VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to get a Thinkpad X20 together for some early windows/late DOS games, and I've run into a snag with getting some Sierra games to work the way I want.

The X20 has a Crystal Semiconductor CS4281 sound chip, which works in DOS, but gives TERRIBLE OPL emulation with chirpy tinny percussion notes, but the WSS (Port 388) FM Wavetable is very nice.

If I start Windows 98 with the VXD Drivers (from the Lenovo website), I get SB DAC working fine in DOS.
If I then change the drivers over to the WDM Win98SE drivers, I KEEP the SB audio, and Windows will enable the FM Wavetable stuff on MIDI, resulting in wonderful music.

Is there any way to get this effect without swapping and re-swapping drivers after each restart?

Here's the datasheet on the chip, if it helps:
http://ecee.colorado.edu/~siewerts/ecen/hardw … ecoder_Spec.pdf

Reply 1 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 9x is not supported by DOSBox. In addition this forum is for DOS games, not DOSBox. DOSBox questions should be posted in DOSBox forum.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should be able to use Hal9000's Megabuild for OPL passthrough capability in Windows 98. PIII 600MHz should be enough for many games out there, but definitely not for the 'late' ones through emulation.

collector wrote:

In addition this forum is for DOS games, not DOSBox.

Actually he's trying to use a retro laptop for both native gameplay and emulation, and the specs are rather nice for this purpose (in theory)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He did have DOSBox in his title, but if he is trying to get old hardware working and non game specific it should be in Marvin.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the Thinkpad website, are there drivers for DOS as well? I mean proper DOS, not for Windows.

Because running a DOS game from within Windows is not the best way of doing things 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool. And these DOS drivers, did you play around with them in MS-DOS mode as well? Are there INI or other configuration files that might have options?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel