VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by acadiel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just built a retro 486DX2 system, 16MB RAM, 2GB HDD. Installed DOS 6.22, and WFW 3.11.

• BIOS is pretty standard AMI 486 BIOS. No real mods made.
  • Installed Etherlink III and configured to IRQ11, 0x210 with the 6.1 utilities. Automatically configured, passes all tests.
  • Installed SB Vibra16 PnP. Used CMTU to set to A220 I5 D0 H1 P300 T6. Config.sys used CTCM.EXE, and Autoexec used Diagnose, MixerSet, and CTCU.
  • Cutemouse and OAKCDROM/MSCDEX only other additions in config.sys and autoexec.bat.

Windows 3.11 has the Etherlink III driver installed in Network Setup.

Here's my issue:

When I launch the 3C5X9PD packet driver with "LH C:\NET\3C5X9PD 0x60 11 0x210", it works fine. I can even launch Windows. However, when I exit Windows, it hangs. No DOS prompt. I can REM out the packet driver and go in and out of Windows to my heart's content.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I've never done networking in DOS before - my first system was a Win95 after I moved from my Amiga 😀

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows has its own protected mode driver for the card with will reset it to a state that the DOS driver doesn't understand. They cannot coexist. You either have to deal with a reboot with exiting windows or find a way to manually unload the packet driver before you start windows

Reply 2 of 7, by acadiel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does 3.1 have a way to run a batch file when it exits? I could load it there. Or need to find out how to maybe create a boot menu. I wasn’t aware they couldn’t coexist - I remember my university in the 90s mapping drives and such in batch files before Windows loaded, so I assumed that DOS and Windows packet drivers would coexist since they were mapping token ring resources before Windows started. 😀

Reply 3 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, you must write the batch file manually. Like this:

@ECHO OFF
C:\NET\3C5X9PD -u 0x60
WIN
LH C:\NET\3C5X9PD 0x60 11 0x210

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 7, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
acadiel wrote on 2022-05-13, 14:59:

Does 3.1 have a way to run a batch file when it exits? I could load it there. Or need to find out how to maybe create a boot menu. I wasn’t aware they couldn’t coexist - I remember my university in the 90s mapping drives and such in batch files before Windows loaded, so I assumed that DOS and Windows packet drivers would coexist since they were mapping token ring resources before Windows started. 😀

it's possible to load the MS networking stack in DOS before loading windows - but a plain packet driver is different

Reply 5 of 7, by acadiel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-05-13, 15:30:
No, you must write the batch file manually. Like this: […]
Show full quote

No, you must write the batch file manually. Like this:

@ECHO OFF
C:\NET\3C5X9PD -u 0x60
WIN
LH C:\NET\3C5X9PD 0x60 11 0x210

I'll give that a try - thanks!

Reply 6 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
acadiel wrote on 2022-05-13, 14:59:

It's possible to have multiple network software running.
Network drives and devices (COMx, AUX, LPTx, PRN etc) available to DOS will also be accessible from Windows.

So you can have something like Little Big LAN running in the background and still use an TCP/IP or IPX/SPX stack at the same time.

It's even possible to link drives/devices of different networks by having one PC running that acts like a bridge.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 7, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-06-08, 20:18:

It's possible to have multiple network software running.
Network drives and devices (COMx, AUX, LPTx, PRN etc) available to DOS will also be accessible from Windows.

So you can have something like Little Big LAN running in the background and still use an TCP/IP or IPX/SPX stack at the same time.

I see that the packet driver standard allows multiple protocols to use the driver at once:

http://cc.etsii.ull.es/ftp/antiguo/REDES2/doc/packet.txt wrote:
5 Link-layer demultiplexing […]
Show full quote

5 Link-layer demultiplexing

If a network media standard is to support simultaneous use by different
transport protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, XNS, OSI), it must define some link-level
mechanism which allows a host to decide which protocol a packet is intended
for. In DIX Ethernet, this is the 16-bit "ethertype" field ...

but I gather that they need to be different protocols, i.e. you couldn't use two different TCP/IP stacks at once?

https://github.com/dosemu2/dosemu2/issues/1479 says that there are no NDIS to packet driver shims, though, so you can't use Microsoft's SMB networking on top of a packet driver, although someone appears to have written such a shim and attached it to that issue with little in the way of test results.

https://kb.iu.edu/d/acbt explains that the Novell ODI layer is designed to allow multiple users of the device so you can get both IPX and a packet driver, for example. https://www.shikadi.net/network/#shimNDIS seems to have a shim that will map from NDIS to ODI so you could presumably use Microsoft SMB networking on top of that, but if you don't actually want IPX then it seems like a waste of memory.

Does NDIS also support multiple protocols like this?