VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have issues with X-Wing.
My hardware: 440BX Iwill MB, 2x128 MB RAM, PIII 450, Voodoo 5500, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2) with DB60XG daughterboard.

I try to get it working under Windows 98 SE in pure DOS. These are the configuration files:
CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 4096 RAM
DEVICE=C:\CDPRO\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=40
BUFFERS=40
LASTDRIVE=Z

AUTOEXEC.BAT

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
SET BLASTER=A240 I10 D3 T4
LH AU30DOS.COM
MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /V
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS

The problem is, i get the message:
Can't find X-Wing CD
Odd, because few seconds ago I installed the game from this drive. I also tried a different driver (oakcdrom.sys) but without success.

I also can't get the game working with the daugtherboard in Windows. It works well with midi files, it works also well in pure DOS, but if I select in the MX300 configuration that I want the Daughterboard sound for games in Windows DOS box, the game will freeze if it tries to play music, freezing my Windows. It happens when I select to play the test sound or launch the game. (if I select in MX300 configuration the onboard wavetable - everything works well). Unfortunately I don't have any other daughterboard to test this issue.

I would be thankfull for a solution or hint for both issues.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 1 of 11, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I solved the DOS problem part. There was a problem with the CD-ROM driver. I checked the CD-ROM manufacturer and it was a Hitachi CDR-8235 and downloaded their driver:
http://www.hitachi.us/Apps/hitachicom/content … upport/Drivers/
I copied all the settings the driver added to autoexec.bat and config.sys to my custom .pif MS-DOS launcher and the message about the missing CD is gone.

I still don't know what to do with Windows freezing when trying to use the daughterboard for midi playback in X-Wing.

Reply 2 of 11, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote:

I still don't know what to do with Windows freezing when trying to use the daughterboard for midi playback in X-Wing.

I tested that and have the same problem with my Vortex2 board. Happens with either the Roland or Yamaha daughterboard. It must be just one of the incompatibilities.

Reply 4 of 11, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using the latest reference drivers, unless something new came out in the last couple years. 😳 I don't have the version handy.

Under pure DOS, my PC also freezes requiring a reboot, so it's not just Windows.

Like I said in the other thread, I play it under DOSBox, so I don't care much. And for that matter, I really don't play it anymore! If you are wanting a more DOS oriented machine vs later Win9x machine, you may just want to stick with a SB16. Research the correct one without the 'hanging note' DSP issue.

Reply 5 of 11, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GL1zdA:

My Turtle beach montego II (a vortex 2 card) also has problems with Tie-Fighter (Collectors CD-ROM) Midi music in a Windows 9X dosbox. It was as if not all midi data was getting through to the daughterboard. what works for me is installing and loading up the VDMsound driver for windows9X prior to loading Tie Fighter. (VDMsound configured to do only midi emulation, and set to use the Vortex 2 daughterboard midi device) Then it sounds properly, so maybe that also helps in case of X-wing.

PS: I use reference driver V4.06.2046 for the vortex-2, and only have this problem with the Tie-Fighter music (Imuse).

Reply 6 of 11, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I downloaded the VDMSound package for Win9x, but I don't know how to configure VDMSound to only do MIDI emulation. I guess I don't have to install all dlls in install.bat and delete SET BLASTER in dosdrv.bat and probably change something in vdms.ini... Could you tell me how to do it?

Reply 7 of 11, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I see my VDMsound folder is very small, so I can attach it in its entirety.

GB 15-1-2008 This is vdm-sound 2.04 with windows 9X loaders. Setup only to grab MPU-401 MIDI music, which is then played by the […]
Show full quote

GB 15-1-2008
This is vdm-sound 2.04 with windows 9X loaders.
Setup only to grab MPU-401 MIDI music, which is then played
by the windows midi mapper default synth.
VDMConfig.dll is from version 2.10 which seems to remove
the annoying tip-of-the-day system.

PS. adlib emulation seemed very-very slow.

place in C:\dosapp\VDMSound
add these two lines to your c:\config.sys file
SET PATH=C:\DOSAPP\VDMSOUND
SET VDMSPATH=C:\DOSAPP\VDMSOUND

Example xwing.bat in xwing folder:

call vdms.bat
xwing.exe
vdmsboom

...that's post no. 100: No Newbie anymore!

Attachments

• Filename
    VDMSound.zip
    File size
    138.86 KiB
    Downloads
    576 downloads
    File comment
    vdmsound windows9x MIDI only
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 11, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got XWing working with my Aureal SQ2500 (Vortex2) board under straight DOS, with my Roland wavetable DB without freezing.

I was having a similar problem with Tristan pinball. It turns out some of these older games don't like the Aureal "defaults" of IRQ5 and DMA3. I don't think it'll work in Windows, but in pure DOS, if you change the AU30DOS.INI file to use IRQ7 and DMA1 it works fine. I just use a different .INI file for DOS.

You need a few things.

AU30DOS.COM and AU30DOS.INI in the same directory (XYZ for example) reachable by DOS.
In your autoexec.bat, "SET WINBOOTDIR=C:\XYZ"
VORTMIX.EXE to set the DOS volume, if desired. You can find that in this thread:
Re: How do I use an external wavetable within dos applications/games?

Here is the AU30DOS.INI file that works for me. Only a couple variables change from the default.

[AU30DOS.COM]
MPU401External=0
ModemBase=0x000
ModemIRQ=0x0
JoystickBase=0x201
MPU401Base=0x330
SBFMBase=0x220
FMBase=0x388
SBFMDMA=0x1
SBFMDMA2=0x1
SBFMIRQ=0x7
PCIIRQ=0xA
CPUSpeed=0x3E9
Reserved2=0x00
Reserved1=0x00
mixer_master=0x00
mixer_phone=0x00
mixer_mic=0x00
mixer_line=0x00
mixer_cd=0x00
mixer_aux=0x00
Reserved4=0x00
Reserved3=0x00
Reserved2=0x00
Reserved1=0x00
string_prod=Vortex PCI Multifunction Platform
string_ven1=Aureal Semiconductor
string_ven2=(c)1997 Aureal Semiconductor, Inc. Fremont, CA
string_err1=Error: Run Windows 95 to set configuration
string_err2=Error: Could not find a PCI BIOS
string_err3=Error: Could not locate Vortex device
string_err4=Error: Could not enable Vortex system
string_err5=Error: An unexpected error has occurred
string_msg1=Sound Blaster support is enabled at port
string_msg2=Sound Blaster support is disabled
string_msg3=Joystick enabled at port
string_msg4=Joystick support is disabled
string_msg5=MPU401 MIDI system enabled at port
string_msg6=MPU401 MIDI system is disabled
string_msg7=Modem enabled at port
string_msg8=Modem is disabled

Reply 9 of 11, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, my problem is, it freezes under Windows. In DOS mode there are no problems with the default setup. I tried to change the settings, but without any success - setmuse (the sound setup utility) either freezes Windows or plays nothing. (If I choose a SB as SFX and misconfigure the port setting, or choose a soundcard I don't have (ex. Soundscape) and then try to test the music setting (correctly setting the MPU-401 address) it simply does nothing (looks like it runs the test music for 0.5 second and returns, but there is no sound). But if the port setting for SFX is right or I choose 'None' as SFX Windows hangs after trying to play the test music. I tried to disable the emulated SB, but it still hangs, even if the SFX is set to 'None' and music to GM.

I also tried the Yamaha Software Synthesizer, set it as the Windows dosbox midi output, but the giant amount of stuck notes disqualifies it (at least for X-Wing CD) (I have only tried the version that came with FF7, maybe the newer work better).

Because I didn't have much time recently, I still haven't tried the VDMSound which I hope will solve the problem.

Reply 11 of 11, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SBPro Emulating device has defaults: Port 220h, IRQ 5, DMA 1 and 3 (don't know why 2 DMAs?). Port can be set to 220h, 240h and custom. IRQ can be either 5 or 7. DMA can be 1 and 3, 1, 3 or none. I tried the defaults, the standard 7/1/220h, 5/1,3/220h, 5/1,3/240h, 5/3/220h, 5/3/240h, 5/None/220h, 5/None/240h. The effects are always the same - it hangs. As I said - it even hangs when I disable the SBPro Emulating device.