VOGONS

Common searches

MiG Alley

Topic actions

Reply 61 of 114, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its odd as i never recall seeing this error come when i installed MIG ALLEY and this specific patch on windows 10. though if there is a 16bit installer involved then i should have hit up against this problem too.
are saying the patch runs but in the files for the patch there is thsi tt2 file

Reply 62 of 114, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

okay sorry, now i understand - the TT2.exe file is in the mig alley directory - does this error come up when running ht epatch or is occuring after having installed the patch?

Reply 64 of 114, by goldmastersims

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MiG Alley was a big part of my childhood. Now I want to make it work again.

I followed gill's instructions, but I get the error message "The procedure entry point SymAddrIncludeInlineTrace could not be located in the dynamic link library DBGhelp.dll (in C:\Windows\System32)." Windows doesn't let me modify System32 and I can't successfully change the owner from TrustedInstaller. However, I have the portable MiG Alley install fully patched and with the other .dlls otherwise.

Is anyone able to check my roots.dir if it's been configured correctly? I currently have it on my Windows 10 desktop.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Filename
    Capture.PNG
    File size
    53.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by goldmastersims on 2021-06-21, 04:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 65 of 114, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
goldmastersims wrote on 2021-06-20, 22:47:

...Is anyone able to check my roots.dir if it's been configured correctly? I currently have it on my Windows 10 desktop.

I believe your line 13 should simply read QUAD\.

Thats the folder you move all the Smacker files to if I remember correctly.

Reply 66 of 114, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the original 1.00 version. Patching it to 1.23 and applying the BDG patch doesn't work. Only the v1.1 works fine for me with DDraw fix. Since my original copy doesn't have the 1.1 patch, I am looking for it. I noticed the data files of both the version are of the same size in bytes but they differ in the setup.exe sizes and the older one doesn't have intel.ttf

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 67 of 114, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Figured out something: If you are using version 1.00 or any version where the game doesn't install, then you need to update the setup with version 1.1 setup files. Copy the CD contents off to your storage media and update the files with these: https://www.mediafire.com/file/8ddktet2yut1xe … 1setup.rar/file

This should install intel.ttf and also allow you to install the game completely without the disk errors. After installation, put WineD3D file in the game directory, and run the game.

Reply 68 of 114, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Game's running fine but it has stability issues when going to preferences menu, or changing to Software driver while the flying has started. The latter happens as the whole map isn't rendered in that time.

Reply 70 of 114, by goldmastersims

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-07-02, 11:08:

Game's running fine but it has stability issues when going to preferences menu, or changing to Software driver while the flying has started. The latter happens as the whole map isn't rendered in that time.

Just to clarify, do you do all of this on just Windows 10? Personally, it's been a pain for me to transfer files between a Windows 98 VM and back because the preinstalled images were too small and file sharing didn't work for me. I've also lost my original MA physical CD, and I have a digital ISO to substitute for it I believe.

Does VOGONS have a Discord, or is there a Discord for MA users in general? That's where I prefer to communicate.

Reply 71 of 114, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
goldmastersims wrote on 2021-07-08, 23:54:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-07-02, 11:08:

Just to clarify, do you do all of this on just Windows 10? Personally, it's been a pain for me to transfer files between a Windows 98 VM and back because the preinstalled images were too small and file sharing didn't work for me. I've also lost my original MA physical CD, and I have a digital ISO to substitute for it I believe.

Does VOGONS have a Discord, or is there a Discord for MA users in general? That's where I prefer to communicate.

Yes I do these on Windows 10.

There is a private message option here.

Reply 73 of 114, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess it is OK for me to suggest the VM route as the option had been tabled earlier. If you don't like it, then just ignore it.

The CD ISO available to me for testing has the README.TXT that says "V1.1 Compiled 4 November 1999". I used QEMU on Windows 10 21H1 fully updated, either with Win98 or WinME VM. Since you have Ryzen 5800H, then I would recommend WinME VM. Running the game is as simple as having the CD ISO in VM, install and play. I also tried last official patch 1.23, everything was fine and that was where I typically stopped for playing games in "pristine condition".

However, the results wasn't quite satisfying due to my obsession with 3D acceleration. With Direct3D by selecting the "Primary Display Driver" in Preference, the measured frame rate wasn't very good. Something like 15 FPS in the cockpit view with just the sky & clouds and when flying low or switching to outside camera with ground imagery in-view, then it became 6~8 FPS. The tweaking from "3D" & 3D II" in the Preference did not yield any better results. Very disappointing outcome. The results was obtained with AMD FX-8300/GeForce GT 730, though an aged CPU/GPU setup, I doubt it would improve with state-of-the-art high-end CPU/GPU.

With software rendering by selecting "Software 3D Driver" in Preference, the game measured 30 FPS locked all-time in any camera view. It was a surprising fact that game software 3D driver has no restriction in the selection of native rendering resolution. I tried 1024x768 and 1280x960 and both were locked at 30 FPS. So I guess if one doesn't mind with just "Software 3D Driver", then the game would play well in this way.

Since the game has a decent "Software 3D Driver" I guess any emulators that would offer CPU virtualization for Win98/ME VM just work equally well, VMware/VirtualBox/Parallels and QEMU WHPX/KVM. I am not an avid FlightSim game player, so this is all I have from quick & dirty game testing. I am not able to relate true game experience if playing such game on VM would be a great experience.

Reply 74 of 114, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
goldmastersims wrote on 2021-07-13, 06:35:

I just attempted to install with a 1.00 ISO and updated installation files as you said. I'm stuck at 74% when it's installing INTEL.ttf. Says the installer program is not responding.

Just install the file manually. It didn't install for me on a old Windows 7 machine for some reason and froze at the same point. Probably a similar case with you.

