VOGONS

Swaping DAC on SB16

Topic actions

First post, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awhile back I picked up this 2230 becasue it is a semi desirable card, just 1 problem it's only semi desirable because it has a noisy DAC. No problemo.

Step 1 desolder both dacs with hot air.
step 2 solder on the good dac on the sb16.
step 3 clean the card so its "LIKE NEW"
Step 4 now we have a desirable card.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    507.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    852.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 4.jpg
    Filename
    4.jpg
    File size
    219.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 5.jpg
    Filename
    5.jpg
    File size
    310.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 6.jpg
    Filename
    6.jpg
    File size
    440.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 4 of 43, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's definitely a worthwhile swap to do ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 43, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
georgel wrote on 2021-09-29, 18:55:
Tiido wrote on 2021-09-29, 15:26:

Destroying an ISA AWE64 card to improve a SB16 is extremely stupid.

I donno, maybe they value having legit OPL3 and a wavetable header over AWE capabilities.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 7 of 43, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is known about these DACs? For instance, are these Creative-marked ICs variants of other industry-standard parts, or do they have common pin assignments, so that one can just choose an off-the-shelf part for the replacement? One of these years, I may again want to play with a Creative card, but memories of the noise levels, among other things, often cause me to abandon the idea. It also seems somewhat wasteful to have to buy two Creative cards just to get one somewhat quiet one.

Reply 8 of 43, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Namrok wrote on 2021-09-29, 19:02:

I donno, maybe they value having legit OPL3 and a wavetable header over AWE capabilities.

I must be stupid, too then, because I thought about improving a SB16 CT1740 once. ;)
These 'Noise Blaster' are usually not held in high regards, but I value their jumper-based configuration a lot.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 43, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Namrok wrote on 2021-09-29, 19:02:

He can always solder the DAC from the CT2230 onto the AWE64 and still have a fully working card, albeit a bit more noisier 😊.

Reply 10 of 43, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
640K!enough wrote on 2021-09-29, 19:07:

What is known about these DACs? For instance, are these Creative-marked ICs variants of other industry-standard parts, or do they have common pin assignments, so that one can just choose an off-the-shelf part for the replacement? One of these years, I may again want to play with a Creative card, but memories of the noise levels, among other things, often cause me to abandon the idea. It also seems somewhat wasteful to have to buy two Creative cards just to get one somewhat quiet one.

I only know that the codec chip is remarked version of some Asahi Kasei stuff, but what exactly I am unsure. The pinout seems to mostly match the chip found on Yamaha DB60XG for example (which is also very noisy).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 11 of 43, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

😀 not really a waste if you think about it. The features of a 2230 make it a superior card to a awe64 value in a few ways. Real opl3 vs atrocious cqm. Wavetable header. Not pnp. Also it doesn’t have bugs just like the aw64. Plus this make it low noise like the awe and the aw64 was a parts card I didn’t buy it and I only paid 25 + free ship for sb16

Reply 12 of 43, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did someone one mention leveraging DACs out of one of a billion dead CDROM drives or audio players once or did I imagine it?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 13 of 43, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-09-29, 22:51:

😀 not really a waste if you think about it. The features of a 2230 make it a superior card to a awe64 value in a few ways. Real opl3 vs atrocious cqm. Wavetable header. Not pnp. Also it doesn’t have bugs just like the aw64. Plus this make it low noise like the awe and the aw64 was a parts card I didn’t buy it and I only paid 25 + free ship for sb16

There are plenty of SB16 clones and none of AWE card around. With or without "real" OPL3. Why? Because AWE is superior and is hard to be cloned. One have to clone a whole e-mu CPU/SP. The wavetable header connector is equal to a DB15F MIDI connector 😉 Unless you insist on plugging your joystick to your SB card instead of to a gazillion gameport cards. Jumers, vs. PNP, well you have at least three ways/programs to configure you card even on a 286 PCs! Just learn them! What you payed for the AWE card is completely irrelevant and is apart from all dependable on seller's knowledge. What are you boasting yourself for? For your soldering "skills"? Ridiculous.

Reply 14 of 43, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol,

Whatever people want to do with their own hardware is their own business. I'd be throwing stones in glass houses if I started ripping into people for trying to improve/repair their hardware. I'd be certainly disappointed if people were deliberately trashing rare hardware for no good reason, but I'd have no recourse against it in any case.

But the AWE64 Value is not rare. It is hardly even noteworthy. Neither is the CT2230 for that manner. Both are common cards.

I'll have to check my CT2230 (or was it CT2290, I can't remember) card and see what DAC it has on it. It seemed pretty good as it was though.

Reply 15 of 43, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canthearu wrote on 2021-09-30, 01:09:
Lol, […]
Show full quote

Lol,

Whatever people want to do with their own hardware is their own business. I'd be throwing stones in glass houses if I started ripping into people for trying to improve/repair their hardware. I'd be certainly disappointed if people were deliberately trashing rare hardware for no good reason, but I'd have no recourse against it in any case.

But the AWE64 Value is not rare. It is hardly even noteworthy. Neither is the CT2230 for that manner. Both are common cards.

I'll have to check my CT2230 (or was it CT2290, I can't remember) card and see what DAC it has on it. It seemed pretty good as it was though.

Owing something doesn't mean you can design or make it 😉 People own land but does this mean it is good to destroy/devastate it ? Or is it their own at all (maybe it belongs to Nature!). Destroying a no longer produced vintage card is stupid. It is common now but will it be common tomorrow?

Reply 16 of 43, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lol, […]
Show full quote

Lol,

I wouldn't say I actually "like" the AWE series, but the EMU8000 was a fine and interesting chip.
I'd love to see it being "freed" from those lower end AWE cards and being turned into a "Goldfinch" clone card with good shielding ang galvanic insulation, maybe spdif out, too. ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 43, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
georgel wrote on 2021-09-30, 01:18:
Lol, […]
Show full quote

Lol,

Owing something doesn't mean you can design or make it 😉 People own land but does this mean it is good to destroy/devastate it ? Or is it their own at all (maybe it belongs to Nature!). Destroying a no longer produced vintage card is stupid. It is common now but will it be common tomorrow?

I don't think we truly ever own the land, merely lease it for life... property taxes I guess, life-lease, like we don't really own the sound cards because we don't own the patents or designs behind it to recreate it or adapt it. ownership is a farce

I am I

Reply 18 of 43, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Calm down, you'll get the pro-youtubers excited about engagement potential, hater views are still views, and then we'll have Will It Blend:- Vintage Hardware Edition.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19 of 43, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
georgel wrote on 2021-09-30, 01:18:

Land is a different class of ownership than most other products though. Even so, you have a lot more leeway with what you can do on your land vs what you can do on public or other people's private land.

That said, for items like sound cards and computers in general, people are allowed to change/modify/destroy it in any manner they see fit. It is really a YOU problem if you feel that you need to control what other people do with the general property they own.