Rank

Hi.

Just started experimenting with my "dream dos-machine"... Here are the specs:

P200MMMX
32MB ram
4Gb flash ide hd
SB16 Value
Diamond Stealth 1MB Dram
3com nic (fot transferring files between dos-machine and pc)
Roland CM-500, in A-mode (CM-32L etc) (hooked up to SB16 with a midi/joystick y-cable)
DOS 6.22

I tried LL3 and the intro music sounds like a bunch of loonies playing some real wacky stuff. Wrong instruments/notes. I know the module should be able to play the music right, but something's clearly wrong. For example music plays fine in 4D sports boxing with the MT-32 option, but occasionally I hear a piano note?! when I hit the other boxer...

Is this a known problem? What have I misconfigured? Could it be the cable? I cannot test with a "non-y-cable") at the moment.

Reply 1 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi!

Go into the BIOS and disable L1 and L2 cache.

Then try again please. It will slow down the computer and this might fix the issue.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 22, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Roland CM-500, in A-mode (CM-32L etc) (hooked up to SB16 with a midi/joystick y-cable)

The correct CM-500 mode for MT-32 games is Mode B, not A (page 9/10). Mode A has GS and LA sound sources listening on the same channels.

Sierra's SCI0 version of MT32.DRV, instead of filtering out AdLib song data, plays it on MIDI channels 11-16. The MT-32 ignores data on those channels, but the CM-64, whose CM-32P sound source listens on channels 11-16, would play them as music data, which is why MT32.DRV sends a CM-32P system exclusive message to disable these channels. The CM-500 in Mode B mimics the CM-64, with the GS sound source emulating the CM-32P sound source on channels 11-16. Since the GS sound source does not recognize the CM-32P system exclusive message, the channels remain enabled despite MT32.DRV's attempt to disable them. Instead, a GS system exclusive message must be sent in its place.

Solution: Disable the GS sound source by running "mttool sendsyx onlyla.syx" from the attached .zip archive file before running any game with MT-32 sound. This will disable channels 11-16 and is compatible both with a real CM-64, and CM-500 modes A and B.

I am surprised however that LSL3 works with the Sound Blaster's MPU-401 interface.

Attachments

• Filename
    onlyla.zip
    File size
    1.42 KiB
    Downloads
    157 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 22, by emuola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Hi!

Go into the BIOS and disable L1 and L2 cache.

Then try again please. It will slow down the computer and this might fix the issue.

Thanks, it actually made the LL2 tune sound very good/correct. Only a few extra sounds and those are there because of my "A-mode" instead of "B-mode".

Your post made me think of underclocking/cache disabling in general. It seems I can basically make my P200MMX into a 386DX@40Mhz just by disabling the caches. That's awesome 😀

NewRisingSun wrote:
The correct CM-500 mode for MT-32 games is Mode B, not A (page 9/10). Mode A has GS and LA sound sources listening on the same c […]
Show full quote

The correct CM-500 mode for MT-32 games is Mode B, not A (page 9/10). Mode A has GS and LA sound sources listening on the same channels.

Sierra's SCI0 version of MT32.DRV, instead of filtering out AdLib song data, plays it on MIDI channels 11-16. The MT-32 ignores data on those channels, but the CM-64, whose CM-32P sound source listens on channels 11-16, would play them as music data, which is why MT32.DRV sends a CM-32P system exclusive message to disable these channels. The CM-500 in Mode B mimics the CM-64, with the GS sound source emulating the CM-32P sound source on channels 11-16. Since the GS sound source does not recognize the CM-32P system exclusive message, the channels remain enabled despite MT32.DRV's attempt to disable them. Instead, a GS system exclusive message must be sent in its place.

Solution: Disable the GS sound source by running "mttool sendsyx onlyla.syx" from the attached .zip archive file before running any game with MT-32 sound. This will disable channels 11-16 and is compatible both with a real CM-64, and CM-500 modes A and B.

I am surprised however that LSL3 works with the Sound Blaster's MPU-401 interface.

[/quote]

Thanks, it sounds very good, when the CM-500 is set to B-mode/after I run the sysex "patch". if the SB16 MPU-401 should not be good, what should I use?

Thanks again guys, I'm pretty close to my dream dos-machine 😁

Reply 4 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup with L1 and L2 cache disabled you basically have a fast 386DX 😀

Many Sierra adventures have timing bugs, so I always play them this way.

My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 22, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if the SB16 MPU-401 should not be good, what should I use?

If it works with LSL2 and LSL3, continue to use it. I just was under the impression that those games required a true MPU-401.

Reply 6 of 22, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I don't think LSL2 and LSL3 require intelligent MIDI mode.

