User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2021-09-12, 21:10:

Rayer wrote a utility for that .

Look here Re: Pure DOS gaming system with 100% digital audio output

Cheers, I'll give that a try.

Honestly, I only use SPDIF OUT on this card for recording FM synth music, and 90% of the time choosing "Restart in MS-DOS mode" is fine for me. But there are a few edge cases where a game needs a custom configuration (due to conventional memory requirements and such) so it's better to boot straight into DOS without ever loading Win9x.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 41 of 47, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today I finished a project I've been planning for some time now - make a SPDIF bracket for my AWE64 Gold. I was following this guide and it worked out great, despite my mediocre soldering skills.

AWE64_Bracket.jpg
Filename
AWE64_Bracket.jpg
File size
73.17 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Basically, I bought a gold plated RCA socket and some jumper cables. Then, I removed the plastic connectors from one end of the jumper cables, stripped the wires, soldered them to the RCA socket, applied some electrical tape and lastly mounted all that on a spare bracket. I repurposed that bracket from an old graphics card which had Composite TV Out next to the VGA port, which made it a perfect fit for the RCA socket. Finally, I connected the ground wire (black) to pin 1 and the signal wire (white) to pin 0 of the SPDIF connector on my the AWE64 Gold and it worked! Here are some music samples recorded via SPDIF out:

So far, I've only been able to get AWE and CQM music to output via SPDIF. Digitized sound does not play, even in games which supposedly support 44.1 kHz like Duke3D and Terminal Velocity. I'll see if I can dig out my Crusader: No Remorse CD and try that next. BTW, all of those were recorded in pure DOS 6.22. No reverb, chorus and no soundfonts loaded. Just pure AWE music.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 42 of 47, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update on the AWE64 Gold SPDIF output. First, here's what Creative states on page 12 of the AWE64 Gold manual (emphasis mine):

AWE64_Gold_Manual.jpg
Filename
AWE64_Gold_Manual.jpg
File size
84.99 KiB
Views
File license

I can confirm that digitized audio will play via SPDIF under those conditions. For example, if you use Winamp to play a WAV or MP3 file encoded as 44.1 kHz 16-bit stereo, it will properly play back through SPDIF output. On the other hand, playing an Audio CD will not work, which makes sense, as the CD drive is connected to the AWE64 Gold using an analog cable.

Unsurprisingly, it seems that most DOS and even many Win9x era games do not output digitized sounds in 44.1 kHz 16-bit. In DOS, I tried Crusader: No Remorse and Duke Nukem 3D and neither of them played digitized sound via SPDIF. Duke3D even has an explicit 44.1 kHz setting for digitized audio under setup, but it still doesn't work. Under Win98SE, I tried running StarCraft and also got no digitized sound to play back via SPDIF.

Obviously, I haven't tested every single game out there, and it's possible that some of them do actually use 44.1 kHz 16-bit audio which will work. But so far, I think that the SPDIF Out of the AWE64 Gold is not very practical for gaming purposes. Sure, you can record pristine quality CQM and AWE music that way, and that's awesome. And Soundfonts loaded through the AWE Control Panel will also work just fine via SPDIF. Digitized audio is a gamble though, and will likely not work via AWE64 SPDIF Out most of the time.

Reply 43 of 47, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally found a Win9x game that fully outputs digitized sounds through SPDIF on the AWE64. It's Deus Ex which uses 44.1 kHz 16-bit audio by default:

DeusEx_Sound_Settings.jpg
Filename
DeusEx_Sound_Settings.jpg
File size
56.95 KiB
Views
File license

As far as I can tell, everything works as it's supposed to. Music, speech and sound effects all properly play back via SPDIF. I imagine other games based on the Unreal engine might work too, when configured to use the same sound settings.

P.S.

As I've updated this system with several new pieces hardware since I first made this thread, I have decided to redo the benchmarks. Looks like my scores have improved by 2-4% depending on the application. The RAM running at CL2 and using an SSD instead of a standard hard drive were probably the biggest contributing factors.

