VOGONS

First post, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I made another adapter, which could be interesting for some of you. It's a very inexpensive solution built around an Arduino. The most brain work was put into the software. Please feel free to visit following links for further information.

Introduction video on my Youtube Channel:
https://youtu.be/tSJLgCD8jeM

GitHub Project:
https://github.com/necroware/gameport-adapter

photo.jpg
Filename
photo.jpg
File size
83.18 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

My Youtube channel Necroware

Reply 1 of 69, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a very interesting project. I particularly like the cleverly implemented calibration solution.

Having recently re-acquired a CH Flightstick, I wholeheartedly agree that an old-school joystick is superb for DOS era flight and space sims. Of course, I'm using mine on an actual retro rig, but it's great that people with modern systems now have the option to use these joysticks too.

Excellent work!

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 69, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, the idea was to have a non destructive way of being able to use a retro joystick with the modern computer. There are many total conversions out there, but then, the joystick is not usable with the retro machines anymore. Though for analog joysticks, like CH Flightstick, a solution already exists and you can buy it. However, my adapter is more universal and open source, it supports also digital sidewinder joysticks and hopefully many more in the future.

Reply 3 of 69, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome.... I've got an old wheel and pedal set I'd really like to use.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 69, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got another two Joysticks working with my adapter. The list keeps growing and contains now following devices:

- Generic Analog (2-4 buttons, 2-4 axes)
- CH FlightStick Pro
- ThrustMaster
- Sidewinder GamePad
- Sidewinder 3D Pro
- Sidewinder Precision Pro
- Gravis GamePad Pro

Since the most analog joysticks are the generic ones or using either Thrustmaster or CH Flightstick Pro standard, means the adapter supports hundreds of joysticks already and I hope even more in the future.

Reply 5 of 69, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Excellent work! From what I've seen of the existing ones on the market, this leaves them in the dust for features. Love the auto-calibration (such a simple but perfect idea) and the care that has gone into compatibility.

The full 30 minute video is well worth watching, but if anyone doesn't have time, jump to 22:45 for hands-on goodness.

Reply 6 of 69, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Scorp kindly donated me an adapter for beta testing and all I have to say is:
It's a great piece of hard- & software for the retro community! Being open source adds an extra layer of kudos!

Booting up the old games with the "period correct" joystick makes me feel 14 again 😀

Hope we'll see the proposed online shop soon...

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 7 of 69, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd be curious to see how it goes with my favourite DOS controller: Re: Is there a DOS-compatible handheld gamepad with analog stick?

In terms of the inputs it offers, it's not too different from a joystick that makes use of several axes and all the buttons a gameport can handle. But it also has switches that allow you to swap analogue/digital on the fly, for example, swapping the thumbstick for the d-pad, or swapping the throttle slider for face buttons.

(But there's also probably no great reason to use this controller on a modern system. It's not like it's a classic stick or something - you'd probably just go with a DS4!)

Reply 8 of 69, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually I have a good use-case for this (including your DOS suggestion @Pierre32) - the early VIA EPIA 5000/800 boards have good DOS graphics + sound compatibility but do not have a gameport in hardware.
This device would be the perfect accessory for these boards.

Reply 9 of 69, by Shores

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can the Logitech ADI protocol be supported by this device? I own a Logitech CyberMan 2 which is ADI based, how can I help in getting this adapter to support these?

Everything that deserves to be done, should be done right.

Reply 11 of 69, by Shores

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
scorp wrote on 2021-09-28, 14:53:

I'm currently working on it and hope to release the new firmware soon....

Thanks! That is wonderful news! Please do tell me if I can help in any way!

Reply 12 of 69, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since I don't have a CyberMan 2, but only a Wingman Extreme Digital, you can test the implementation once it is released and tell me, if it works with your device. Both joysticks use the same protocol, but that doesn't mean, that there can not be some issues.

Reply 13 of 69, by Shores

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sure, do you sell the adapter, or at least the non standard main board, or a kit (i'd solder it if surface mounted parts are already soldered)?

Thanks!

Reply 14 of 69, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shores wrote on 2021-09-29, 08:31:

Sure, do you sell the adapter, or at least the non standard main board, or a kit (i'd solder it if surface mounted parts are already soldered)?

Thanks!

No, currently I don't sell the parts. I planned to make an online shop, but Germany is a complicated country....

Reply 16 of 69, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shores wrote on 2021-09-29, 08:39:

Ok, so how can I get one as to test it with my Cyberman2? 😀

Well, I guess, the easiest and the cheapest way is to build it yourself. All you need, you can find on the official project site. Even if I'd sell them, the shipping costs would be probably very high anyway, dependent on the place, where you live of course.

Reply 17 of 69, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
scorp wrote on 2021-09-29, 08:34:
Shores wrote on 2021-09-29, 08:31:

Thanks!

No, currently I don't sell the parts. I planned to make an online shop, but Germany is a complicated country....

I wonder if it is possible to get one of those Estonian e-citizenships and run it out of Estonian cyber territory.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 18 of 69, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-29, 18:43:

I wonder if it is possible to get one of those Estonian e-citizenships and run it out of Estonian cyber territory.

Too much of a headaches for a couple of Euro and I will never cover the investment anyway. I release everything I make open source, so everybody can easily produce the devices. A "thank you" is already a great reward for me and if someone wants to support me, my channel and my projects, there is still a paypal and a patreon accounts on my YouTube channel. I just leave it to the fairness of others.

Reply 19 of 69, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
scorp wrote on 2021-09-29, 19:03:
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-29, 18:43:

Too much of a headaches for a couple of Euro and I will never cover the investment anyway. I release everything I make open source, so everybody can easily produce the devices. A "thank you" is already a great reward for me and if someone wants to support me, my channel and my projects, there is still a paypal and a patreon accounts on my YouTube channel. I just leave it to the fairness of others.

Thank you for all the contributions you've made to the community. I've also subscribed to your YouTube channel and really enjoy watching the videos you've uploaded thus far.