasing makes things look so unpleasant.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 30, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just wanted pass along the following link that has a PDF with a really good article in Analog Devices Number 3, Volume 24, 1990. Analog Devices RAM DAC used the Edsun CEG scheme in their implementation. Sounds like it would basically be the same thing as the one from Edsun Laboratories. You may be able to source one of these as well to try out. I have however been unable to find any online.

https://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialogue/art … hances-vga.html

Reply 3 of 30, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for sharing this, I hope you can share some pictures if you spot any differences. Looks like they're drop-in replacements for DIP28 / PLCC44 RAMDACs from that era.

If that Polish seller is who I think it is, they sell good parts. Actually new if it says it's new and the packaging is very sensible for sensitive / easily damaged chips.

Reply 4 of 30, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-06-06, 23:53:

Thanks for sharing this, I hope you can share some pictures if you spot any differences. Looks like they're drop-in replacements for DIP28 / PLCC44 RAMDACs from that era.

If that Polish seller is who I think it is, they sell good parts. Actually new if it says it's new and the packaging is very sensible for sensitive / easily damaged chips.

The seller from Poland on eBay is tvsat_electronic. Attached is a photo of the Edsun CEG RAMDAC chip from their eBay listing. Notice the date code on the chip of 9037. Definitely from the 37th week of 1990 and exactly from the time period these chips were released.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    Filename
    s-l500.jpg
    File size
    28.11 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Edsun EL171CEG RAMDAC
    File license
Last edited by jasa1063 on 2023-06-07, 01:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 30, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep that's the one 😀 I bought some SiS chipset QFP chips from them and they were new with no solder on the legs and packaged properly. Your chips should be good too I suspect.

Should be interesting to see if it works and if it makes an appreciable difference. Since you're working with the DIP version rather than the PLCC44 version, the pinout should be the same as most RAMDACs in that package. I did notice a couple of CEG specific pins on the PLCC44 version though, which are n/c on regular RAMDACs.

Reply 6 of 30, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-06-07, 00:24:

Yep that's the one 😀 I bought some SiS chipset QFP chips from them and they were new with no solder on the legs and packaged properly. Your chips should be good too I suspect.

Should be interesting to see if it works and if it makes an appreciable difference. Since you're working with the DIP version rather than the PLCC44 version, the pinout should be the same as most RAMDACs in that package. I did notice a couple of CEG specific pins on the PLCC44 version though, which are n/c on regular RAMDACs.

At the very least it should act as a normal 8-bit color RAMDAC if it is truly a drop in replacement. To get the Anti Aliasing features, you need to include that logic in your graphics code. Too bad it is not automatic, but we are talking 1990 technology after all:)

Reply 7 of 30, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jasa1063 wrote on 2023-06-07, 01:21:

At the very least it should act as a normal 8-bit color RAMDAC if it is truly a drop in replacement. To get the Anti Aliasing features, you need to include that logic in your graphics code. Too bad it is not automatic, but we are talking 1990 technology after all:)

The ebay listings say they're ADV476 compatible which would only be 6-bit color (18-bit RGB).

Reply 8 of 30, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on 2023-06-07, 02:10:
jasa1063 wrote on 2023-06-07, 01:21:

The ebay listings say they're ADV476 compatible which would only be 6-bit color.

Thanks for the correction!

Reply 9 of 30, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The ADV7148 datasheet show more information on how those CEG RAMDACs work. Even provides code examples:

Attachments

• Filename
    ANDID013-6-49.pdf
    File size
    749.95 KiB
    Downloads
    53 downloads
    File comment
    ADV7148 datasheet
    File license
    Public domain

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 11 of 30, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was also able to source a ADV7146 CEG RAMDAC from tvsat_electronic in Poland. It should be interesting to see if this is much different the Edsun CEG EL171 RAMDAC.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    Filename
    s-l500.jpg
    File size
    25.19 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Analog Devices ADV7146 CEG RAMDAC
    File license
Last edited by jasa1063 on 2023-06-12, 00:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 30, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got the Edsun EL171 CEG RAMDACs today. I installed one and did some testing. Static images look fine, but when doing cycle cycling the picture has interference. I think the issue may be that the EL171 is running at 50MHz and the Samsung RAMDAC I took out runs at 80MHz. I have a ADV7146 coming and I hope that one will work out better.

Reply 14 of 30, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

50 vs 80MHz is maximum pixel clock rating, and pixel clock depends on currently selected resolution. 50MHz one tops out at 1024 x 768, the 80MHz one allows 1028 x 1024. When used at 320/640 x 200/400/480 this will not be a limiting factor at all.

I am curious to see photos of the effects of this stuff, some before and after type things if possible ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 15 of 30, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jasa1063 wrote on 2023-06-13, 03:29:

I got the Edsun EL171 CEG RAMDACs today. I installed one and did some testing. Static images look fine, but when doing cycle cycling the picture has interference. I think the issue may be that the EL171 is running at 50MHz and the Samsung RAMDAC I took out runs at 80MHz. I have a ADV7146 coming and I hope that one will work out better.

I spoke a little bit too soon. I tried the video card and Edsun RAMDAC in different computer and all is working normally. I think the issue is I am running bus timings a little too aggressive on the other computer for the video card too handle.

Reply 16 of 30, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is PV a DOS picture viewer that supports the Edsun CEG and .CEG files. I have not been able to locate any .CEG files but I am attaching the program in case anyone is interested. The PV.DOC file is in German, so I ran it through Google Translate and I have included the translated PV-EN.DOC file in the zip archive.

Attachments

• Filename
    PV234P.ZIP
    File size
    147.21 KiB
    Downloads
    39 downloads
    File comment
    PV DOS picture viewer
    File license

Reply 17 of 30, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was an SDK for the Edsun CEG RAMDAC. Analog Devices acquired Edsun Laboratories in 1991. I have been unable to locate it anywhere including using archive.org to search Analog Devices website as far back as 1997. Anyone know where a copy can be found?

Reply 18 of 30, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got and tested the EL171CEG chips today, and they work perfectly fine on my OTI-087X. Video output is a bit worse compared to the original MX86487PC, as black colors are now mostly grey. Very similar to what S3 Trio cards output.

Now time to have some fun programming this chip, I'll update with whatever I find of out.

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 19 of 30, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jasa1063 wrote on 2023-06-14, 02:07:

Here is PV a DOS picture viewer that supports the Edsun CEG and .CEG files. I have not been able to locate any .CEG files but I am attaching the program in case anyone is interested. The PV.DOC file is in German, so I ran it through Google Translate and I have included the translated PV-EN.DOC file in the zip archive.

That's cool, thank you! 😃

Back in the 90s, PV was my favorite Picture/MPEG/FLI player. Even used it on Windows 98SE! 🙂

I'm not sure if it's the same program I remember, can't test right now. 🤷‍♂️

Here's a backup of the latest versions I've found.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//