Common searches

Is it me or is it quiet over here?

Topic actions

First post, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I get the impression these forums are relatively quiet. Only a dozen or so posts a week. Is that just my imagination or does anyone else get the impression the activity here is declining?

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 2 of 20, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, those 42 views didn't come out of thin air. However I have noticed noone has posted here much except me for the last two days.

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:

Reply 4 of 20, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I assume that most VOGONS users have at least one retro computer that is capable of running a few, if not most, DOS games (compatibility varies, of course) without the need of emulation.

Reply 5 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe we are all working on other projects... or have other stuff we have to take care of.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 20, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I though that the DOSBox section was one of the most active ones here. VOGONS means "Very Old Games On New Systems" but things have changed thru the years.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 7 of 20, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@vetz: which part of the forum is the most active according to you?
@dormcat: do you know of any online retro-computer building communities?
@cyclone3d: just out curiosity, what are your other projects?
@Gmlb256: isn't every section here about DOSBox in some way?

Hmmm, it seems I got a thread started here.... Yay!

Reply 9 of 20, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's the calm before the storm.... pending new MS OS release and all that damage that does to DOSbox operating flawlessly. 🤣

What are we wanting, new features? ST-512 hard disk mode where it pauses 3 seconds before displaying a directory listing then prints it to screen at about 25 char per sec while making wheep-whoop head thrash noises.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 20, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@BitWranger:
I remember those old noisy harddrives! 🤣 - Computers were sooo slow. Especially the media the data was stored on!

Reply 12 of 20, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Whoa! I can't believe it loaded my whole 64kB program in under 30 seconds, it used to take 5 minutes off tape!"

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 13 of 20, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@anders: upgrading to a pc with a ssd was a revelation for me...
@bitwrangler: my computer has color graphics, a harddisk and a mouse? Whoa!

Last edited by Peter Swinkels on 2021-09-13, 16:32. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 14 of 20, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2021-09-13, 14:12:

@dormcat: do you know of any online retro-computer building communities?

Besides here? Not exactly.

If you check my older posts you'd find me often whine complain about the lack of local communities of retro computing, even though the majority of MBs of 1990's and CPU/GPU nowadays were made in Taiwan in my hometown next to my BS alma mater.

I really want to have something like the recent Vintage Computer Festival Midwest locally but organizing one would be extremely difficult (sigh).

Last edited by dormcat on 2021-09-13, 14:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 20, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2021-09-13, 14:12:

isn't every section here about DOSBox in some way?

Well, I see this section to have slowed down recently. I occasionally see new threads when one asks about certain programs to work on DOSBox correctly.

Perhaps it has to do with sites such as PCGamingWiki? Many sites related to old games always have instructions to run games with DOSBox or a source port.

There are other section related to emulation but they're much less active in comparison to this.

Last edited by Gmlb256 on 2021-09-13, 15:09. Edited 1 time in total.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 17 of 20, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2021-09-13, 14:37:

upgrading to a pc with an sdd was a revelation for me...

That's was the most meaningful and relevant upgrade that I've ever seen in general as HDD was the most slowest component on a computer.

Reply 18 of 20, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dropped my ram....after it bit me.

Edit: It's 4:14 so I thought I'd better post some nonsense.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