VOGONS

Common searches

Quake 1 bots

Topic actions

First post, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This topic maybe doesn't quite fit here, as it is more about a recommendation than something that's outright broken, forgive me.

What is the best bot for Quake? Obviously this is an opinionated matter, I'm just curious if there's anything better than the Omicron bot.

I remember the Reaper bot was quite the breakthrough when it came out, but it had many flaws, such as, the bots were glued to the floor, you couldn't launch them into the air with rockets by shooting at their feet like you could with a normal human player in deathmatch. I remember this got fixed (probably before that) with the Omicron (?) bot, which was also superior in other areas.

But no bot I've tried could consistently do things like bunny jumping, rocket jumping, or employ highly skilled deathmatch play in general.

Just curious if this gap between good human players and bots ever got bridged beyond the Omicron bot.

Basically, if you want to play Quake (1996) against bots in deathmatch, what is a good recommendation?

Reply 2 of 10, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-07-12, 15:22:

Been a while but reaper bots come to mind, dude who made them went on to make the bots for Unreal Tournament.

IIRC there is also a version for Quake II as well.

Yeah as I mentioned, the Reaper bot was a breakthrough, and Steven Polge went indeed on to write the bots for UT as well. The Reaper bot is actually quite early in the overall history and development of Quake bots, though. So it is definitely not the best or even a good one, compared to more modern bots (like Omicron).

Reply 3 of 10, by fourier

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To play with bots you better to install modern multiplayer quakeworld client from http://nquake.com, it even supports old-school graphics. Then follow the guide https://www.quakeworld.nu/wiki/Playing_with_bots
QuakeWorld still has a pretty active (even small) community, you can find all the information on a wiki (start with https://www.quakeworld.nu/wiki/Qwrookie), there is even a discord server for it: discord.quake.world iirc
Good luck!

Last edited by fourier on 2023-07-13, 09:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 10, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't the recent-ish Quake remaster have bots? How do they compare to the third party bots?

The thing I didn't like about the Quake third party bots was that there was no in-game menu for adding/removing/modifying bots and their behaviour. It wasn't a total loss, as you could bind the bot options and commands to your your choice of keys, but it was a little disappointing. A flaw it shared with every third party bot I can think of for every FPS that didn't have native bot support.

Reply 5 of 10, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kerr Avon wrote on 2023-07-12, 23:25:

Doesn't the recent-ish Quake remaster have bots? How do they compare to the third party bots?

The thing I didn't like about the Quake third party bots was that there was no in-game menu for adding/removing/modifying bots and their behaviour. It wasn't a total loss, as you could bind the bot options and commands to your your choice of keys, but it was a little disappointing. A flaw it shared with every third party bot I can think of for every FPS that didn't have native bot support.

I think it isn't that bad with later bots, the original Reaper bot uses "impulse 205" or something like that to spawn a bot, while later bots like the Omicron just uses "addbot". It isn't a big deal I think to just have to type that in the console a few times.

On the other hand, the pain of getting Quake to work at all, isn't trivial. I've had issues with the graphics stuttering, with the sound stuttering, and now with CD audio.

Quake also has a weird configuration system for its config files, I had to create a new config instead of writing to the original config file (and use autoexec to start my new config), otherwise it seems to overwrite my changes to the original config file.

Reply 6 of 10, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Man I haven't heard about Reaper bots in a long time. I remember playing them when I was on dial-up and could only be on the internet at certain times of the day.

I still have my old Quake installation:

Attachments

• Image4.png
    Filename
    Image4.png
    File size
    85.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 7 of 10, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fractal5 wrote on 2023-07-13, 16:37:
I think it isn't that bad with later bots, the original Reaper bot uses "impulse 205" or something like that to spawn a bot, whi […]
Show full quote
Kerr Avon wrote on 2023-07-12, 23:25:

I think it isn't that bad with later bots, the original Reaper bot uses "impulse 205" or something like that to spawn a bot, while later bots like the Omicron just uses "addbot". It isn't a big deal I think to just have to type that in the console a few times.

On the other hand, the pain of getting Quake to work at all, isn't trivial. I've had issues with the graphics stuttering, with the sound stuttering, and now with CD audio.

Quake also has a weird configuration system for its config files, I had to create a new config instead of writing to the original config file (and use autoexec to start my new config), otherwise it seems to overwrite my changes to the original config file.

Just set your original config to read only, should stop any unwanted alterations 🤣

Reply 9 of 10, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote on 2023-07-13, 18:08:

Man I haven't heard about Reaper bots in a long time. I remember playing them when I was on dial-up and could only be on the internet at certain times of the day.

I still have my old Quake installation:

1996 timestamp on some of those files, wow!

I envy you for having correct timestamps from way back then, my timestamps have been mangled multiple times from migrating between filesystems (fat32, to linux with ext2, ext3, ext4, to windows again with ntfs, etc. etc.).

Reply 10 of 10, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's actually a fresh installation of Windows (hence the directory with a July 8 date). My drive (a crappy WD Green SSD) failed on Friday and I had to spend the weekend reinstalling everything and restoring backups.

Is this too much voodoo?