VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by stege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have tried several other packet drivers (8139 and older) but without success. Can ping the outside world but there's not really much else I can do (telnet, ftp, etc) without a functional packet driver.
Any suggestions? Have found nothing on the webs on the 8168 (HP ThinClient T420)

Thanks.

44.jpeg
Filename
44.jpeg
File size
127.58 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
55.jpeg
Filename
55.jpeg
File size
121.59 KiB
Views
File license
33.jpeg
Filename
33.jpeg
File size
102.14 KiB
Views
File license
22.jpeg
Filename
22.jpeg
File size
115.59 KiB
Views
File license

Miss the Monkey Island days, the Space Quest days, even The Longest Journey days.

Reply 1 of 6, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something from here could help..
Dos / Dosbox / Dos VMs ethernet / filesharing /network Dos to Win98-Win10 -WIP, help needed especially from Win admins..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 3 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vladimiro wrote on 2021-08-16, 01:19:

looks good by the readme.txt

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 6, by mike_canada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stege wrote on 2021-08-14, 06:21:

Have tried several other packet drivers (8139 and older) but without success. Can ping the outside world but there's not really much else I can do (telnet, ftp, etc) without a functional packet driver.
Any suggestions? Have found nothing on the webs on the 8168 (HP ThinClient T420)

If pinging the world gives you success then your software probably just does not want to work. Luckily a guy who also visits here created a whole collection of internet tools (which include an FTP and WEB server) that work with DOS. He mentioned he tested his software on very old machines so his software might work for your needs. All you really need to use his software is your packet driver installed (which you did already), and setup a configuration as per mTCP's standards.

He has the software, source code, and documentation all for free. Go to:

https://www.brutman.com/mTCP/

Reply 5 of 6, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's difficult to make a packet driver appear out of thin air for hardware that doesn't have one. But you might be able to make it work by using a "shim" driver.

A shim driver allows you to use an NDIS or ODI driver as a packet driver. You install the NDIS or ODI driver, and then the shim driver. The shim driver translates the NDIS or ODI driver calls, giving the appearance of a native packet driver for your hardware.

See this page for some packet driver shims: http://www.shikadi.net/network/ .

Mike

Reply 6 of 6, by stege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you gentlemen.
I'm already using the mTCP, brilliant piece of code. The packet driver @Vladimiro and @Caluser2000 suggested only appears to work, giving a nice status message when launched but nothing works afterwords (net wise), not even ping.

I'll try mr mbbrutman's approach and give it a go.
I'll report back asap.

Thank you again!

Miss the Monkey Island days, the Space Quest days, even The Longest Journey days.