But I'm not sure how it will sound on a SB16's MIDI interface when it comes to the wave sounds at the beach in LSL3. (The beginning part where the topless babe is lying down....dang... forgot her name!)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 7 of 22, by emuola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, thanks guys for the info 😀 If/when I'd like to have a real dream dos-machine, what kind of midi-interface should I get? I foolishly thought that the MPU-401 emulation of Sb16 would cover all my dos gaming needs. I noticed there's a internal version called MPU-401AT, but it seems that there weren't any available at least in Ebay.

Reply 8 of 22, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Yes, I don't think LSL2 and LSL3 require intelligent MIDI mode.

The driver that came with the original games certainly does.

Malik wrote:

SB16's MIDI interface when it comes to the wave sounds at the beach in LSL3

What wave sounds? LSL3 has no PCM sound effects.

emuola wrote:

I foolishly thought that the MPU-401 emulation of Sb16 would cover all my dos gaming needs.

Try Wing Commander and Simon the Sorcerer with the Roland MT-32 selection. If they work, you have a hitherto unknown Sound Blaster 16 that does support intelligent mode, and you can keep it for your DOS gaming needs. If they don't, you merely have a patched MT32.DRV for LSL2/LSL3.

Reply 9 of 22, by emuola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try Wing Commander and Simon the Sorcerer with the Roland MT-32 selection. If they work, you have a hitherto unknown Sound Blaster 16 that does support intelligent mode, and you can keep it for your DOS gaming needs. If they don't, you merely have a patched MT32.DRV for LSL2/LSL3.

Ok, will try that 😀 But as you implied, I probably should get me a real mpu-unit. I noticed there are several different models... Any particular model I should get/avoid? I really got interested in the internal MPU-401AT, but they seem to be pretty rare. If someone has one for sale, I'm interested 😉

Reply 10 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a forum member here who just got 3 MPU401ATs 😀

Also look out for the SCC-1. It's an ISA based Sound Canvas with MPU401 interface.

My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 22, by emuola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is a forum member here who just got 3 MPU401ATs 😀

Also look out for the SCC-1. It's an ISA based Sound Canvas with MPU401 interface.

Thanks for the info 😀 About the SCC-1... What would be the advantage of getting that baby, when I already have CM-500? Having real GM? I'm a real newbie regarding these Roland vintage gadgets, so please bare with me 😢

Reply 12 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No advantage really.

But I mention it because it could be easier to find and/or cheaper than a MPU401AT.

Just another option 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 22, by emuola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No advantage really.

But I mention it because it could be easier to find and/or cheaper than a MPU401AT.

Just another option

Thanks for the info 😀 btw, I sent you a PM.

Reply 14 of 22, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NewRisingSun wrote:

What wave sounds? LSL3 has no PCM sound effects.

Ermnm... I meant the wave sounds of the beach...at the polluted lagoon screen which appears only with MT-32.

I think it's the same sound or something like that as the desert wind sound in King's Quest V, which is present while using the MT-32.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 15 of 22, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emuola wrote:

thought that the MPU-401 emulation of Sb16 would cover all my dos gaming needs

You can use SoftMPU with your SB16 to provide full intelligent-mode MPU401 functionality under DOS.

http://bjt42.github.io/softmpu

Reply 16 of 22, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I meant the wave sounds of the beach...at the polluted lagoon screen which appears only with MT-32.

And why would the kind of MIDI interface used to connect the CM-500 make any difference for those?

Reply 17 of 22, by emuola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjt wrote:
emuola wrote:

thought that the MPU-401 emulation of Sb16 would cover all my dos gaming needs

You can use SoftMPU with your SB16 to provide full intelligent-mode MPU401 functionality under DOS.

http://bjt42.github.io/softmpu

I just tested softmpu and it works great 😁 This project is totally awesome considering the very high prices asked for MPU401AT etc. 😀

Just plain awesome 😀 I have a CT2770 (SB16 Value), will do some testing and report to softmpu authors 😀

Reply 18 of 22, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would consider that cheating. I thought the whole point of building a "DOS machine" was to play DOS games on original hardware, unmodified, without emulators or utilities made years later. If it's all about getting games to work, you might as well use DosBox.

Reply 19 of 22, by emuola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NewRisingSun wrote:

I would consider that cheating. I thought the whole point of building a "DOS machine" was to play DOS games on original hardware, unmodified, without emulators or utilities made years later. If it's all about getting games to work, you might as well use DosBox.

Yes, I agree. But the problem is, it seems pretty much impossible to get the MPU-401 -part of the hw. Been googling/posting all the retro-related forums I'm registered in for the past two days. Yeah, it's not been long, but considering the stuff that's usually available (pretty much everything), the availability of the MPU-401 -stuff is really, really limited. I'll get one piece of real hw asap, but for now I just happy I can get the CM-500 and my 95%-real-hw-dos-machine working nice together.