Reply 44 of 47, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As time passed and I started acquiring more retro systems, I found that I'm using this one less and less. It was originally intended as a Glide rig, but I eventually realized that the CPU was too slow for later Win9x Glide games like Diablo 2, Unreal Tournament and Deus Ex.

Therefore, I have started parting out this system and moving some components to my other rigs. The Voodoo3 went to the AthlonXP system while the AWE64 Gold and the SC-155 got moved to my Pentium MMX rig. I'm leaving the original post with the specs and benchmarks for reference purposes, but this build is now effectively retired.

Reply 45 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-05-11, 05:11:

As time passed and I started acquiring more retro systems, I found that I'm using this one less and less. It was originally intended as a Glide rig, but I eventually realized that the CPU was too slow for later Win9x Glide games like Diablo 2, Unreal Tournament and Deus Ex.

Therefore, I have started parting out this system and moving some components to my other rigs. The Voodoo3 went to the AthlonXP system while the AWE64 Gold and the SC-155 got moved to my Pentium MMX rig. I'm leaving the original post with the specs and benchmarks for reference purposes, but this build is now effectively retired.

Appreciated that you decided to leave all the info there. In the end it doesn't really matter if it's still a current build, the info itself already has value and I found it all a good read🙂

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 46 of 47, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While this system has been parted out, I do occasionally use the CPU + motherboard as a test platform for newly acquired sound and graphics cards. Until recently, I thought that this Abit ZM6 board could only (officially) take Mendocino Celerons. But then I stumbled upon this post on Anandtech which stated that the board is also compatible with Coppermine Celerons, as long as they are of the cB0 stepping. I double checked the BIOS changelog (available from Soggi's page), and it does indeed state the following:

Bios Issue Date: 2000/05/22
BIOS ID: QU

1. Fixes the incorrect memory capacity issue under Linux
2. Fixes the ACPI issue under W2K.
3. Improves the power on function by the mouse right/left button after shutting down the system under Win98SE
4. Supports Celeron 533a(66) ,566(66) and 600(66)MHz CPUs.

This got me intrigued, so I went online and ordered a Celeron 600 with the cB0 stepping:

Celeron_600.jpg
Filename
Celeron_600.jpg
File size
189.69 KiB
Views
File license

The package arrived today. I just ran a quick test and it works!

Celeron_POST.jpg
Filename
Celeron_POST.jpg
File size
216.7 KiB
Views
File license

And here's the obligatory CPU-Z screenshot with the stepping info:

Celeron_CPU-Z.jpg
Filename
Celeron_CPU-Z.jpg
File size
62.18 KiB
Views
File license

To clarify, this was achieved without using a Powerleap adapter or making any modifications to the motherboard. Everything is stock, and it still works. I don't expect a ton of extra performance from this upgrade, but it was interesting to see that a (certain) Coppermine Celeron can indeed work on the ZM6. Figured this info might be interesting to other people as well, so I decided to post it here.

P.S.

The cooler which originally came with the previous Mendocino Celeron was not appropriate for the Coppermine Celeron. I think the heatsink wasn't making proper contact with the CPU core. Fortunately, I had another socket 370 cooler at hand, which was specifically tailored for Coppermine Celerons, and that one works fine.

Reply 47 of 47, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC most Mendocino BX (and as such, ZX as well since ZX=BX, just like EX=LX) boards I've seen will easily run 66FSB Coppermines, as long as the voltage regulator can go down to 1.8v. There are a few BXs that may fry the chips but so far I haven't found any yet.

The only one I know of that will almost outright refuse to work properly with Coppermines would be 440LX. Unless I'm wrong and there's been a way to run SSE-enabled Coppermines on 440LX.

The reason for this is that Celerons seem to have kept a few of the Mendocino signals up until the 100FSB chips came to exist. I was a bit surprised to find out my Zida 6DLX would POST with a Coppermine Celeron (66FSB, 566MHz) on a slotket. Not so much happy when I found out it would lock up due to LX not knowing how to deal with SSE (while BX seems to know dealing with it.)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB