MiG Alley

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 83, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
goldmastersims wrote on 2021-07-14, 01:55:

I also installed INTEL.ttf. It's still stuck at 74%.

That's weird if that happens in a VM. Did the original CD without the edited pasted files have the issue in a VM? Try if you haven't, if it has a problem there it's an issue with your media. If it doesn't then check for wait chains in Task Manager of your main PC.

I have tested the game on 4 different PCs and VMs and they work everywhere so I can't find any other errors that has been documented.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 81 of 83, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kjliew wrote on 2021-07-13, 23:16:

Isn't this the future we should be heading towards? Completely hassle-free, just rip the CD, install and play. It's fun with virtualization! 😎

Maybe, unless Microsoft makes Windows 2K/XP free to use or re-releases them. Or bring in a XP mode to Win10/11.

D3D wrappers are at least not violation of MS TnC as much I understand. And when I started these virtualization/D3D emulation thing, I didn't have a good enough CPU to have a game running properly on VM with acceptable frame rate. The GPU, at least did hold up and could run dgVoodoo2 properly.

Your point is valid but it requires better hardware as do mine, continuing to future. Alternatively, if D3D wrapper developers optimise it as well as nGlide was optimised as time passes by, then wrappers could be easily more preferred for these. Its now only about user preference now

Reply 82 of 83, by goldmastersims

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2021-07-14, 04:54:

No I didn't have joystick when testing this game. But I tested USB GamePad pass-through for X-Wing 95 on QEMU KVM on Linux here. It is easier for USB pass-through on Linux with QEMU KVM. QEMU just needs to be built with libusb. I suppose the same should work on Windows 10 with QEMU built with libusb from MSYS2/mingw-w64 but I have not verified that myself.

Which VM did you use and get stuck?

I installed it directly on Windows like Discrete_BOB_58 did.

I'm going to do it in a VM.

Reply 83 of 83, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
goldmastersims wrote on 2021-07-15, 19:55:
kjliew wrote on 2021-07-14, 04:54:

No I didn't have joystick when testing this game. But I tested USB GamePad pass-through for X-Wing 95 on QEMU KVM on Linux here. It is easier for USB pass-through on Linux with QEMU KVM. QEMU just needs to be built with libusb. I suppose the same should work on Windows 10 with QEMU built with libusb from MSYS2/mingw-w64 but I have not verified that myself.

Which VM did you use and get stuck?

I installed it directly on Windows like Discrete_BOB_58 did.

I'm going to do it in a VM.

If VM doesn't work it should be a problem with your media. If it does work, it should be a wait chain on Windows. Windows modernity shouldn't crash installing of programs based on hardware and drivers.