VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 42 of 52, by Charles_C

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
UCyborg wrote on 2020-09-09, 17:37:
I fixed some issues in 1.1.1.0 version of the game, including the one this thread is about, plus: […]
Show full quote

I fixed some issues in 1.1.1.0 version of the game, including the one this thread is about, plus:

• Direct3D mode now works with dgVoodoo2 and works better with native Direct3D as well (no more game not responding to mouse wheel).
  • Added -d3dnomaxwinmode command line argument (calls undocumented Windows 8+ specific DirectDraw function to restore classic fullscreen mode for Direct3D mode).
  • Changed styling of game window in windowed mode.
  • Removed some non-critical calls to window management APIs.
  • Fixed an issue with CD/MP3 playback code that would sometimes leave a hung hl.exe process in the background after quitting.

Download: ModDB

Edit: I just realized passing the new command line argument -d3dnomaxwinmode makes the game behave as if -d3d was also passed, automatically selecting Direct3D mode, even if it hasn't been set previously. Guess the builtin command line argument checking function just checks if one of the passed arguments contains or begins with specified string, so a check for "-d3d" returns positive result even if only "-d3dnomaxwinmode" is passed. Bleh.

Hello, Does your mod or patch fix the annoying BLACK SCREEN won't transition into menu problem?

Reply 43 of 52, by Rodney Betters

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
God Of Gaming wrote on 2021-10-23, 16:18:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKkJPFmDW9Q

This comparison shows the gist of it. Version 1.0.0.5 to 1.0.1.6 has everything working correctly, the bugs this vid shows off got added after 1.1.0.0 and are still present in latest steam update

I recently tested every version of the WON retail game and made a few observations. Tests were done on Windows XP using the software renderer. Thought I'd add them here for visibility:

• 1.0.0.5 and 1.0.0.6 have broken EAX audio; the audio just sounds terrible, with pops, clicks, and garbled sound effects/dialogue. This was fixed with version 1.0.0.8 when 4 channel EAX was added.
  • The flood water in Power Up, the trash compactor walls in Apprehension, and the blast door in the DM map Crossfire do not move in 1.0.0.5 thru 1.0.1.6 (on my Windows XP, Core 2 Quad rig at least). This is the one problem preventing me from using 1.0.1.6.
  • Viewrolling is removed starting with 1.1.0.0 (is there any way to reintroduce viewrolling in post 1.1.x.x versions?).
  • The bugs demonstrated in the linked vid (other than the removal of viewrolling) were all introduced in version 1.1.0.6, not 1.1.0.0 as the video suggests. These bugs include the missing magnum reload sound effect, the broken idle animations, the strange 'rapid fire' behavior of the hivehand and the crowbar, and the downgraded visuals for the tau cannon and gluon gun. None of these issues occur in versions 1.1.0.0 thru 1.1.0.4.

I find version 1.1.0.4 to be the ideal version of the retail release, despite the missing viewroll. One issue I haven't been able to narrow down is the strange twitching that the NPCs often do. The twitching doesn't occur 100% of the time - sometimes their animations play properly albeit rarely. Seems to affect every version of the game.

Reply 44 of 52, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The flood water, trash compactor and blast door were working fine on 1.0.0.5 and 1.0.0.9 on win98 pc with pentium 3 and voodoo3... btw did you raise the max fps to 100? As that causes some similar bugs like some times not being able to push the sample at the start into the machine... gotta keep it to the original 72 fps lock and not touch that

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 45 of 52, by Rodney Betters

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
God Of Gaming wrote on 2023-07-20, 08:11:

btw did you raise the max fps to 100?

I didn't mess with the framerate during my testing, so I believe it was running at a solid 72 FPS on 1.0.0.5 thru 1.0.1.6. Was the FPS limit changed to 100 starting at 1.1.0.0? Maybe that's what corrected the issue on my system.

Reply 46 of 52, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

shouldn't be changed, in fact I still think its 72 by default in the latest steam version... also at 72 you shouldnt have any issues, so idk what was causing them then... corrupted CD?

Reply 47 of 52, by Rodney Betters

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Highly unlikely that the CD is the problem. Another user here informed me that patch 1.1.0.0 was a major update to the engine, so I assume the changes affected the logic of those instances where the issue occurs.

I did manage to find one post elsewhere on the internet by someone who had experienced the problem. I was able to get in contact with him but he wasn't able to find the cause either. He told me he was using the WON disc on Windows 10, though he couldn't recall the exact patch version he was running. My best guess is that it's caused by running a pre-1.1.x.x version of the game in combination with a multi-core CPU. I know for sure that it's not a GPU issue, having tested several different graphics cards and reproducing the issue with all three video modes (Software, OpenGL, and Direct3D).

Reply 48 of 52, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if the cause is a multi-core cpu, a simple fix should be to set affinty for just one core, thats how I prevented nfs underground 2 from randomly crashing while entering stores and events

Reply 49 of 52, by Rodney Betters

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I take back what I said about 1.1.0.4 being the ideal version. I spent so much time testing different areas that I didn't bother starting a fresh game until last night. Turns out, weird placeholder text appears on-screen during the intro tram ride. As you go through you see "OPENTITLE2", "OPENTITLE3", etc. appear on-screen as the credits are shown. Any fix for that? I also noticed a silly bug with 1.1.0.0 and 1.1.0.1 - you can't squish the cockroaches under your feet... Seems like every version of this game has weird problems.

Reply 50 of 52, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

as good as coders as Valve are, honestly the goldsrc engine source code is a complete and utter mess... likely the reason why they still havent made the engine open source, they are probably too ashamed from people seeing how bad the code is... at this point probably best to just start off fresh and make a community remaster with code from scratch on some quake source port

Reply 52 of 52, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rodney Betters wrote on 2023-09-04, 21:47:

Seems like every version of this game has weird problems.

Exactly.

God Of Gaming wrote on 2023-09-04, 22:46:

as good as coders as Valve are, honestly the goldsrc engine source code is a complete and utter mess... likely the reason why they still havent made the engine open source, they are probably too ashamed from people seeing how bad the code is... at this point probably best to just start off fresh and make a community remaster with code from scratch on some quake source port

I kinda doubt that's the reason for being closed-source. There is a re-implementation of GoldSrc out there that goes by the name of Xash3D, although its legality is questionable. When I tried it several years ago, it had bugs that didn't occur with real GoldSrc and while it does fix some bugs of the original, certain events not triggering in expansions/mods is just too big of an issue to ignore to be able to have confidence in it. Though that was back then, maybe it's better now.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.