VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 260 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@myne there is a major flaw in the profile creation mechanism:

• Some games prefer to be run with single process affinity for stability. Some don't, such as Titanium. However the profile creation mechanism sets all games to NOT use single process affinity
  • Win95 31st century combat is better without disabling DDSCL_EXCLUSIVE, while Mercenaries and GBL run better when they are disabled. However the profile creating assigns the same thing to every one.
  • The Desktop screen setting is set for Titanium games only, but it also takes into effect in Win95 games too, leading them to not return to their windowed shell and instead stuck in the fullscreen mode.
  • Some issues related to MechLab

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 261 of 272, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok...
But you configured the profiles?
I just applied them with the installer

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 262 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
myne wrote on 2024-03-19, 10:11:

Ok...
But you configured the profiles?
I just applied them with the installer

Yes there are differences in profiles of every game. However installer just installs a common one on the same game.

+ I found another error that may correspond to the registry in Mercenaries: the clickable areas in Mercenaries have a text which is not displayed when the PS installer is used, similarly the movies are disabled.

If you want, I can send all the profiles individually.

Reply 263 of 272, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Huh? There are at least 3 profiles you made and are in the installer.

Eg $compatpatch="mech2startupfix.sdb"

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.

Reply 264 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
myne wrote on 2024-03-19, 11:34:

Huh? There are at least 3 profiles you made and are in the installer.

Eg $compatpatch="mech2startupfix.sdb"

Dxwnd profiles, not sdb patches-

Reply 265 of 272, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh. Right.
So it's not a major issue with the installer, it's new settings for dxwnd you've discovered that work better on different versions.

Probably best to upload the various configs here, and let users sort it out.
I'll note that the only 2 people that seem to care are you and I, so... I'm not convinced it's worth the effort to update the installer.
All the issues reported so far are just editions that weren't originally in the list.

No one's commented on the issues you're noticing.
Maybe they remember how flaky it was 30 years ago and are just dealing with it like we did then?
Maybe they fire it up for 5 mins, get their nostalgia fix, and quit?
Maybe they're just moving to titanium when they have issues because it has been proven to the finish?

No idea. No one's commenting once their edition is installing.

Things I built:

Reply 266 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
myne wrote on 2024-03-19, 23:56:

Oh. Right.
So it's not a major issue with the installer, it's new settings for dxwnd you've discovered that work better on different versions.

Different engines, different games, of course different settings. Many of them are already there in the first post's attachment.

Probably best to upload the various configs here, and let users sort it out.

Okay, but how for "mw2installer.rar"?

All the issues reported so far are just editions that weren't originally in the list.

Which issues? The ones I said yesterday? These games were already in the list from the start

Maybe they remember how flaky it was 30 years ago and are just dealing with it like we did then?
No idea. No one's commenting once their edition is installing.

No it was less flaky then I reported to be. with the config the installer installs

Maybe they fire it up for 5 mins, get their nostalgia fix, and quit?
Maybe they're just moving to titanium when they have issues because it has been proven to the finish?

Only true opinion

Reply 267 of 272, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These are the two DXW files you put in the zips in the first post - which as best I understand builds the DXWind ini file.
(I used titanium v2)

dxwdiffs.JPG
Filename
dxwdiffs.JPG
File size
73.18 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

There are no notable differences except possibly coord0 which I don't know what it does.

Things I built:

Reply 268 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
myne wrote on 2024-03-20, 08:25:
These are the two DXW files you put in the zips in the first post - which as best I understand builds the DXWind ini file. (I us […]
Show full quote

These are the two DXW files you put in the zips in the first post - which as best I understand builds the DXWind ini file.
(I used titanium v2)

dxwdiffs.JPG

There are no notable differences except possibly coord0 which I don't know what it does.

There were more changes, I went through the previous files and noticed some got other settings used as well (for eg: GBL settings in another installer). But one setting isn't enough for all.

Firstly I would need to declare that all Titanium games use the same profile, Win95 games all need different ones, the proprietary games like 3dfx interactive and d3d mercs also have minor differences.

What do you propose then?

Reply 269 of 272, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Will the first step is to share the damn configs 🤣
Like I said above. Let the users sort it out, and I'll get to integrating it if/when I find time

Things I built:

Reply 270 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
myne wrote on 2024-03-20, 21:48:

Like I said above. Let the users sort it out, and I'll get to integrating it if/when I find time

fixed the Mercenaries and GBL issues.

Probably tomorrow I will send everything

Reply 271 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-03-23, 21:48:

+ got battlepack working too. They contain some pesky resolution bugs, achievable in original HW too so they were game bugs.

Although I get a "negative thread" error on mission exit but it doesn't harm the gameplay so its manageable

Reply 272 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-03-23, 22:13:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-03-23, 21:48:

+ got battlepack working too. They contain some pesky resolution bugs, achievable in original HW too so they were game bugs.

Although I get a "negative thread" error on mission exit but it doesn't harm the gameplay so its manageable

Meanwhile Mech2 Mercs 3DS broke: the game hangs when releasing the D3D session. Please wait again.