Reply 75 of 114, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kjliew wrote on 2021-07-13, 08:17:

However, the results wasn't quite satisfying due to my obsession with 3D acceleration. With Direct3D by selecting the "Primary Display Driver" in Preference, the measured frame rate wasn't very good. Something like 15 FPS in the cockpit view with just the sky & clouds and when flying low or switching to outside camera with ground imagery in-view, then it became 6~8 FPS. The tweaking from "3D" & 3D II" in the Preference did not yield any better results. Very disappointing outcome. The results was obtained with AMD FX-8300/GeForce GT 730, though an aged CPU/GPU setup, I doubt it would improve with state-of-the-art high-end CPU/GPU.

With software rendering by selecting "Software 3D Driver" in Preference, the game measured 30 FPS locked all-time in any camera view. It was a surprising fact that game software 3D driver has no restriction in the selection of native rendering resolution. I tried 1024x768 and 1280x960 and both were locked at 30 FPS. So I guess if one doesn't mind with just "Software 3D Driver", then the game would play well in this way.

Since the game has a decent "Software 3D Driver" I guess any emulators that would offer CPU virtualization for Win98/ME VM just work equally well, VMware/VirtualBox/Parallels and QEMU WHPX/KVM. I am not an avid FlightSim game player, so this is all I have from quick & dirty game testing. I am not able to relate true game experience if playing such game on VM would be a great experience.

HW rendering requires somthing like WineD3D or DDrawCompat on new GPU drivers. WineD3D didn't impose me any graphical issues however the game ran at around 20fps with ground view and 30fps in cockpit. Issue can be that the newer WineD3Ds use Vulkan so an older version may be required for older/weaker/unsupporting Vulkan GPUs

Software Renderer would be a better option.

Third option would be ideal but Ryzen 1st gen has a bug which doesn't allow 32 bits drivers to be run on Windows 98 VMware/VBox etc because of some VME bug. Thus not ideal for me neither could I try it.

Reply 76 of 114, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-07-13, 13:44:

Issue can be that the newer WineD3Ds use Vulkan so an older version may be required for older/weaker/unsupporting Vulkan GPUs

QEMU does not support Vulkan for WineD3D. 😉

Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-07-13, 13:44:

Third option would be ideal but Ryzen 1st gen has a bug which doesn't allow 32 bits drivers to be run on Windows 98 VMware/VBox etc because of some VME bug. Thus not ideal for me neither could I try it.

I don't believe there is anything to do with VME. Windows 98 has inherent issues with MMU paging on TLB invalidation for very fast systems. WinME VM works great on Ryzens with QEMU WHPX/KVM. I just tried the game on Windows 2000 VM and it also worked out-of-box with simple install and play, absolutely no manual moving of any files from CD ISO or any downloaded files from the Internet.

Reply 77 of 114, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now i bring good news for playing this game on VM. 😉

The game worked out-of-the-box for Win2K/XP VM and was faster in WinXP. By going Win2K/XP VM, perhaps VMware/VirtualBox/Parallels would have better chance at competing with QEMU for games. 😁

I also tried WinXP VM in Arch Linux with QEMU KVM because KVM generally offers 2X the CPU virtualization performance compared to WHPX on Windows 10. And the results spoke for themselves with measured frame rate at 30FPS in cockpit view and 16~18 FPS with ground imagery on the same AMD FX-8300/Geforce GT 730. The game was much smoother on WinXP VM in Arch Linux with Direct3D acceleration.

Given Ryzen 1600/GTX1050Ti and Ryzen 5800H/RTX3070 are so much more ahead in performance compared to my aging setup, the game would definitely achieve at least 30FPS in VM with CPU virtualization and GPU acceleration for Direct3D even on Windows 10.

Isn't this the future we should be heading towards? Completely hassle-free, just rip the CD, install and play. It's fun with virtualization! 😎

Reply 78 of 114, by goldmastersims

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2021-07-13, 23:16:
Now i bring good news for playing this game on VM. ;) […]
Show full quote

Now i bring good news for playing this game on VM. 😉

The game worked out-of-the-box for Win2K/XP VM and was faster in WinXP. By going Win2K/XP VM, perhaps VMware/VirtualBox/Parallels would have better chance at competing with QEMU for games. 😁

I also tried WinXP VM in Arch Linux with QEMU KVM because KVM generally offers 2X the CPU virtualization performance compared to WHPX on Windows 10. And the results spoke for themselves with measured frame rate at 30FPS in cockpit view and 16~18 FPS with ground imagery on the same AMD FX-8300/Geforce GT 730. The game was much smoother on WinXP VM in Arch Linux with Direct3D acceleration.

Given Ryzen 1600/GTX1050Ti and Ryzen 5800H/RTX3070 are so much more ahead in performance compared to my aging setup, the game would definitely achieve at least 30FPS in VM with CPU virtualization and GPU acceleration for Direct3D even on Windows 10.

Isn't this the future we should be heading towards? Completely hassle-free, just rip the CD, install and play. It's fun with virtualization! 😎

Do you have any modern joystick? And do the buttons just work fine with MA in the VM?

I also installed INTEL.ttf. It's still stuck at 74%.

Reply 79 of 114, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No I didn't have joystick when testing this game. But I tested USB GamePad pass-through for X-Wing 95 on QEMU KVM on Linux here. It is easier for USB pass-through on Linux with QEMU KVM. QEMU just needs to be built with libusb. I suppose the same should work on Windows 10 with QEMU built with libusb from MSYS2/mingw-w64 but I have not verified that myself.

goldmastersims wrote on 2021-07-14, 01:55:

I also installed INTEL.ttf. It's still stuck at 74%.

Which VM did you use and get stuck?