VOGONS

First post, by chublord

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The sound card works fine in Windows 98SE, but when when entering MS-DOS mode (or running SNDINIT.EXE) I get the error, "Error! Sound Card not detected..."

Weird thing is, this card has worked fine in this machine before (same configuration) before I reinstalled Windows. This is the machine in my signature. If it matters it's a PCI system.

This is the card I am using. I don't see any jumpers to change IRQ's, etc.

file.php?id=27465&mode=view

Config.sys:
device=C:\OPTi931\CDSETUP.SYS /T:X

Autoexec.bat:
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
SET SOUND16=C:\OPTi931
PATH C:\OPTi931; %path%

IBM Valuepoint 486 DX4-100, Opti 802G, 50 MHz FSB, Voodoo1+S3 864, Quantum Fireball EX 4.0 GB, Seagate Medalist 1.6 GB, 128 MB FPM, 256k L2

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm Opti 931 PnP card. When you say "entering MS-DOS mode" are you referring to WIn98 DOS Window or exiting to DOS.
Have you tried F8 booting to DOS 7 and run SNDINIT.EXE ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by chublord

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Horun, thanks for the reply. Even booting directly into DOS using F8, SNDINIT.EXE still returns the same error.

Not sure if its related but the CD-ROM audio is also not working.

IBM Valuepoint 486 DX4-100, Opti 802G, 50 MHz FSB, Voodoo1+S3 864, Quantum Fireball EX 4.0 GB, Seagate Medalist 1.6 GB, 128 MB FPM, 256k L2

Reply 3 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you see the card being detected when the BIOS runs its PnP routine at boot?

If so, try using Unisound instead and see what it finds.
If not, remove the card, clean the contacts and try to re-seat it, preferably in a different ISA slot.

Reply 4 of 4, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd start with booting clean DOS without any autoexec stuff and running NSSI to see if the card is detected in order to eliminate improper IRQ allocation by motherboard and narrow it down to driver problem.

My builds: 1995 VLB, 2003 Acrylic
SBEMU compatibility reports