VOGONS

Mod Please Delete -- I'm going to redo this as retro PCs only

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last edited by aspiringnobody on 2021-10-01, 22:06. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 3 of 26, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aspiringnobody wrote on 2021-09-29, 05:53:

All it does is host our plex instance that essentially never gets used and sync our file backups with dropbox. As you point out total waste of a workstation.

It's a total waste of many things. You could re-sell it as a gaming rig for a very good price, buy something more low-end for home server purposes. You'd make a lot of money back and save some more on your electricity bill. You could build one just on the price of the RX580 alone.

I use a passively cooled G4930T based system as a home server and it does everything it needs to be done.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 4 of 26, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aspiringnobody wrote on 2021-09-29, 05:24:
IBM Netvista A40p CPU: Intel Pentium III @ 1GHz RAM: 512MB PC-133 (2x256MB) HDD: 250GB Samsung EVO 840 (128GB recognized) FDD: G […]
Show full quote

IBM Netvista A40p
CPU: Intel Pentium III @ 1GHz
RAM: 512MB PC-133 (2x256MB)
HDD: 250GB Samsung EVO 840 (128GB recognized)
FDD: Gotek + 3.5" internal drive connected via USB
OPTICAL: 48X CD-ROM Drive
GPU: 128MB ATi Radeon 9600xt
SOUND: Creative Soundblaster PCI/128

Are you using a PCI SATA card for the Samsung SSD, and if so, what kind? Thanks!

Reply 5 of 26, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2021-09-29, 06:08:

It's a total waste of many things. You could re-sell it as a gaming rig for a very good price, buy something more low-end for home server purposes. You'd make a lot of money back and save some more on your electricity bill. You could build one just on the price of the RX580 alone.

I use a passively cooled G4930T based system as a home server and it does everything it needs to be done.

Total agree.
My home "server" runs FreeBSD on a ZOTAC D2550-ITX WiFi Supreme, using an Intel 4-port ethernet card on the PCI-E slot.
Completely sufficient for internet firewalling, DNS caching, domain filtering (e.g. no adblockers needed on client PCs), dual-drive mirrored ZFS based file server and some other small service "servers".

It is not completely wasteless, though.
The PSU (standard ATX) is grossly oversized with its 300W. Even with its 80plus Bronze cert it probably is the biggest wattage consumer in that rig.
The onboard GT610 only does text mode (tbh, no need for GUI on a server).
The CPU fan is not really necessary, but I am too lazy to fit a passive cooler.

Even with this "waste", this whole "server" probably uses less energy than just the CPU of the OP's server (and probably also cost less).

Reply 8 of 26, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aspiringnobody wrote on 2021-09-29, 18:59:

the RX580 wasn't even good when it was new over five years ago.

I disagree on that as well. The RX580 was a very decent grahics card for the price and aged very well.

Reply 9 of 26, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Other people have posted in this thread, so we probably won't.

Why not edit your post(s) in this thread to suit your needs?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 10 of 26, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2021-10-01, 14:03:

Other people have posted in this thread, so we probably won't.

Why not edit your post(s) in this thread to suit your needs?

Because the point of this thread was supposed to be my vintage pcs and instead it is a discussion of why I'm an idiot for having enough money to not need to part out my old gaming rig.

I'll just edit it to nothing and make a new thread, I just didn't want to clutter this forum up with two threads.

Edit: to put that another way I guess you could say the above responses hurt my feelings, come to a new forum, for a new hobby (fixing up old PCS), post a list of what I've collected and then get told that my modern PCS are wasteful and I should sell them.

That wasn't what I wanted this thread to be. Sorry.

Reply 11 of 26, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aspiringnobody wrote on 2021-10-01, 22:02:

Because the point of this thread was supposed to be my vintage pcs and instead it is a discussion of why I'm an idiot for having enough money to not need to part out my old gaming rig.

It's not about you being an idiot for having money to keep around your previous gaming rig. It's about you being an idiot for wasting good tech firsz and money regardless if you have enough or not second.

Reply 12 of 26, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Noticed strange thread title, got curious.

All I'll say is: the concerted criticism of one or two people is not representative of the community at large. Not to sound douchebaggingly patronising, but often on public forums there's a need to spot a petty argument from a distance and just consciously drive on around it. 😀

Reply 14 of 26, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2021-10-02, 06:06:
aspiringnobody wrote on 2021-10-01, 22:02:

It's not about you being an idiot for having money to keep around your previous gaming rig. It's about you being an idiot for wasting good tech firsz and money regardless if you have enough or not second.

Not that I want to really continue this line of argument -- but so that you understand -- the amount of time it would take me to set up something new, copy 14tb of data, setup data backups and cloud syncing, and then part out, sell and ship the components in the old PC is likely at least 8 hours. I could go to work, get paid overtime, and make more money in that same 8 hours than the 500-1000 that this PC would make me (after buying something more 'economical' to replace it). And that isn't even considering how hard it would be to piece together a PC at this point with the shortages.

It's like selling your house right now when the market is red hot. Yes you will make extra money -- but you'll also need to spend extra money to have someplace new to live. Nothing is free.

So, it would COST me money to "save money." My free time is worth more than that to me, for at best a break even scenario.

Reply 15 of 26, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canthearu wrote on 2021-10-02, 06:35:

This thread makes me want to add RGB and a 3080 to my server, just to spite the people in this thread who have nothing better to do than to pick on a new person for having a server made of spare hardware. Because screw them.

I wish I could find a 3080 -- my Vega 64 is getting a little long in the tooth!

Reply 16 of 26, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aspiringnobody wrote on 2021-10-02, 07:20:

I wish I could find a 3080 -- my Vega 64 is getting a little long in the tooth!

I can certainly get one ... but the prices are just super scary!

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/193_2126/ … eforce-rtx-3080

So I don't have one ... I have to make do with the 2070 Super I got back before the pandemic started.

We certainly live in interesting times.

Edit: I picked up a RX570 4gig for $150 AU pre-pandemic too ... I thought I got a really average deal on that BEFORE everything changed!

Reply 18 of 26, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote on 2021-10-02, 08:35:

I just wanted to say that a forum thread is not a private notebook, everyone can jump in and write whatever.
And that I also want a job that pays 1000+ / 8 hours

But in fairness, I'd expect posts on a vintage computer forum to be somewhat constrained to vintage computers.

But to each their own. Saves me the trouble of taking pictures of all my vintage pcs and documenting them since, you know, no one cares anyway.

Reply 19 of 26, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe you shouldn't have posted your modern PCs in 'Marvin, the Paranoid Android\System Specs' if you don't want to discuss them, instead leave them for 'Heart of Gold\Milliways' if you really need to.