VOGONS

First post, by damocles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

first, hi to all.
i like this forum, it is very interesting for people (like me) have passion for old computers and hardware.
After several searches, I managed to have a sound canvas (SCB-55 doughter-board).
I tested using a sb16, it works well (there is the problem of hanging notes due to sb16).
But if i look the card, i see one track cut (open) in the PCB in the rear, and in the front another track open and two wires.
i don't know why this customization of the board.
does anyone know why?
it is very strange.

Attachments

• Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    190.47 KiB
    Downloads
    377 downloads
    File comment
    front view
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    143.99 KiB
    Downloads
    376 downloads
    File comment
    rear view
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that interesting, reminds me of modern day sound card mods for better sounds quality. how ever i think this was modded for different purpose maybe repair or compatibility of course that is just a wild guess. found this interesting, figured i'd toss my 2 cents in.

Reply 2 of 5, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Judging by the number on the PCB (the '2' behind the 'M'), this is an early revision of the SCB-55. I have read somewhere that early revisions of this board had the left and right channels reversed, so this cut and these patches might have a way to correct that.

Edit: yes, a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Wave_Blaster confirms that pins 20 and 24 are the ones for the right and left output channels.