First post, by ludicrous_peridot
Was trying subj out on a reasonably powerful PC with MPU-401/SBPro configuration in real DOS and Windows 98SE (i.e. not via DosBOX). The immediate result I got was game seemingly hanging after DOS4GW banner.
However this was not the first Star Wars game I was having similar issues. The other one was Dark Forces (also GoG) and for that a utility existed called DFORCEDH .EXE (or DeHacker) that among other things fixed the General MIDI infinite loop in IMUSE.EXE. Now Tie Fighter CD and Dark Forces use different versions of IMUSE, so using a patched version or patching with DFORCEDH was out of question. Still I was arrogant enough to just do a diff of original Dark Forces IMUSE.EXE and the version patched with DFORCEDH and apply the same to Tie's IMUSE.EXE.
The outcome was both IMUSE.EXE and the game working in DOS with General MIDI music! In Windows, I am getting a Stack Overflow error unfortunatelly. In case some0ne else if experiencing a similar issue out there, here's what I have changed:
Comparing files ~IMUSE.EXE and IMUSE.EXE
0004A93E: 04 07
The game still feels somewhat flaky on my machine, as mouse cursor freezes from time to time outside of missions (game still runs, and keyboard works) and SVGA mode shows artifacts. I am yet to try it with a real PS/2 mouse to see if atleast mouse issues go away...
GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7/rev2.0 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8Gb DDR3 1033
Radeon RX570 8Gb - Yamaha YMF744B-R PCI - X3MB Buran MPU-401
WDC 80Gb IDE ~ Win 98 SE - TOSHIBA 3Tb SATA ~ Win 10 Pro 64bit - Pioneer SATA BD-ROM/DVD+RW