VOGONS

crt monitor

Topic actions

First post, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

iam using a real crt monitor for my 486 and left and right has black bars is this normal ?
can i adjust this

Reply 2 of 12, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Black bars on a CRT monitor is definitely normal around the sides if they are small. They're used for overscan and the VGA palette takes account of this. Sometimes it's used for aspect correction if the vertical resolution if higher than the horizontal.

However you better display a photo or video to see which screen is displaying these black bars on the left and right sides of the screen for a better answer as Joakim said.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An old early 90s monitor, you may have to twiddle knobs for the perfectly centered and screen filling picture every time you change screen modes. You may get fed up of this and find a compromise setting where at least nothing is disappearing off the edge in each mode. With buttons and likely an OSD onscreen digital display (sometimes a small LCD instead) you can bring up a menu and the adjustment will be for each screen mode. If monitor is left powered on standby, or if off and the lithium or NiCd battery that saves settings isn't dead, it will remember the settings for each screen mode.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 12, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In this case you must adjust the horizontal width as the right side is more visible than the left. There are knobs in that monitor that could adjust this and it seems that yours are likely behind and may require screwdriver.

It's normal that NumLock key does nothing on some programs and may act as a normal key instead.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 12, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah it has knobs on the back of the crt but when i turn it the image goes away like from the side i think the tube inside is smaller than the bezel if that makese sense wil upload a video

i think the screen is maxed out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc2OzeaRezw
but the colors are realy good

Reply 9 of 12, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems that the screen positioning is good enough except that the vertical size needs some small black bars since the sides are very close to the screen. 😀

Reply 11 of 12, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
scroeffie wrote on 2021-09-15, 18:52:

yeah it has knobs on the back of the crt but when i turn it the image goes away like from the side i think the tube inside is smaller than the bezel if that makese sense wil upload a video

i think the screen is maxed out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc2OzeaRezw
but the colors are realy good

Yea you found the knobs on the back. As others have said - Center the image, adjust size to fill screen, with a slight amount of black around the edges, fine tune as necessary. A lot of monitors had additional controls for pincushion, trapezoid, etc.

Every CRT has different amounts of play for adjustment. I have an Apple CRT which absolutely sucks when it comes to picture size. (dont mind the scan lines 😀 )

Attachments

• IMG_0174.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0174.JPG
    File size
    744.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 12 of 12, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

looks like my monitor is the same as yours in the picture ,there is 1 knob on the back when i turn it it does nothing .its called H phase 2
there is also H phase 1 and V size

Hyundai HCM-425E 14" 640 x 480