VOGONS

Common searches

Win 95 + browser

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 41, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

as opposed to having several DOS machines. For instance the one you mentioned will run several games way too fast at 100mhz, while at the same time you can't play high resolution Vesa games without struggling.

Yup. Building legacy system should be focused towards late DOS games (hi-res, SVGA) and Win98 games. DOSBOX is always fine for DOS games that run at 320x200 resolution.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 21 of 41, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

i've been at a different Win95 machine, fresh, no addons, and attempted using various browsers:

K-Meleon - Very very memory leaks, crashes, freezes, completely unusable.
Firefox 1.x, 1.5.x - refuses to install, crashes
Firefox 2.x - Whines about needing updated OLEAUT32.dll (which ships with ie6), getting OLEAUT32.dll from google and placing in windows/system causes firefox to function properly
Opera 9 - refuses to install, demands isetup or so which ships with 'internet explorer 3.02' (machine has ie 3.0)
OffByOne - FAST FAST FAST WORKS FAST, no css and advanced features but fast and works
Lynx - FAST FAST FAST FAST FAST FAST, though getting a hold of 2.8.5 for win32 that's not an installer will be too difficult for a stranded win95 user since the one who packed it as an installer made it retardedly only install for Windows NT users.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 22 of 41, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

K-Meleon - Very very memory leaks, crashes, freezes, completely unusable.

Always worked fine for me (though I haven't tried it on Win9x). Were you using the latest version?

And older versions of Opera shouldn't be hard to find. For that matter, did you try downloading it with the "Classic installer" option? Plus I think you can download a separate the MSI update package for Windows 95.

Reply 23 of 41, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

Were you using the latest version?

Yes
It's not fun when you can't see any menu options or any text or open any pages only to have the browser completely freeze the computer.

Also for IRCing, IamC worked good albeit it is quite simple. Miranda IM is king for ICQ client. Continuum runs flawlessly. I can survive in 2007 with this thing if I wanted to.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 27 of 41, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
butterfly wrote:

I'm too lazy to try Arachne (DOS browser) under Windows 95 but I can't see why it shouldn't work.

But since Arachne wouldn't be using Winsock, you've have to do all that horrible messing around with DOS packet drivers, no?

Reply 29 of 41, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
butterfly wrote:

I'm not sure. If the computer or virtual machine is connected to the internet you needn't a DOS TCP/IP stacker.

OH RLY!!?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 32 of 41, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
butterfly wrote:
MiniMax wrote:
butterfly wrote:

I'm not sure. If the computer or virtual machine is connected to the internet you needn't a DOS TCP/IP stacker.

OH RLY!!?

No, I'm not sure

No. Already tried a DOS16 Lynx and no it doesn't magically detect and use your Winsock.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 33 of 41, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

Could try K-MeleonCCF: http://kmeleon.blogspot.com/

Given the infrequency of official K-Meleon updates, this rather intrigues me, but what exactly does it offer that makes it particularly superior to the official K-Meleon?

Reply 36 of 41, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IE5.5 seem to work quite fine here in Win95 OSR2 on my P100 machine
Installled newest firefox but it crashed when I tried to launch it so I guess it's missing that .DLL file mentioned in this thread

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 38 of 41, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

even if you give it the dll it wants it fails

really? bah

Well, what can you expect from this OS that Microsoft abandoned in 2001-2002? 😜

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327