First post, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone,

Just saw the news.

https://www.space.com/babylon-5-reboot-in-development

What do you think? Good or bad or neither/both or..?

I wonder how it will be different.
Will Sheridan or Sinclair turn female, change colour or become a Chinese?
Or all of them? 😜

I know, I'm going a bit too far maybe, but isn't that "in" nowadays?
Turn popular characters upside down and inside out or make them a minority
to appeal a specific audience, I mean ?

Just like Higgins in the new Magnum series or how Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica remake became a woman?

No offense, I'm not judging, it's just an observation.
In theory, these changes could be funny/interesting, also.

Or do the characters will now have a much more dark, depressing background resulting in mental breakdowns?
Just like in ST: Discovery?
That's in fashion, too, isn't it? Making things grim and people suffer.

Possibilities over possibilities.. ^^

Best regards,
Jo22

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 74, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As with all recent reboots, it's utterly unnecessary and will merely exist to rake in some cash for the current license holder while delivering a subpar product. And that's without accounting for the pandering to current day politics which is something no one wants in a sci-if show set in the future, yet Hollywood executives keep shoving it down our throats.

I miss the old days where good shows had quality writing and didn't feel the need to preach at the viewers all the time.

Also, why a reboot instead of a continuation? Maybe focused on David and Delenn (recast, sadly)? Or maybe something set even further into the future.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 74, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your thinking is interesting, IMHO. 👍

And how about some extra side stories about the colonies, the making/planning of Babylon 4, some background stories about the other species in Babylon 5 universe?
Or exploration missions (EAS Agamemnon, early ships with sleep chambers, etc) in unknown space?

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 74, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You must not be much of a Babylon 5 fan otherwise you'd know about Delenn. How about you quit with the fake controversy and wait until it comes out, JM knows what he's doing. Go back and watch B5 it was pretty dark for the time.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 74, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote on 2021-09-28, 10:38:

You must not be much of a Babylon 5 fan otherwise you'd know about Delenn. How about you quit with the fake controversy and wait until it comes out, JM knows what he's doing. Go back and watch B5 it was pretty dark for the time.

Hi. Um, was this response meant for me?
If so, I watched the whole series.
Well, as a kid, I thought it was totally strange/awkward, yes.
But I admit I learned to like the show as I was getting older.
It's a love letter to the 90s, the era of chances.

I also like the old props (CRTs of BabCom, early LCD panels) and the idea of artificial gravity by the use of centrifugal "force".
The latter reminds me of the space station shown in "2001 - A Space Odyssey", which is similar to Wernher von Braun's drawings.

Considering that I'm a Trekker, too, I'm unusually tolerant here, I think.
Most of them/most of us would probably do not so fair comparisons between ST:DS9 and B5 and would make fun of B5's early CGI, too.
I don't do that. I also like other SciFi series like SeaQuest DSV, Orville or Stargate. Or Space 2063, even. Heck, I've even watched Lexx: The Dark Zone/FarScape without going inside. 😎

What I can't stand, though, is the reboot of Battlestar Galactica from the early 2000s.
So here's my little rant :
All other people on earth seem to like it, but not me.
I think it's a hollow, superficial show with a flat story line, bad actors and too much drama.
It's completely melodramatic, I think. Also, the use of human looking Zylons (robots) was so Galactica 1980-ish.
The simple minded american show makers (imho) of the time probably thought
that this was somewhat ingenious, but in reality, it was just cheap/lazy (no costumes needed). Matching to the Zeitgeist of the 2000s, I think.
Except for some pretty computer graphics, that reboot had no depth. And maybe the pseudo character development and sad backstories.
But even in terms of computer graphics, the reboot was lousy and fake.
The original Galactica had functioning Tektronix terminals with storage tubes and real computer panels.
Realize: Everything shown in the original was REAL technology, thus!

That's why I have concerns when it comes to a Babylon 5 remake.
Imagine, they modernize it to match the Zeitgeist of the past years. That would be horrifying.
It would strongly cover topics like sexism, gender wars, racism, being offended culture, "wake" culture, excessive violence/gore, melancholy, and a dystrophic society.
And it would feature main characters struggling with their personality. Constantly.
In other words, it would loose all it's charms and warmth.
Or maybe, if we're lucky, it will come out as a parody of the original?

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 74, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, I'm open minded at the moment, but if they screw it up...

vir_cotto.jpg

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 74, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember when I heard about the BattleStar Galatica (BSG) reboot I groaned but I ended up really really liking it.
I will wait and see on Babylon 5... I have watched all episodes including the director commentary so there are quite a few shows that came about because of corporate decisions and staff changes that might be avoided...

Reply 10 of 74, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Carrera wrote on 2021-09-28, 13:01:

I remember when I heard about the BattleStar Galatica (BSG) reboot I groaned but I ended up really really liking it.
I will wait and see on Babylon 5... I have watched all episodes including the director commentary so there are quite a few shows that came about because of corporate decisions and staff changes that might be avoided...

Yah, I regard the original BSG as an artifact of the 1970s much as a coprolite is an artifact of the dinosaur era, and best left there. I kinda liked the reboot, watched it all the way through at least, though found the style a bit overblown at times, I can see where Jo is coming from with the melodrama thing, but the story kinda kept one interested.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 12 of 74, by will1384

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I liked Babylon 5 a lot, and would not mind a remake, unfortunately given the "Netflix" type approach it will likely be given, I suspect it will only be at most two seasons, and that likely means it will not get finished, or it will be very compressed with a lot of stuff left out from the original version.

BTW I hated the BattleStar Galatica reboot, I thought it was too violent and sad, also I hated the "lets throw all of our technology away and live has cave men, and blame technology for all of our problems" ending that it had, and that ending was just has bad has the ending to Lost, what a waste.

Reply 14 of 74, by ultimate386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The wife and I bonded over the BSG reboot. It was the catalyst that got us chatting at a group dinner when no one else there knew anything about the show. We are still married 13 years later 😀! I agree it had its lulls and groan moments, but I'm positive on the series as a whole. I never watched the original BSG series, so maybe going in not having any preconceived notions of what the show should be helped.

I also never got into Babylon 5 when it was originally running (much more of a Star Trek fan), so I don't really have any feelings one way or the other about a reboot. I guess I might check it out.

And speaking of Star Trek, I toughed out the first two seasons of Discovery, but season 3 absolutely turned me off (putting it nicely). Picard has kept me interested so far. Lower Decks, amazingly, has become one of my favorites series on TV now.

AMD386/IIT387DX40, 32MB, ATi Mach64, AWE64
Compaq Prolinea 4/33, 32MB, Tseng ET4000, SB16
AMD X5, 64MB, S3 Virge/Voodoo1, AWE64
AMD K62+550, 256MB, Voodoo3, AWE64 Gold
P3 1.2Ghz, 512MB, Radeon 7500/Voodoo2 SLI, SB Live!

Reply 15 of 74, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi! I din't know that. ^^; I'm sorry, maybe I was a bit to harsh with the BSG reboot, also, since I never watched the English original also.
I guess I mainly missed the rather positive, optimistic vibe of the original (-> we won't give up, we can overcome any obstacle) that gave me, as a viewer, hope.
And also a bit of the original's calm, reflective and respectful manner of acting/thinking in certain situations (I mean, it's about the survival of humanity, so that's not entirely wrong to do).
Also, personally I think, there's nothing wrong with a darker tone in scifi's, if there's some bit of humor left (I'm thinking of the old "Dark Star" movie right now).

That being said, when I opened/created that thread, I learned about another B5 related show:
https://www.cancelledscifi.com/2021/05/22/can … of-the-rangers/
So maybe the reboot will adopt some of the concepts seen in this show ?

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 74, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I liked the BSG reboot.

It's dark and messed up at times, and sometimes is a bit too much. But overall I enjoyed it. While the ending, giving up the technology and such, is not my cup of tea, I can sort of relate to why the characters would do it, which is enough for me.

I couldn't get very far into ST: Discovery though, it was messed up in the wrong ways and unbelievable in the Story World of Star Trek.

Regarding a Babylon 5 reboot, that is a big ask and they have some pretty big shoes to fill if they are going to make it work as well as the original. Will have to wait and see.

Reply 17 of 74, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just noticed that the reboot is going to air on the CW. With that in mind, I suppose we can expect a cheesy love triangle between Sheridan, Ivanova and Delenn with contemporary pop music playing in the background while they discuss their feelings in the hallway. 🙄

Obviously, I'm being sarcastic with regards to B5, but this is exactly what the CW's superhero shows look like. Flash, Arrow, Supergirl and such.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 18 of 74, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't mind if it's done like Flash, Supergirl etc, I find those watchable. Plus CW comes in good on the antenna and I can PVR it with a Hauppage card.

Reply 19 of 74, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-29, 02:26:

I wouldn't mind if it's done like Flash, Supergirl etc, I find those watchable. Plus CW comes in good on the antenna and I can PVR it with a Hauppage card.

Whoah! 😁 That brings back so many memories of my beloved old WinTV card!
It was an ISA version (full size) that came with Win 3.1 software.. 🙂

//My video channel//