VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a number of floppy dumps from PC booters that are formatted as raw track/sector files. I would like to convert them to IMA or IMG so I can boot them in my emulators. Does anybody know what software I would use to do that?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Filename
    Capture.PNG
    File size
    105.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like flux stream files. You'd need something like dtc.exe from the KryoFlux toolset, or the converter from the HxC Floppy Emulator software. The problem is that the converted images likely won't work for you, because most booter games use disk-based protection schemes that can't be reproduced by plain data dumps like IMG/IMA. Flux images are aimed at preserving the original format as closely as possible (protection included), not really for emulation.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 2 of 4, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileR wrote on 2023-06-09, 23:28:

Looks like flux stream files. You'd need something like dtc.exe from the KryoFlux toolset, or the converter from the HxC Floppy Emulator software. The problem is that the converted images likely won't work for you, because most booter games use disk-based protection schemes that can't be reproduced by plain data dumps like IMG/IMA. Flux images are aimed at preserving the original format as closely as possible (protection included), not really for emulation.

Thank you for helping me understand the format better.

I don't know very much about this topic, and I have a pretty one-track goal in mind, so forgive me. 86box supports quite a few image formats including flux (.fdi ?).

Would it be possible to convert the flux streams to one of these formats, and if so how would I go about doing that?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Filename
    Capture.PNG
    File size
    9.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 4, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/231835-a8ra … ersion-utility/

https://github.com/keirf/Disk-Utilities

I know nothing of these formats, so at face value those look useful.

A simple for loop in cmd would sort you out to bulk convert once you've tested which one works.

eg something like (untested):
for /f "tokens=2 delims=." %i in ('dir /b *.raw') do a8rawconv %i.%j %i.img

Which if I haven't screwed up the syntax does a directory listing of all the raw files and outputs %i as the filename and %j as the extension, which it then uses to convert all of them to an img file.

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 4 of 4, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had some success!

Using the HXCFloppyEmulator tool I can load the raw track files by just selecting the first track. I can then export it to a variety of different formats.

I loaded one disk that is not a booter (not sure if it had copy protection) and exported it as a .img. It loaded fine and I could read the contents in the emulator within DOS.

I loaded another one, exported it to .img, and nothing. Then I exported the same raw stream as MFM and that one booted up just fine!

I have third raw stream I can't get to load no matter what I try.

I am happy I am making progress... anything I can do to make the results more consistent?