VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's the best ForceWare version for Windows 98? (least graphic artifacts, best AA compatibility with old games, etc) And where to get it? I tried nVidia site, but it seems they don't keep old ForceWare versions.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 12, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't be of much help here (I've really only tried these things on XP); I do remember once reverting to one of the Release 80 drivers from some triple-digit version to fix some compatibility issues, but those were with somewhat more recent games (I think Medieval: Total War wasn't working, and there was something else that I've forgotten). I don't recall having any problems with that configuration, though; I didn't have to upgrade until I got my current video card.

Intel Q6600 (2.4 GHz) | 4GB RAM | GeForce 8800 GT | Windows 7 64-bit

Reply 3 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
batracio wrote:

D'oh!

Which one would you suggest, by the way, to play old games like Jane's F/A-18 and Total Air War with GF 6 or GF 5 series?

Dr. Riptide wrote:

I do remember once reverting to one of the Release 80 drivers from some triple-digit version to fix some compatibility issues, but those were with somewhat more recent games (I think Medieval: Total War wasn't working, and there was something else that I've forgotten).

What card did you use?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 4 of 12, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would suggest 29.42 for GeForce 1/2, 45.23 for GeForce 3/4 and 66.94 for GeForce FX/6.
Anyway, I don't recommend GeForce 6 series for old win9x games (no palette textures, you know).

Reply 5 of 12, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't remember the specific card I had then, but I'm pretty sure it was a GeForce 5 series.

Intel Q6600 (2.4 GHz) | 4GB RAM | GeForce 8800 GT | Windows 7 64-bit

Reply 8 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

If you are using a 440BX and a GFFX, the final member of the 5x.xx series is the way to go. Higher gives instability.

Actually it is not for the 440BX --that one will use Voodoo5 5500 instead. I'm actually thinking what I should do with my Soyo SY-845PE ISA; it seems putting a GeForce card is a good idea.

Reply 9 of 12, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

use the drivers provided with the card. i have learnt that newer drivers for windows 98 suck but newer drivers for WindowsXP actually work fine.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 10 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows XP drivers are begining to suck too, specially with the Geforce 8 series. The Geforce 6 worked out of the box for me playing old games under winxp, didn't test with windows 98 as at the time there were no drivers supporting win98 and Geforce 6 series.

Reply 12 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

maybe it's time to invest in a radeon instead then, it's not like they don't exist because they're not the hypy fastest.

Started a new thread here.