VOGONS

DOSBox ECE (for Windows & Linux)

Topic actions

Reply 1380 of 1550, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a very general question. I've downloaded the latest ECE build and launched it on my laptop with Win XP and Pentium 4m 2400MHZ. No settings were changed in config file. And still in simple DOOM I'm getting almost 100% CPU load. A 2003 year cpu is not enough to play DOOM via emulation?

Tried surface and ddraw, no change.

Reply 1381 of 1550, by Ringding

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOS games did not throttle their CPU usage because it was mostly useless back then. The real question is: Is DOOM running smoothly or not?

And without native code generation via the dynamic-x86 core, that is, full software emulation, I would expect a Pentium 4 to be a tad too slow indeed.

Reply 1382 of 1550, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On a 2003 pc if you want to play doom on xp then you should use a port, chocolate for vanilla. If you don't want to use a port or boot to dos then vdmsound with ntvdm will work.

Game Port OS Compatibility

Last edited by DosFreak on 2021-09-02, 13:02. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1386 of 1550, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have a suggestion for ECE for crt and other shaders, which what im using to remember if i forget.

# glshader: A new package of CRT Screen shaders for DOSBox ECE, DOSBox currently includes two OpenGL outputs (opengl and openglnb).
# opengl enables bilinear filtering of the input source, while openglnb disables bilinear filtering and uses nearest neighbour scaling instead.
# openglnb has the same effect as the the filter_linear0 setting in RetroArch .glslp shader preset files.
# opengl is equivalent to the setting filter_linear0 = true, while openglnb is equivalent to filter_linear0 = false
# An example: fakelottes for game resolutions up to 640x480, easymode for game resolutions over 640x480, geom as a 'jack of all trades' for all resolutions.
# For more information, check https://github.com/tyrells/dosbox-svn-shaders and https://krystof.io/dosbox-shaders-comparison- … s-retro-gaming/
# Example values: crt/crt-aperture.glsl (uses Openglnb), crt/crt-easymode.glsl (openglnb), crt/crt-lottes-fast.glsl(opengl), crt/crt-nes-mini.glsl(opengl/openglnb), interpolation/pixel_perfect.glsl(openglnb).

Reply 1388 of 1550, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Delfino Furioso wrote on 2021-09-17, 12:47:

PSA: yesterplay.net seems to be down

Seems that I could enter the website (the link from Yesterplay80's sig) but unable to download the files. I got a 504 error in the place where the files can be downloaded after waiting a time.

Edit: Website is online once again with the files available to be downloaded.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 1389 of 1550, by jkapp976

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A lot of other DOSBox builds are getting composite CGA modes perfected. Like DOSBox-X, DOSBox Optionals, and DOSBox Staging. In PCJr and Tandy modes we have 3-voice music with composite 16 color graphics.

I really love playing my old CGA games in full color. I hope DOSBox ECE adds this feature soon.

Reply 1390 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-17, 13:06:
Delfino Furioso wrote on 2021-09-17, 12:47:

PSA: yesterplay.net seems to be down

Seems that I could enter the website (the link from Yesterplay80's sig) but unable to download the files. I got a 504 error in the place where the files can be downloaded after waiting a time.

Edit: Website is online once again with the files available to be downloaded.

I'm hosting my website on my NAS at home and since the latest update, it became basically unusable. 🙁 So, until I or Synology doesn't resolve this problem, please get the latest version of ECE from my Google Drive here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxEUS … 7mweueRbc7T4M8g

Sorry about the inconvenience!

Last edited by Yesterplay80 on 2021-10-06, 13:39. Edited 2 times in total.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 1392 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
twiz11 wrote on 2021-09-30, 23:48:

hmm i cant download ECE through the website

Did you even read the post right above yours?

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 1393 of 1550, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote on 2021-10-05, 08:01:
twiz11 wrote on 2021-09-30, 23:48:

hmm i cant download ECE through the website

Did you even read the post right above yours?

i did not, ECE is just source only, https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxEUS … 7mweueRbc7T4M8g that link works but I tried it but I saw no difference to regular Dosbox, plus I use Dosbox-X and D-Fend Reloaded.

I am I

Reply 1394 of 1550, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
twiz11 wrote on 2021-10-08, 01:09:

i did not, ECE is just source only, https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxEUS … 7mweueRbc7T4M8g that link works but I tried it but I saw no difference to regular Dosbox, plus I use Dosbox-X and D-Fend Reloaded.

No difference over vanilla DOSBox? Some of them are very obvious such as support of more than 64MB RAM, more accurate OPL3 emulation and 3Dfx DOS Glide.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 1395 of 1550, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-10-08, 04:11:
twiz11 wrote on 2021-10-08, 01:09:

No difference over vanilla DOSBox? Some of them are very obvious such as support of more than 64MB RAM, more accurate OPL3 emulation and 3Dfx DOS Glide.

you know I am at a loss, I like ECE, but its a combination between Dosbox-X, ECE, and D-Fend Reloaded

Dosbox-X has an interactive GUI that lets you change stuff on the fly without exiting and changing the conf then reopening

ECE I think is Dosbox on steroids

D-Fend Reloaded is a handy GUI wrapper for Dosbox which makes it easy to import games and configure them, it comes with templates for most known dos games, plus setting up options as well before first boot. It lets you change the default dosbox directory so you can switch it out for ECE, Dosbox-X etc.

Attachments

• Untitled3.png
    Filename
    Untitled3.png
    File size
    34.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Untitled2.png
    Filename
    Untitled2.png
    File size
    16.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Untitled.png
    Filename
    Untitled.png
    File size
    127.81 KiB
    Views
    File license

I am I

Reply 1396 of 1550, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
twiz11 wrote on 2021-10-10, 22:16:

Dosbox-X has an interactive GUI that lets you change stuff on the fly without exiting and changing the conf then reopening

The GUI originated from the defunct DOSBox SVN Daum branch by yhkwong which I liked for its flexibility. In addition to this DOSBox-X attempts to be more accurate compared to other forks and that's partly why it has a bit complex configuration file.

ECE I think is Dosbox on steroids

That's pretty much what the ECE fork actually is, a superset of vanilla DOSBox. 😀

D-Fend Reloaded is a handy GUI wrapper for Dosbox which makes it easy to import games and configure them, it comes with templates for most known dos games, plus setting up options as well before first boot. It lets you change the default dosbox directory so you can switch it out for ECE, Dosbox-X etc.

I used that frontend years prior joining this forum and it's very good for setting the optimal configuration for each DOS game. It also supports ScummVM for LucasArts games that uses the the SCUMM engine.

Reply 1398 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yesterplay80 wrote on 2021-09-24, 09:50:

I'm hosting my website on my NAS at home and since the latest update, it became basically unusable. 🙁 So, until I or Synology doesn't resolve this problem, please get the latest version of ECE from my Google Drive here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxEUS … 7mweueRbc7T4M8g

Sorry about the inconvenience!

I finally replaced my NAS with a new one and the ECE homepage should be reachable much better again!

Reply 1399 of 1550, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Going through the CRT shaders of recently, How it would be to make ECE work with libretro GLSL and GLSLP(shader packages like royale or its presets) shaders outside the existing support with is on the shaders thread?
it would be interesting to see this working on since RA has support for those shaders even on their dosbox core forks.