VOGONS

First post, by MechWarriorZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

when I play a dos game it's sometimes glitch and hangs the PC then I have to reboot the PC

Reply 1 of 8, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Need more info. Post the emulator you're using (VMware, 86box, etc.) or the hardware if it's real hardware (CPU, memory, graphics, motherboard, hard drive, etc.), version of DOS, and the games you're having trouble with, then we can try and help.

Reply 3 of 8, by MechWarriorZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

here are some pictures

Attachments

Reply 5 of 8, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Memtest?

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 7 of 8, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are many examples of jemmex exception 06 on Google.
Maybe it's buggy and you should try a different memory manager, or the memory is flaky and you should run memtest.

I doubt anyone else will have any different suggestions.

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 8 of 8, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you have a USB floppy drive or would consider getting one, the BIOS may support booting from it, which would open up some doors for troubleshooting.

But even without that, since you are using a CF card adapter, you could try writing Memtest directly to a CF card and booting it that way. If you don't already have some extra CF cards I highly recommend getting some since it will give you a lot of flexibility for testing, troubleshooting, and trying other OSs without wiping/restoring the same CF card all the time.

It also looks like the RAM is a separate module and not soldered, so if you have another machine with the same memory type, you could try putting the module in there and running Memtest.

As far as the version goes, you'll want to use Memtest86 4.3.7. There is also another one called "Windows Memory Diagnostic" which is freely available on the web, though Memtest is the gold standard. The reason it's recommended to do this is because without knowing for sure the memory is good, any other suggestions might not help at all.