VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was trying subj out on a reasonably powerful PC with MPU-401/SBPro configuration in real DOS and Windows 98SE (i.e. not via DosBOX). The immediate result I got was game seemingly hanging after DOS4GW banner.

However this was not the first Star Wars game I was having similar issues. The other one was Dark Forces (also GoG) and for that a utility existed called DFORCEDH .EXE (or DeHacker) that among other things fixed the General MIDI infinite loop in IMUSE.EXE. Now Tie Fighter CD and Dark Forces use different versions of IMUSE, so using a patched version or patching with DFORCEDH was out of question. Still I was arrogant enough to just do a diff of original Dark Forces IMUSE.EXE and the version patched with DFORCEDH and apply the same to Tie's IMUSE.EXE.

The outcome was both IMUSE.EXE and the game working in DOS with General MIDI music! In Windows, I am getting a Stack Overflow error unfortunatelly. In case some0ne else if experiencing a similar issue out there, here's what I have changed:

Comparing files ~IMUSE.EXE and  IMUSE.EXE
0004A93E: 04 07

The game still feels somewhat flaky on my machine, as mouse cursor freezes from time to time outside of missions (game still runs, and keyboard works) and SVGA mode shows artifacts. I am yet to try it with a real PS/2 mouse to see if atleast mouse issues go away...

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)

Reply 1 of 3, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ludicrous_peridot wrote on 2021-08-16, 20:21:

In Windows, I am getting a Stack Overflow error unfortunatelly.

I vaguely remember this was related to PATH environment variable being very long in my case.

Reply 2 of 3, by deleted_acc1

User metadata

However this was not the first Star Wars game I was having similar issues. The other one was Dark Forces (also GoG) and for that a utility existed called DFORCEDH .EXE (or DeHacker) that among other things fixed the General MIDI infinite loop in IMUSE.EXE. Now Tie Fighter CD and Dark Forces use different versions of IMUSE, so using a patched version or patching with DFORCEDH was out of question. Still I was arrogant enough to just do a diff of original Dark Forces IMUSE.EXE and the version patched with DFORCEDH and apply the same to Tie's IMUSE.EXE.

Hi, according to the author of Dark Forces Dehacker, it's not enough that this program fixes. He wrote a separate patch to fix this problem.
Here is a new program:
https://ctpax-cheater.losthost.org/htmldocs/t … le.htm#imusefix

Reply 3 of 3, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Angel Of Nemesis wrote on 2022-05-18, 06:01:
Hi, according to the author of Dark Forces Dehacker, it's not enough that this program fixes. He wrote a separate patch to fix t […]
Show full quote

Hi, according to the author of Dark Forces Dehacker, it's not enough that this program fixes. He wrote a separate patch to fix this problem.
Here is a new program:
https://ctpax-cheater.losthost.org/htmldocs/t … le.htm#imusefix

Wow, thanks! Will be checking that out.

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)