VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NBlood and Rednukem worked fine on Windows 7 before. But not in Win 10. Hardware is Thinkpad X230 with Intel HD 4000.
If I run any of the games in OpenGL mode it freezes either in the menu or on the first frames of the game. I updated to the latest drivers form Lenovo website, and it seemed to have solved the issue. Both started to work normally. But now after several days it's not working again with same symptoms. Software mode works. Tried both early and the latest version of the engine.
Any ideas how to fix this are much appreciated.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 1 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bondi wrote on 2023-01-31, 16:56:

NBlood and Rednukem worked fine on Windows 7 before. But not in Win 10. Hardware is Thinkpad X230 with Intel HD 4000.
If I run any of the games in OpenGL mode it freezes either in the menu or on the first frames of the game. I updated to the latest drivers form Lenovo website, and it seemed to have solved the issue. Both started to work normally. But now after several days it's not working again with same symptoms. Software mode works. Tried both early and the latest version of the engine.
Any ideas how to fix this are much appreciated.

You could use DxWnd's OpenGL hook and see if it is resolved.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Newer versions of eduke32 have been breaking things. Try an older version around the beginning of Nov 2021 but not equal to or later than 11/11 as a starting point and then jump month to month.
You shouldn't have any issues with BuildGDX

Also I've seen Windows revert newer Intel video drivers to older versions so check if that happened.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2023-01-31, 22:04:

Also I've seen Windows revert newer Intel video drivers to older versions so check if that happened.

How newer the drivers should be? On my Intel iGPU it correctly install the latest driver but it's 3 year old.

Reply 5 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-02-01, 05:40:

How newer the drivers should be? On my Intel iGPU it correctly install the latest driver but it's 3 year old.

From what I've seen on some Intel video cards if I download the latest driver from Intel sometimes windows will downgrade the driver later, in those cases when I revert back to the newer driver in device manager I try to enter into the field when it asks why that the drivers are newer and work.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2023-02-01, 11:20:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-02-01, 05:40:

From what I've seen on some Intel video cards if I download the latest driver from Intel sometimes windows will downgrade the driver later, in those cases when I revert back to the newer driver in device manager I try to enter into the field when it asks why that the drivers are newer and work.

Windows Update has newer chipset drivers and Intel ME drivers than the ones provided in the motherboard site. Can't ascertain if they are the correct one.

With a new Windowss install the Nvidia drivers are way old and I generally need to keep ddu in hand.

Reply 7 of 10, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Newer versions of eduke32 have been breaking things. Try an older version around the beginning of Nov 2021 but not equal to or later than 11/11 as a starting point and then jump month to month.
You shouldn't have any issues with BuildGDX

Thanks a lot. I tried BuildGDX and I'm quite happy with it. Didn't even try the other versions of eduke32.

EDIT: Well, after playing a while, there is just something not right with BuildGDX for me. So tried an old version of rednukem from october 21. Works fine! Thanks again!

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers