VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sgalland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I searched the forums and was unable to find anything that would help me with this. I have a Sound Blaster 16 Waveffects board that is seemingly unable to playback any MIDI. My system can play back wav files just fine. My Sound Blaster variables are A240 I10 D0 H6 P300 T6.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 13, by sgalland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

To my understanding the drivers for DOS are the same for Windows since it targets Windows and installs files in that directory. Also I tried changing the MIDI setup in Windows 3.1 and still it fails to work properly. I tried like 4 different MIDI synthesisers and none seem to work.

Reply 4 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The specific problem I am thinking of was something I solved way back when I wanted to play Epic's "Dare to Dream". Included with the game is a picture of this MIDI Mapper setup:
66njifs.jpg
as well as the file sbsetup.txt which I have attached.

Perhaps this information is of use?

Attachments

• Filename
    SBSETUP.TXT
    File size
    5.7 KiB
    Downloads
    557 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has this board been known to work properly in other systems?

Also, have you checked the volume control for the MIDI channel in the mixer settings (just to be sure) ?

Reply 9 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hold on a moment...

The only synth onboard a SB16 WavEffects card is the integrated FM synth (compatible with Adlib/OPL3). So you won't get General MIDI under DOS, unless you've got an external synth.

Under Windows, General MIDI is provided by a software synth (probably the same one that adds 32 voices on the AWE64 cards). Creative doesn't seem to provide the software synth with the standard drivers from their website, so you'll have to install it from the driver CD that originally came with the card.

Reply 11 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As a last resort you might try WinGroove, a software synth, but it has pretty hefty system requirements. It's also shareware.
http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~hiroki/english/

Reply 13 of 13, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had been using a Yamaha Audician 32 Plus, which works in a pinch, but has really nasty audio artifacts on playback. I managed to score a relatively inexpensive SB16 Wave Effects (CT4520) card, but I'm having the above issues. Actually, in Wolf3d, I'm getting no sound playback whatsoever with other games like Little Big Adventure or the Interplay Lord of the Rings working fine (both have Redbook Audio music tracks as an option and digital sound effects; but there is NO MIDI from either of them).

Though it would probably devour conventional memory, is it possible to use the Audician to handle MIDI playback and route it through the line in of the SB16? Barring that, are there any other inexpensive hardware solutions to this issue?