VOGONS

First post, by User5518

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Currently, I have (next to some other systems) a Pentium 166 MHz system with the following components:

• Acer V55 Socket 7 Board
  • 32MB RAM
  • Intel Pentium 166MHz MMX CPU (P55C) - 512KB Cache
  • ATI 3D Rage II + DVD 2MB Graphics card
  • SoundBlaster AWE 64 (modded to 2MB)

According to https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/acer-v55 the board only supports "P54"-CPUs up to 200Mhz, but since on my board a P55C-CPU is running, I assume, that the information on "theretroweb.com" is not "up-to-date". So I want to upgrade the CPU to 200MHz or if possible to a 233MHz . (I already ordered both CPUs, so I can test them.)

Since the ATI 3D Rage II + DVD 2MB Graphics card is quite slow, I want to replace it, too.

I have the following options:

• Gainward Dragon 4000 (Voodoo Banshee)
  • Diamond Monster Fusion (Voodoo Banshee)
  • Hercules Stringray 128/3D (Voodoo Rush)

They are all in the same price-Range (150-200 Euro), on one side, I want a time-period correct card, which would be (I guess) the Voodoo Rush. On the other side, I guess, the Banshee offers more value for the money, even it is not that time-period correct.

Now, my question is: What would you do?
And is there a difference in the Diamond Monster Fusion and the Gainward Dragon 4000?

Reply 2 of 12, by User5518

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good to know, thank you!

• Matrox Millennium MGA-2064W 2MB
  • Matrox Millennium MGA-2064W 4MB
  • Matrox Millennium MGA-MIL/4I 4MB
  • Matrox Millennium IS-STORM 4MB
  • Matrox Millennium MIL2P/4/CPQC 4MB

All in a price range from 20 to 50 Euro. Is there a specific model I should use with a Voodoo 1?

And of course there are some Voodoo 1 Card, which are in my price-range (100 - 150 Euro):

• ColorMaster Voodoo Mania 4 MB
  • Gainward ICUVGA-GW703 4MB
  • A-Trend Helios 3D 4MB
  • Miro Highscore 3D 6MB

Here, I'm also not sure, which one I should pick.

Edit:

ChatGTP recommends the
"Matrox Millennium MGA-MIL/4I 4MB" and the "Miro Highscore 3D 6MB"
or the
"Matrox Millennium MGA-MIL/4I 4MB" and the "ColorMaster Voodoo Mania 4 MB"
But I'm not able to evaluate this recommendation...

Reply 3 of 12, by mtest001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a similar configuration and went for the Gainward Dragon 4000. It has excellent 3D performance in Quake at 1024x768. Maybe not the most period correct, but still very close.

I am super happy with my setup.

/me love my P200MMX@225 Mhz + Voodoo Banshee + SB Live! + Sound Canvas SC-55ST = unlimited joy !

Reply 4 of 12, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Matrox Millenium + Voodoo1 is definitely about as period correct as it gets. I remember having that exact setup back when we had our Pentium 166 in 1997.

That said, a Voodoo Banshee isn't a bad choice either and has good DOS compatibility for 2D games. And it will have better 3D performance compared to the Voodoo1.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5 of 12, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unless you like pain, do NOT get a Voodoo Rush. 😀

As others have said, the Matrox/Voodoo combo is really nice as the Matrox card will have excellent 2D image quality and good Windows performance, and most 3D accelerated games at the time would have supported the Voodoo. But if you're also hoping to play older DOS games, the Matrox card isn't going play nice with some of them. S3 cards are usually considered a better choice for that.

Reply 8 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd go with the V1. Brand doesn't really matter. having more then 4MB can cause issues so would pick either of the 4MB cards.
You get the best compatibility and games that run a P200 aren't going to benefit much from the banshee's extra speed.

2D card Matrox for quality or S3 for compatibility, personally I prefer compatibility but check the list below, maybe the Matrox is fine for all your games.
https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

Either Banshee is also a good choice and a bit less common.
It's a fast compatible card in dos and performs between a V1 and V2
For the Glide side of things, I know I76 only works correctly on Voodoo 1 and this post lists dos games, Basically if it doesn't work on a V2 it won't on a Banshee
Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

Reply 10 of 12, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want good DOS compatibility alongside the Voodoo 1 then you could do far worse than pairing it with an S3 Trio64 or Virge.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 11 of 12, by User5518

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, I think I will buy the Diamond Monster 3D for sure. I already have a S3 Virge GX (2MB) in another system. So I will combine the Voodoo 1 with the Matrox MGA-MIL/41 (4MB) and if I run into issues with some games, I will use the the S3 Virge GX.

Edit:

PCGAMES-JUNE-1997.jpg
Filename
PCGAMES-JUNE-1997.jpg
File size
168.54 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Looks like the Diamond Monster 3D was the way to go, back in 1997.